Selling and Shipping Ammo

jmez

WKR
All ammunition will, or should have that label. Not all boxes that have that label will contain ammunition or cartridges.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

BjornF16

WKR
All ammunition will, or should have that label. Not all boxes that have that label will contain ammunition or cartridges.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk
Yes…and UPS stipulates that ammunition with the hazardous materials, limited quantity “square on point” label:

“Cartridges, small arms may be shipped only through a UPS Scheduled Pickup Account using various UPS pickup services or through a UPS Customer Center (counters at UPS operational facilities).
Cartridges, small arms are not accepted for shipment via UPS Drop Boxes, and may not be tendered to or dropped off at locations of The UPS Store® or any third-party retailer or UPS Access Point™ location.
Domestic cartridges, small arms shipments that meet the exception for Limited Quantity packages and that comply with all UPS requirements for the shipment of ammunition (as set forth in the above guidelines and UPS Terms) may be delivered by UPS to a third-party retailer or UPS Access Point™ location in the United States.”

Macintosh

WKR
Yes…and UPS stipulates that ammunition with the hazardous materials, limited quantity “square on point” label:

“Cartridges, small arms may be shipped only through a UPS Scheduled Pickup Account using various UPS pickup services or through a UPS Customer Center (counters at UPS operational facilities).
Cartridges, small arms are not accepted for shipment via UPS Drop Boxes, and may not be tendered to or dropped off at locations of The UPS Store® or any third-party retailer or UPS Access Point™ location.
Domestic cartridges, small arms shipments that meet the exception for Limited Quantity packages and that comply with all UPS requirements for the shipment of ammunition (as set forth in the above guidelines and UPS Terms) may be delivered by UPS to a third-party retailer or UPS Access Point™ location in the United States.”
As I read this, it sounds like you need a pickup account to ship, or you have to go through a “Customer Center”. And that it must be delivered to a retailer or “UPS Access Point”.

So, can Joe Q Public walk into a ups hub and ship a box of ammunition labeled with the limited qty hazmat label to another persons home? The above makes it sound like you cannot officially do that.

BjornF16

WKR
As I read this, it sounds like you need a pickup account to ship, or you have to go through a “Customer Center”. And that it must be delivered to a retailer or “UPS Access Point”.

So, can Joe Q Public walk into an ups hub and ship a box of ammunition labeled with the limited qty hazmat label to another persons home? The above makes it sound like you cannot officially do that.
I never had any issue shipping to a private residence

Unckebob

WKR
A few years ago, I sold some cartridges and had to ship them UPS. I went all the way to their customer center, declared what I had, and watched the clerk send it with no markings.

No, I have some 6cm factory match rounds that I want to get rid off (sold the rifle). It is more hassle than it is worth to deal to sell and ship the ammo.

REP

FNG
Classified Approved
USPS makes up rules as they go along. I stopped trying to ship anything firearm related via USPS long ago when they told me that what I wanted to ship was a violation of federal law for me to ship it. I told them that was wrong, and that federal law did allow me to ship the article I was shipping to a person in the same state I lived in. So, they decided that it was USPS policy to not ship firearms or ammunition...unless I had an FFL...period. No reason to converse with them any further. I went to my local FFL who shipped the item for me to the person I wanted to ship it to. Of course, we both paid a nuisance fee, me to my FFL to ship and him to receive from his FFL.

REP

FNG
Classified Approved
Sorry for the arrangement of the message and the quote. I am learning this system.

robtattoo

WKR
Without wanting to incriminate myself......
Who the hell tells shipping companies what's in a package? *shrugs
I've always packaged it in styrofoam so it can't rattle & taken it to the post office. I didn't even know you couldn't do it & they seem to not care.

Rich M

WKR
I've always packaged it in styrofoam so it can't rattle & taken it to the post office. I didn't even know you couldn't do it & they seem to not care.
1 issue and you are toast.

Not worth the risk says i.

Macintosh

WKR
For what it's worth, my local UPS HUB just refused to ship ammo for me. Not a UPS store, the Hub, with the big "customer center" sign. Properly packaged, properly marked (in the same very good shape box that it shipped to me in, direct from the manufacturer), every single I dotted and T crossed per UPS's online info...and I got the "Sorry, we do not take that type of package here" direct from the manager. Apparently there is a local gun shop that will ship it for me so in this case hopefully OK, but thought it was worth letting anyone know...possibly coming to a UPS hub near you.

Unckebob

WKR
For what it's worth, my local UPS HUB just refused to ship ammo for me. Not a UPS store, the Hub, with the big "customer center" sign. Properly packaged, properly marked (in the same very good shape box that it shipped to me in, direct from the manufacturer), every single I dotted and T crossed per UPS's online info...and I got the "Sorry, we do not take that type of package here" direct from the manager. Apparently there is a local gun shop that will ship it for me so in this case hopefully OK, but thought it was worth letting anyone know...possibly coming to a UPS hub near you.

I have some 6CM ammo I want to sell, but I don't want to go through the hassle.

Michael Pawul

Lil-Rokslider
I had the same thing happen the last time I shipped ammo. It cannot be shipped air, and I ended up having to have it picked up at my house. It was a bit of a pain in the ass to jump through the hoops, but after I got it all figured out it was a fairly simple process from that point forward.

I've done this before when the buyer's requested it and understood the package may get confiscated. Just pack in a USPS Priority box securely and they pick it up from my house. I haven't done it a lot, probably 5 times or so, but there's never been an issue. Having said that, after discovering Pirate Ship I just send everything UPS and don't tell them what's in the box, again never an issue.

Unckebob

WKR
I've done this before when the buyer's requested it and understood the package may get confiscated. Just pack in a USPS Priority box securely and they pick it up from my house. I haven't done it a lot, probably 5 times or so, but there's never been an issue. Having said that, after discovering Pirate Ship I just send everything UPS and don't tell them what's in the box, again never an issue.

What is Pirate Ship?

What is Pirate Ship?
Above post is correct, WAY cheaper. Yes I drop off at UPS Store but I reuse boxes with the ORM-D stickers already on them, figure if they ever ask I'll tell them it's just a reused box but they don't ask. Then again usually my wife drops boxes off, so she can just honestly say she doesn't know. You can also just give it to any UPS driver, they won't care.