Seekins Havak stock?

idahodave

WKR
Just purchased a Seekins Havak PH2 in 7mm Rem Mag. Very excited to set it up and get to shooting. Was wondering about the stock though. The internet has spoken, and SWEARS the stock is carbon fiber...but man I'm having a hard time believing that. Seekins web-site says the same for what that's worth.

In addition to the fact that it LOOKS like a plastic stock and it FEELS like a plastic stock in every way, there are pretty obvious "mold" lines on the bottom of it. I knew that when I bought it of course and it doesn't diminish my excitement at all,...but I'm very curious as to what it is I'm missing here.

Thoughts?

Dave

slowelk

WKR
I think the terminology the website uses is "carbon composite", which to me means it's a blend of maybe 5-10% carbon fiber, then the rest is a polymer (plastic). I don't know enough about those materials and melding them together, but I don't think they'd blatantly lie about the composition.

That said, I have been through the wringer with them about options for either purchasing their in-house 100% carbon fiber stock that's available through their custom shop which I've received multiple hard "No" answers on. Then they will not share anything about the proprietary contour of their barrel.

I've worked with both Manners and McMillan on options. McMillan actually has inlet for a Seekins, and told me the barrel is like a rock creek 4.5 and it's a 700 footprint (footprint info is not a secret). The atypical portion is the bottom metal and magazine. Manners was willing to inlet for it, but wanted the barreled action, bottom metal, and magazine sent in.

Not wanting to go through the whole tedious process, I've decided to stick with the factory composite stock since it shoots great and the ergonomics are good enough.

Feel free to send me a PM if you want any more info.

OP
idahodave

idahodave

WKR
Appreciate the intel slowelk. That all generally meshes up with my own thoughts.

I think the stock is “fine” honestly…I just wasn’t buying that it was carbon fiber.

OP
idahodave

idahodave

WKR
For what it's worth, I pulled the stock off and weighed it at exactly 30 ounces. I will also note it's stiff as heck. I don't know what it's made out of at this point, but it's (relatively) light and structurally sound. The bedding job from the factory as pretty great as well.

Dave

Bump.

Has anyone found any good aftermarket stocks for the Seekins Precision Havak PH2? After looking for quite some time I only know of one option, and that is the Grayboe Phoenix 2. A lot of people have said that any Rem 700 style inlet should work, but after talking with Seekins they told me that their action is actually slightly thinner than the Rem 700 footprint, which leads me to my next question...

If that's the only difference, (aside from their proprietary mag and bottom metal, which I plan on changing anyway), do you think a 700 footprint might work as long as the action is bedded to the stock? I'm just looking for different opinions because while I don't hate the Havak PH2 stock, it's definitely not my favorite. I like the Grayboe Phoenix 2 but just want to evaluate all my options.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
In the stock on the ph2 and the element is the same? Or does the element have an upgraded stock?

JCMCUBIC

WKR
I believe the outer dimensions of the stock on the PH2 and Element are the same and I believe the material is the same. The inlet for the action is very different between the two because the actions have a VERY different footprint.

Jmort1754

WKR
If you look in the thread "I think this will work" there is a 9 shot group. I am out of town for work, when I get home I'll get some of the targets. NVM found the thread