Seekins Havak Element 6.5 PRC

bergie

Lil-Rokslider
I have my newest rifle on order. I do not reload (yet) so those of you with a Seekins, tell me what factory ammo you use that shoots the best. I switched to copper bullets a few years ago, NOT for any hippy California Condor reasons as my buddies like to berate me for, but because the meat loss from blood shot when my aim is not perfect and creeps into the shoulder has been fantastic compared to lead core bullets I've used in the past. I bought some Nosler 120 gr E-tip, Barnes 127 gr LRX and Hornady 130 gr CX to test out when the rifle get here, but am open to others. Now is also the time to sell me on why the 143 ELD-X is the best thing to happen to the modern world as I am possibly open to trying that or others.

axeforce6

WKR
I’ve had a few different rifles in 6.5prc. The precision hunter and match by Hornady have shot really well in all of them.

I tend to geek out on reloading and worked hard to get my Seekins Element 6.5 PRC to shoot better than Hornady Precision hunter but I could not. I found this out while sighting in a new scope so I ran back to the store and bought 10 more boxes of the same lot.

If it's your first Seekins you will love it! Fantastic company.

OP
bergie

bergie

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like I'll pick up a box of the precision hunter and test that as well. I should have stated I am interested in hunting loads only. Will be shooting it at the range plenty, but only to build confidence for hunting purposes. That being said, for those who use the match bullets, how does the ELD-M perform in hunting scenarios where shots are less than say 200 yards?

rlenz

FNG
Shot 2 does at 100 yards this year with 6.5 prc eldm. they were effective but destructive. Both were full pass through. 1 went through both shoulders. I will stick to copper in my PRC since I dont shoot over 400 yards. i do like the elds in my 6.5 grendel since they are going slower and less destructive at slower speeds

mitchparker1980

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like I'll pick up a box of the precision hunter and test that as well. I should have stated I am interested in hunting loads only. Will be shooting it at the range plenty, but only to build confidence for hunting purposes. That being said, for those who use the match bullets, how does the ELD-M perform in hunting scenarios where shots are less than say 200 yards?
Lots of guys use the eld(m) with great results on game. If you're going to try the ELD loads/bullets, I would encourage you to try both the X and the M and use whichever one shoots better in your rifle.

LRX is what I’d run if it shoots.

I’d buy some Norma match ammo to run through it first and get some rounds on the barrel and break it in though since it generally shoots well and is reasonably priced. Then clean it good and test the all copper bullets.

I’ve found the all copper bullets the copper foul a barrel much more than cup and core bullets and they tend to be pretty picky in a fresh barrel and a dirty barrel so they might not shoot as great and you might dismiss them as inaccurate.

I’ve bought 3 Seekins rifles in the last few months and they’ve all been shooters right out of the gate but I haven’t shot any solid copper bullets in them yet.

This was rounds 2-6 out of one of them at 100. All I did from new was run a few wet patches through it and then dry patch as I always do with a new rifle and then fired one sighter which was on paper, made and adjustment and shot this. The subsequent groups have also been excellent but I was just impressed that a new factory barrel that’s not hand lapped shot sun 1/2moa from the start. Then two more rifles did the same thing.

Attachments

• IMG_0396.jpeg
    IMG_0396.jpeg
    471.7 KB · Views: 17
OP
bergie

bergie

Lil-Rokslider
LRX is what I’d run if it shoots.

I’d buy some Norma match ammo to run through it first and get some rounds on the barrel and break it in though since it generally shoots well and is reasonably priced. Then clean it good and test the all copper bullets.

I’ve found the all copper bullets the copper foul a barrel much more than cup and core bullets and they tend to be pretty picky in a fresh barrel and a dirty barrel so they might not shoot as great and you might dismiss them as inaccurate.

I’ve bought 3 Seekins rifles in the last few months and they’ve all been shooters right out of the gate but I haven’t shot any solid copper bullets in them yet.

This was rounds 2-6 out of one of them at 100. All I did from new was run a few wet patches through it and then dry patch as I always do with a new rifle and then fired one sighter which was on paper, made and adjustment and shot this. The subsequent groups have also been excellent but I was just impressed that a new factory barrel that’s not hand lapped shot sun 1/2moa from the start. Then two more rifles did the same thing.
Good advice! I had planned on running groups of 3 shots of each type while measuring velo and also noting the group size. Each day I would shoot every type and clean it at the end before repeating the next time out. Now though, I think I will do some barrel break in with cheaper ammo and begin my testing once that is finished.

Good advice! I had planned on running groups of 3 shots of each type while measuring velo and also noting the group size. Each day I would shoot every type and clean it at the end before repeating the next time out. Now though, I think I will do some barrel break in with cheaper ammo and begin my testing once that is finished.

If you’re going to do that I would just shoot one type of ammo per day and clean. Fouling from different loads can effect each other significantly, it’s not uncommon to have to shoot several rounds of a new type of ammo over existing fouling for it to settle in or for it to just not shoot well at all until it’s cleaned. I have experienced that the most with all copper bullets too, specifically LRX’s.

OP
bergie

bergie

Lil-Rokslider
If you’re going to do that I would just shoot one type of ammo per day and clean. Fouling from different loads can effect each other significantly, it’s not uncommon to have to shoot several rounds of a new type of ammo over existing fouling for it to settle in or for it to just not shoot well at all until it’s cleaned. I have experienced that the most with all copper bullets too, specifically LRX’s.
Good to know thank you! The idea of doing each per day was to attempt to keep climatic conditions similar but the whole point of this exercise is to find the facorty ammo that the gun will shoot best. Adding additional variables of barrel fouling into that mix is not something I am interested in.

Good to know thank you! The idea of doing each per day was to attempt to keep climatic conditions similar but the whole point of this exercise is to find the facorty ammo that the gun will shoot best. Adding additional variables of barrel fouling into that mix is not something I am interested in.

If you want to find what shoots best then starting with a clean barrel that has had some break in is going to give you the best results. Then if you wish to shoot multiple loads test those after the fact to see what effects shooting one after the other may have.

Just clean it moderately and then run a couple patches of denatured alcohol down it to neutralize any solvent residue for the best results.

Wapiti7

FNG
You can try em all, but you'll end up with 143 ELDX. I tried 4 or 5 in my PH2 6.5 and the ELDX was shockingly accurate. Performed well on two antelope (630 yards, 375 yards) and one cow elk (330 yards). Nothing inside 200 though.

That gun is sweet!!!!!!!!

OP
bergie

bergie

Lil-Rokslider
Where did you order it? Been keeping an eye out for one in stock
It's on backorder from Eurooptic. They said in December would be 2-4 months. They se to have great customer service so far, gave me a good deal. I will have a better opinion when I get the rifle in though.

Fatvis

FNG
Thanks For the info. Been watching the site but I ought to just backorder as well. What scope are you planning to run?

OP
bergie

bergie

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks For the info. Been watching the site but I ought to just backorder as well. What scope are you planning to run?
Going with the Leupold VX6 3-18....they gave me a good deal on that as well. If you want I can PM you the guy I have been in contact with over there. He has answered all my questions and has been super helpful.

Fatvis

FNG
Going with the Leupold VX6 3-18....they gave me a good deal on that as well. If you want I can PM you the guy I have been in contact with over there. He has answered all my questions and has been super helpful.
Sure that would be great thank you

Jfjfrye

Lil-Rokslider
Just run the 156 bergers. The Ballistics on those are crazy. Plug them into your app and you will not be able shoot out of the effective range of that bullet. Crazy good bc.