Seekins Element 6.5 PRC or 7 PRC??

OP
bridgerlabau
I have the element in both the 6.5 PRC and the 7 PRC. I would say the recoil is noticeably different. The 6.5 is an easy shooter with no brake. When the 7 arrived in came with a brake but I did not put it on for the first range day. Pfffft who needs a brake??!! For me the 7 PRC had a very sharp recoil making it difficult to stay in the glass. I ended up putting the brake on. I think the magic ticket for me would be the PH2 for $1700 and then send it to seekins for a $550 barrel swap. You get a little more weight over the element, the barrel length of your choice and a steel receiver over aluminum. A little weight wont hurt with the 7mm PRC. You could probably sell the original 7mm PRC barrel here especially if it has zero rounds through it. If you get to northern Nevada Reno area I am happy to let you shoot both of them.
Thank you for your information, much appreciated!

OP
bridgerlabau
I started with the 6.5 PRC loved it and then built a 300 PRC. The 300 with a break kicks less than the 6.5 without. Just finished building the 7 PRC because it seems like the sweet spot in the middle of two greats. The 6.5 without a break is hard to see impact at times and the 300 is overkill for some situations, at least that's how I have convinced myself.....
I have a friend who's killed a pile of Elk with the 6.5, it will do the job.
I agree the 7 seems like a pretty good in the middle gun, 300 seems overkill for a lot of hunting situations

OP
bridgerlabau
For all who have followed the thread. I ended up buying a 6.5 PRC element, found it on sale and was able to get it for $2480 out the door. At the time they didn't have any 7 PRCs available so I figured the 6.5 PRC would do at that price! Excited to get my hands on it

Fuenstock

FNG
I have a pair of savage 110 ultra lites. One in 6.5 prc and one in 7prc.
Both with salmon river solutions lil chub breaks.
Rifle weights minus ammo and bipods,
6.5 prc weights 8lb 6oz
7prc weights 8lbs 8oz

A few days ago I toke both to sight in and collect range info for ballistics.

Fired around 30 rounds from each. Besides the 7prc being slightly harder to spot shots in the scope the recoil difference between the both to me was very minimal and a non issue.

Both will kill elk but the 7prc will have a longer effective range.

Here’s a picture comparing hornady cx outfitter,
6.5 prc 130gr.
7prc 160gr.

06E1C276-AB5B-4B9F-AED9-9ABC477DAE71.jpeg

K1jerry

FNG
I'm running the Havak Element in a 308 and have put 200 rounds down range so far with 165-175 grn bullets. No break on it. Gun comes in at 6.95lbs with a vx5 3-15. I don't give recoil a second thought off the bench. So with a break on your rig it would be fine.

Sweet! Let us know how the 6.5 shoots. I've considering these 2 options as well. A little concerned about ammo availability for the 7 PRC, so I'm leaning towards 6.5 right now. Also trying to decide if I want to build one or just buy once cry once with the Element.

Boltgun

FNG
Glad to hear you found one you like, OP. I’m using 6.5 PRC, and the recoil is plenty for me. Not that it’s unpleasant to shoot, but maintaining sight picture during recoil, and fatigue after a day of shooting are noticeable.

I think we often equate “not painful” with “manageable recoil”, but it factors in other ways too.

Also read the 223 for bear, elk, moose thread if you have concerns with 6.5 being plenty for elk!

Calbuck

WKR
Hey guys looking for opinions on what to buy in a Seekins Element 6.5 PRC or 7 PRC??

I’m thinking I’m pretty sold on the Seekins Element, living in Boise and having Seekins fairly close is very encouraging. Seems like everyone has had very good experiences as well with Seekins. I held the Element and the PH2 in person and was immediately sold on the Element from a weight and size perspective. My question is how much more significant is the recoil on the 7 vs the 6.5 on a gun this light?? I would love to shoot them side by side but no shop is gonna let me try that unfortunately. Looking for real world answers on whether or not you think a 6 pound gun (8-8.5 loaded) in a 7 prc is a bad idea??

Either caliber I choose will have a brake on it and I have a Maven 4-24x50 RS 5 to top it off with. What do you guys think??
If recoil is an issue with either of these guns, I suggest you step back, sip your Bud Light and reconsider your life goals. Maybe hunting isn't for you..

GotDraw?

WKR
For God's sake man, you are clearly missing the point of Rokslide... Buy both.
Shoot the hell outta the 6.5 at the range to protect your shoulder.
Carry the 7 in the field.

Voila!

Caliber problem solved!

Now then, budgetary family discussions are another thing entirely.

JL

surfr716

FNG
i havent shot the 7 prc but i have the element in 6.5 prc. in that weight rifle, with light glass, the recoil wont punish you by any means but from awkward field positions itll will take you off target and can make spotting impact a little tough. i dont think id want anything more.
on a side note the seekins rifles flat shoot, both my element in 6.5 prc and my buddies ph2 in 6.5 prc will hold sub half moa with quite a few factory offerings. mine really likes the 156 berger eol loads and the hornady outfitter 130 cx. my buddies ph2 likes the 143 eld-x offerings. the ph2 wiith its longer barrel gets the velocity nod by about 50 fps. but you pay for it a little in weight.

michaema2

FNG
i havent shot the 7 prc but i have the element in 6.5 prc. in that weight rifle, with light glass, the recoil wont punish you by any means but from awkward field positions itll will take you off target and can make spotting impact a little tough. i dont think id want anything more.
on a side note the seekins rifles flat shoot, both my element in 6.5 prc and my buddies ph2 in 6.5 prc will hold sub half moa with quite a few factory offerings. mine really likes the 156 berger eol loads and the hornady outfitter 130 cx. my buddies ph2 likes the 143 eld-x offerings. the ph2 wiith its longer barrel gets the velocity nod by about 50 fps. but you pay for it a little in weight.
I just got an element in a 6.5 PRC and I concur. The light rifle (and stiffer buttpad) results in significantly higher felt recoil than other 6.5's I've got in more conventional "lightweight" guns (Browning x-bolt & Fierce Edge). The gun shoots great though, 10 shot groups in 3/4 MOA with factory loads. However, my big concern is velocity. I'm only getting 2650 fps with the Hornady factory match rounds. That same round shoots 2950 in my Fierce and 2900 in my Browning. Its like Creedmoor speed! Fortunately, I just started reloading about a year ago and I am hoping I can make up some of that difference with some specialty handloads. But I am still a reloading rookie. Any suggestions for loads that will generate more speed in that short barrell?

surfr716

FNG
I just got an element in a 6.5 PRC and I concur. The light rifle (and stiffer buttpad) results in significantly higher felt recoil than other 6.5's I've got in more conventional "lightweight" guns (Browning x-bolt & Fierce Edge). The gun shoots great though, 10 shot groups in 3/4 MOA with factory loads. However, my big concern is velocity. I'm only getting 2650 fps with the Hornady factory match rounds. That same round shoots 2950 in my Fierce and 2900 in my Browning. Its like Creedmoor speed! Fortunately, I just started reloading about a year ago and I am hoping I can make up some of that difference with some specialty handloads. But I am still a reloading rookie. Any suggestions for loads that will generate more speed in that short barrell?
reloader 26 if you can find it will gain you a lot of speed without increasing pressure. pretty sure its witch craft. magpro does well in gaining velocity with the heavier stuff and seems extremely consistent, cant speak to its temp stability though. my seekins gets about 2850 with the 156 eol over 61 gr of magpro and single digit sd and es.

michaema2

FNG
Wow sweet! That's great velocity with those eol bullets. I just found a box of them last week and haven't reloaded any yet. I'll have to try that. Do you have the Seekins Element (that has the short barrel)?

Larry62

FNG
Dont sweat the recoil i have been shooting a ruger go wild in 7prc for about 6 months and love it. can sit down and shoot a box of ammo without a sore shoulder. Ordered a havak pro hunter in that caliber for main hunting rig. Basiclly does everything i need in a rifle, and by the way it does shoot very well for a cheap rifle. 7mm high balistic coefficient, flat shooting, what more could you want except maybe a magnetic accelorator, but i dont no of any shoulder fired options yet?