Seek outside/Xpac fabric noise

Moellermd

FNG
Was looking at getting a Seek outside pack for hunting and ordered a talon daypack to check out there product. The fabric their packs are made of seem like it would be noisy in the field especially in the cold. I have never had a pack made with xpac fabric before. Any thoughts?

Stuart

FNG
I do notice that it may be a little louder than cordura but it is a very durable and waterproof material. You are only going to get leaks at the seams and stitches if it is not sealed properly.
It's a bit stiffer. If you're trying to sneak through brush, you will hear scratching.
It all depends on the uses.
I do not know how easy it is to work and craft with.
Great stuff.

n8tivenv

Lil-Rokslider
I have both the expedition olive and the multicam which is a slightly lighter weight than the expedtion olive. It also has a softer face to it. General movement and hiking creates zero noise in either fabric but if you were to drag the pack through bushes or trees it would make some noise. One of the biggest benefits I like is the cleanup ease of the xpac, just hose all the dirt off and hang to dry after a hunt.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm used to my daypack which is almost like a microfleece material, so even my Stone Glacier is really loud compared to it. But ya, the Xpac is even louder and gets stiffer and louder the colder it gets. But other than that, it's great material.

DaveC

WKR
Two kinds of noise:

The face fabric determines noise level when a branch rubs against it. Multicam (X33) has a 330D cordura face and behaves pretty close to 500D Cordura with a PU coating (i.e. what MR, Kifaru, SG use).

Crinkling when getting stuff in and out of the bag. The laminate used in Xpac is louder here than a PU coating, especially in the cold and especially with new fabric. As a pack gets used this becomes less of an issue. The heavier the face fabric the less obvious this is, as well.

Akicita

WKR
I am running the Expedition Olive 6300 Fortress with Talon and Multi lid on a Unaweep suspension and have not noticed, or been concerned with any additional noise in comparison with my other packs. . . Its a great material that is virtually weatherproof in most conditions.

Last edited:

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Two kinds of noise:

The face fabric determines noise level when a branch rubs against it. Multicam (X33) has a 330D cordura face and behaves pretty close to 500D Cordura with a PU coating (i.e. what MR, Kifaru, SG use).

Crinkling when getting stuff in and out of the bag. The laminate used in Xpac is louder here than a PU coating, especially in the cold and especially with new fabric. As a pack gets used this becomes less of an issue. The heavier the face fabric the less obvious this is, as well.
Dave's assessment is spot on. During archery elk, I spent a few days hunting with a friend with an Eberle. At times, with the recurve, we were super conscious of noise. Stalking through dog hair timber my feeling was ..there wasn't much difference when rubbing on a branch , yes the Eberle was a bit more muted but both were still noticeable and neither were as loud as other noise we could not avoid making (pooping branch breaks etc). Neither prevented us from getting within 15 yards of bulls 3 times ... just angles and other stuff prevented getting a clean shot. From my perspective, zippers and other noise were much worse. Below freezing and when new the fabric is noisier when accessing the pack but not really when worn. Honestly, being super noise conscious myself during archery, I thought it might be more of an issue but came away thinking mostly a non issue and I mainly used our loudest fabric (X21RC Divide Most of the time). Just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth.

I have a first run Paradox (predecessor to the Seek Outside) and have used it on two rifle hunts at hi elevation and then tons around home in the South. I am not a bow hunter but no issues with noise for me. Good system. I like the material.
HD

Wrongside

WKR
Ive been using a Paradox Evolution since they first came out. When I purchased mine the XPac was way down the list of features I liked about the pack, but over the years I've come to really appreciate the stuff. Loading/unloading, especially when new, is noticeably more 'crinkely'. But it does get quieter with use. In use, on your back, the pack isn't appreciably louder than the MRs, Arcteryxs, etc. I've used over the years. It's great stuff for pack bag material, IME.