Seek Outside vs Stone Glacier vs Kifaru

ajonke

FNG
Hi all I am looking for folks with experience with what I consider then top 3. I am having an unfortunate issue with my Stone Glacier. My high end shop in town led me down the wrong path and sold me a R3 3300 which has been too small for multi day elks hunts, has most likely the wrong from for a tall guy (it has R3 instead of the X Curve), and the wrong material that can be easily stained with blood.

So now I need to go back to the drawing board and get the right pack. I loved the SG…but this snafu has me looking at other packs as well.

I would like your honest opinion if you have owned at least a pack from 2 of these makers and can tell me why you prefer one over the other. If you are tall please let me know as well as I am coming in at 6’5’’ with a longer torso. Also what size has worked best for you on 7-14 day hunts.

Thanks for your help guys!

OP
A

ajonke

FNG
I have owned all three and now only have Seek. The frames have a great range of adjustment and everything works for me and others as it should.
So the adjustment and ability to customize were your favorite qualities. Hugely important! You didn’t find the SG or K to be as adjustable?

Pmringer

WKR
Agree. Won’t trade my revolution frame for anything. Seems like a lot to mess with but once it is set the fit and ergo are great.

sndmn11

Well Known pink hat wearing Rokslider
So the adjustment and ability to customize were your favorite qualities. Hugely important! You didn’t find the SG or K to be as adjustable?
No, my favorite quality is how the frame rides and pressure distribution a long the shoulder straps. The Seek frame is more of a yoke across the upper back than the other two having vertical padding essentially mirroring the vertical shoulder straps. Highlighting the adjustability in your case means you don't have to worry about ordering the correct frame height, because any frame can be adjusted to fit correctly with either no cost or $10 cost of the frame extensions. I can take my frame and fit it to my 5'0" wife, or take her frame and adjust it to myself or a packing friend within ten minutes. One can also float the belt in a few different positions or fix the belt with a lumbar pad. Lastly, I feel that the more flexible hip belt on my Seek conforms well and distributes the load. I am in Morrison if you want to come put your hands on Seek.
1628541467480.png
1628541549045.png
1628541635907.png

cburgin72

Lil-Rokslider
It looks like both of the frames you listed from SG are 26" in height. That's the frame spec you want to change based on your height/ torso length. I only have experience with Kifaru so I can't make a comparison comment, if you will. I will say though, whichever you go with I would recommend calling the manufacturer and talk to them about the correct frame size based on your measurements. Kifaru will make one taller than 26" if thats what you need. I don't know enough about the others to comment on whether or not they will do that.

OP
A

ajonke

FNG
No, my favorite quality is how the frame rides and pressure distribution a long the shoulder straps. The Seek frame is more of a yoke across the upper back than the other two having vertical padding essentially mirroring the vertical shoulder straps. Highlighting the adjustability in your case means you don't have to worry about ordering the correct frame height, because any frame can be adjusted to fit correctly with either no cost or $10 cost of the frame extensions. I can take my frame and fit it to my 5'0" wife, or take her frame and adjust it to myself or a packing friend within ten minutes. One can also float the belt in a few different positions or fix the belt with a lumbar pad. Lastly, I feel that the more flexible hip belt on my Seek conforms well and distributes the load. I am in Morrison if you want to come put your hands on Seek.
View attachment 315100
View attachment 315101
View attachment 315102
I would greatly appreciate getting my hands on one of their packs! How do I contact you?

I've tried both SO and Kifaru - and now am very happy with my SO. I wouldn't read too much into that as the Kifaru was/is a very quality pack. Like boots, fit is a very personal thing. After that its prioritizing what's important for you. I really wanted high water resistance, and light weight. While the Kifaru doesn't shine there (they aren't shabby but just in comparison), they shine in pure overbuilt/indestructable aspect. For whatever reason, the Kifaru belt, lumberpad, and padded back I just couldn't get as comfortable as I wanted under medium weight. I hope you find the one that works best for you!

Just cruise out to grand junction and have Seek set you up. I took mine in their a couple years ago and they adjusted a few things for me and made it super comfortable.

OP
A

ajonke

FNG
It looks like both of the frames you listed from SG are 26" in height. That's the frame spec you want to change based on your height/ torso length. I only have experience with Kifaru so I can't make a comparison comment, if you will. I will say though, whichever you go with I would recommend calling the manufacturer and talk to them about the correct frame size based on your measurements. Kifaru will make one taller than 26" if thats what you need. I don't know enough about the others to comment on whether or not they will do that.
I have called all but Kifaru. But I will talk to them as well. I am a huge believer in that. Go right to the source. The middle man just wants to move product.
Just cruise out to grand junction and have Seek set you up. I took mine in their a couple years ago and they adjusted a few things for me and made it super comfortable.
Definitely on the agenda if I go the route of SO.

I've used a stone glacier sky 5900 for a couple years now, both Western and local Whitetail hunting. I've considered buying a 17-2200 bag to swap out in the past, but the thing cinches down so tight that I decided it wasn't really necessary. I guess I do have some off brand day pack that I use camping sometimes as well, but it's been falling apart for a couple years now and doesn't see any use while hunting anymore.

OP
A

ajonke

FNG
I've used a stone glacier sky 5900 for a couple years now, both Western and local Whitetail hunting. I've considered buying a 17-2200 bag to swap out in the past, but the thing cinches down so tight that I decided it wasn't really necessary. I guess I do have some off brand day pack that I use camping sometimes as well, but it's been falling apart for a couple years now and doesn't see any use while hunting anymore.
Did you have another one of the brands to compare it to? If so which did you like best?

Hi all I am looking for folks with experience with what I consider then top 3. I am having an unfortunate issue with my Stone Glacier. My high end shop in town led me down the wrong path and sold me a R3 3300 which has been too small for multi day elks hunts, has most likely the wrong from for a tall guy (it has R3 instead of the X Curve), and the wrong material that can be easily stained with blood.

So now I need to go back to the drawing board and get the right pack. I loved the SG…but this snafu has me looking at other packs as well.

I would like your honest opinion if you have owned at least a pack from 2 of these makers and can tell me why you prefer one over the other. If you are tall please let me know as well as I am coming in at 6’5’’ with a longer torso. Also what size has worked best for you on 7-14 day hunts.

Thanks for your help guys!
I have not had a SG, but have a kifaru and had a SO, honestly, it’s really hard to suggest one over the other, both excellent packs that will come down to personal fit.

the SO was an awesome pack, but it didn’t carry a really heavy load well for me (over 80#) but it does for most people.

right now I have an EXO, and a kifaru… both are awesome, and I’m glad I don’t have to pick one. The EXO is the most comfortable pack I have worn, empty or loaded heavy, the kifaru seems like it locks the load into my body a little better, and is still very comfortable light or heavy.

I would like to revisit SO at some point with one of their integrated packs, with the x-pack material, it’s a good pack for that, and I do like them, just not with a really heavy load

I know exo mountain gear isn't in your top three, but I would highly recommend. They can be adjusted about every way you need and carry heavy loads exceptionally well.

IDBB96

FNG
I know exo mountain gear isn't in your top three, but I would highly recommend. They can be adjusted about every way you need and carry heavy loads exceptionally well.

Not to thread jack, but I'm curious what frame size you have for your height. I've noticed on EXO's website there's only an inch difference between the maximum of the short and tall frame sizes (for the K3), so how much difference can that really make?

Not to thread jack, but I'm curious what frame size you have for your height. I've noticed on EXO's website there's only an inch difference between the maximum of the short and tall frame sizes (for the K3), so how much difference can that really make?
Due to my long torso I have the tall pack and it fits well. I don't think there is a big difference, but u followed their recommendations. You can also lengthen the frame to put it in "hauling mode" (not sure what they call it) on either size.

ohoopee

WKR
I have an SO and several Kifaru packs. Both are great packs for me. I use
the SO 9/10 times because its a little lighter but mainly for the
waterproofness. It rains a lot in the Smokey's. Both have carried a few
Rainbow or Brown trout off the mountain with little difficulty.

tdhanses

WKR
Did you have another one of the brands to compare it to? If so which did you like best?
Being your in Denver I’m kinda shocked you didn’t go to Kifaru and check stuff out in person from the start.

Marble

WKR
As far as size goes for what your looking for, 3300 ci is not going to cut it for the great majority of people. There are people that can do it, but most can't. Depending on what, how and where you are hunting, pack size can vary wildly.

My suggestion is to go bigger than you think. I've never been on a trip and cursed having a lot of room. I have one bag that's 6500 ci and I could easily do 10 days. But that same pack also converts into something very sleek and easy to move while hunting.

I would offer advice on the pack choice but I only have experience with Kifaru.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk