Seek Outside Silex And U-Turn Stove Review, By Josh Boyd

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
photo-1.jpg

The Seek Outside Silex is a lightweight, floorless tarp shelter with the option for a woodstove. The thing that makes it really unique is the way the doors work without zippers. It's a one+ person shelter with room for you, your firewood, and all your gear. Check out Josh's review of both the Silex and the new Cub U-Turn Stove.

Seek Outside Silex And U-Turn Stove Review

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I anyone has questions on this incredibly efficient shelter/stove combo please ask and I'll get them answered the best I can.
-Josh

I’ve been out in mine twice so far testing it out and I pitch it like Kevin does in the video but it seems like the top between my trekking poles is too loose. And the more I adjust the line locks, trek poles and stakes the worse I make it and just have to start over ha. Maybe it’s fine? But it seems more loose than yours in your pic and Kevin’s in the vid. Not sure what I’m doing wrong?

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I’ve been out in mine twice so far testing it out and I pitch it like Kevin does in the video but it seems like the top between my trekking poles is too loose. And the more I adjust the line locks, trek poles and stakes the worse I make it and just have to start over ha. Maybe it’s fine? But it seems more loose than yours in your pic and Kevin’s in the vid. Not sure what I’m doing wrong?
Likely overthinking. It is so simple once you get it. Leave a few inches on the doors between the cordage and LL. Measure out 126 inches on triple seam to triple seam (where the fabric ends). Then tighten ridgeline . I do know some people have problem pitching this. Truth be told, we thought it was so simple that instructions were not even needed at first. For whatever reason, it seems to be hit and miss. Try just measuring out the dimensions and then working backwards.

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member

Also check the length of your poles. It seems that 140 cm seems to be the ideal length for a tight pitch. My 120 cm poles seemed to be a little short and required a flat rock underneath for a little more height.
-Josh

Likely overthinking. It is so simple once you get it. Leave a few inches on the doors between the cordage and LL. Measure out 126 inches on triple seam to triple seam (where the fabric ends). Then tighten ridgeline . I do know some people have problem pitching this. Truth be told, we thought it was so simple that instructions were not even needed at first. For whatever reason, it seems to be hit and miss. Try just measuring out the dimensions and then working backwards.
Figers I’d be the guy to screw up something so easy it doesn’t even need instructions ha. Thanks guys (kevin,josh) I’ll go try it.

spfarr

FNG
Thanks for the informative review.
I've been curious about this solo tent setup with the stove, because I have a larger Ti Goat hot tent setup.

Tyguy

WKR
Thanks for the review! I have an LBO with Vestibule and connecting tarp, this looks like a much more slick setup. Cheers

Che

FNG
That tent is pretty awesome. I'm a big proponent of the added nest feature. More than once unwanted critters (ants, spiders, snakes) were in my tent in the morning.

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since the season has come to a close it is a good time to update the thread a little and show the Silex in use this fall.

_1000314.JPG
It was used as my primary shelter throughout the fall and was exposed to varying conditions. Early and mid-September I didn't need the stove as temperatures were mild. The shelter stayed condensation free and was weather proof when things turned nasty.
silex snow.jpg

I switched out my fixed length Black Diamond Z-poles for a pair of adjustable Peax Sissy Stix poles. They helped tremendously in getting a taut pitch on uneven ground.

P1000399.JPG

The Cub U-turn stove was used mostly in October and into November and was welcome almost cold morning. The small stove has no issue heating the space and it maintained coals longer than expected. Even with the stove in place, firewood stacked inside, and gear piled in the vestibules I never felt cramped for space.

P1000393.JPG

After considerable more, my opinion has not changed. It is still one of the best solo shelters on the market right now and in the base silnylon configuration is a great deal at $195!

Reach out if you have any questions.

-Josh

Superdoo

WKR
@Josh Boyd , how tall are you?
I just got an LBO and my 6'4" bag touches the walls no matter which way I put it. I'm wondering how much room I'll have with the Silex.
Also, is there anyway I would be able to fit my SXL in it with me and does anybody know how much space there is between the poles?

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Since the season has come to a close it is a good time to update the thread a little and show the Silex in use this fall.

View attachment 247330
It was used as my primary shelter throughout the fall and was exposed to varying conditions. Early and mid-September I didn't need the stove as temperatures were mild. The shelter stayed condensation free and was weather proof when things turned nasty.
View attachment 247332

I switched out my fixed length Black Diamond Z-poles for a pair of adjustable Peax Sissy Stix poles. They helped tremendously in getting a taut pitch on uneven ground.

View attachment 247333

The Cub U-turn stove was used mostly in October and into November and was welcome almost cold morning. The small stove has no issue heating the space and it maintained coals longer than expected. Even with the stove in place, firewood stacked inside, and gear piled in the vestibules I never felt cramped for space.

View attachment 247334

After considerable more, my opinion has not changed. It is still one of the best solo shelters on the market right now and in the base silnylon configuration is a great deal at $195!

Reach out if you have any questions.

-Josh

Hey Josh, thanks for the update on these. Really helpful to have the ongoing info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk