Seek Outside LBO Base

fuzznuts

FNG
Hello all,
I had a question of two for users of seek outside LBO base as a stand alone shelter in the summer, mainly wondering how far your sleeping bag is from drip line and does it seem adequate if a storm comes up.
Thanks in advance, Fuzz

KH_bowfly

Lil-Rokslider
I would have no issue using it with my borah bivy and could lower accordingly if rain is forecast. I’m 5’-6”, though and prefer to bring the vestibule, especially if a good chance of some weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mahonsr

Lil-Rokslider
I'm 5'"11 I use just the base all the time and wouldn't be too worried if the random storm popped up. Can always drop the beak down. And of course a lot depends on what the wind is doing. My preferred use of the LBO is just the base. But pretty soon you realize if your using just the base you probably don't need anything 😁. I do like having the vestibule as a back up when I'm out a few days so really not saving a lot of weight. If just out for a night and weather is good - I'll take just the base.

Bert Vega

FNG
Does anyone know how much room do you lose with the nest system? I am looking to purchase also but need the bug netting.

mahonsr

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone know how much room do you lose with the nest system? I am looking to purchase also but need the bug netting.
I use the nest and like it - fit myself and my son but no room to spare and we're shoulder to shoulder touching. However you still have the rest of shelter for gear, etc just not in the bug netting. For sleeping it's no problem. I wouldn't want to plan on just hanging out in it for long periods of time.

Bert Vega

FNG
I use the nest and like it - fit myself and my son but no room to spare and we're shoulder to shoulder touching. However you still have the rest of shelter for gear, etc just not in the bug netting. For sleeping it's no problem. I wouldn't want to plan on just hanging out in it for long periods of time.
Thank you for the info. It will be holding me and my dog. Dog is just over 100lbs and I am 6'3" . Hope there is enough room for us both. May end up getting a mesh cover to drape over the shelter to keep the bugs out. So I can maximize the room inside.

CTXhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Last summer I threw up the base to wait out an afternoon rain storm. Accidentally fell asleep for about an hour and had just a little bit of water on my toes. Very light rain though. If I would have laid back up in the tent more I would have been dry. Might not be a great primary shelter but a I like not using the vestibule when it’s not necessary B8E3F669-65BC-4660-BB6A-F69780B1D87A.jpegFAE2D221-58D2-4FB3-8868-5AE02A002FBA.jpeg

Bert Vega

FNG
Last summer I threw up the base to wait out an afternoon rain storm. Accidentally fell asleep for about an hour and had just a little bit of water on my toes. Very light rain though. If I would have laid back up in the tent more I would have been dry. Might not be a great primary shelter but a I like not using the vestibule when it’s not necessary View attachment 396743View attachment 396744
How big of a guy are you?

mahonsr

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for the info. It will be holding me and my dog. Dog is just over 100lbs and I am 6'3" . Hope there is enough room for us both. May end up getting a mesh cover to drape over the shelter to keep the bugs out. So I can maximize the room inside.
With the nest you sleep horizontal - it fits the dimensions of the base. It doesn't extend into the vestibule. As long as your good length wise you'd be fine with your dog fitting with you. Personally I love the LBO for a lightweight backpacking shelter. My preferred set up is base only. But vestibule with nest is nice to have enclosed plus you can zip your dog in. I just picked up a 4 man though and that thing is really nice! Probably my new favorite shelter if I'm not going super lightweight.

mahonsr

Lil-Rokslider
Like CTXhunter said - LBO base only is my favorite pitch - with or without nest depending on the bugs.

LionHead

WKR
I bring the base with me regardless of what shelter I'm using. If I base camp with the redcliff I bring the Base as an emergency shelter/pop-up shelter if it get hit with rain when I'm away from camp.

If I'm going light i already have the base and vestibule with me but I'll unzip and pitch it for afternoon naps in the shade or glassing in the rain.

Or base tarp base for 3 on a backpack hunt. Each person gets a section of the shelter for emergency coverage

I'd highly recommend hitching line loc 3's to each guy out point to add versatility in pitch hieght.

Ymmv