SecureIt Biometric Gun Safes - Review Updated July 2024

Fireman5569

Lil-Rokslider
I have been on structure fires and nothing in the safes survive they just turn into ovens. worst was a basement fire that trapped all the heat and the inside of the safe all papers burned and the guns and scopes were toast.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
I have been on structure fires and nothing in the safes survive they just turn into ovens. worst was a basement fire that trapped all the heat and the inside of the safe all papers burned and the guns and scopes were toast.
That was my impression and I was hoping that @Hnthrdr had experiences too. I'd imagine the fire safes give some protection, but I also imagine a typical house fire exceeds those parameters.

Weldor

WKR
Good question been on a few dozen fires but yet to see a any safes, maybe just the nature of the houses that catch in fire in my areas, from what I know they are light metal plates and drywall 2-4 layers, I will say often drywall does an awesome job of keeping fire at bay, heat, smoke, and water used to put it out might have a pretty negative effect on optics
You'll want Millboard for fire resistance. Drywall is only 20 minute rating maybe.

Weldor

WKR
Out of curiosity what about emp with all these electronic locks? I have heard the discussion more than once about safes. Also you can buy fire rated safes, expensive but are rated for 30 min, 45, 1 hr, etc. They do work I have used burning bars and cutting rod on them to get them open and just alot smoke inside with minimal damage. I like the new cabinets just would want a manual lock.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
Out of curiosity what about emp with all these electronic locks? I have heard the discussion more than once about safes. Also you can buy fire rated safes, expensive but are rated for 30 min, 45, 1 hr, etc. They do work I have used burning bars and cutting rod on them to get them open and just alot smoke inside with minimal damage. I like the new cabinets just would want a manual lock.
There is a physical key override with the SecureIt I reviewed.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
That makes sense, be nice to see that on all of them.
All of the SecureIt lines and models have a physical key override. I am unsure of other brands though if that is what you mean.

I missed this part. Even more interested in them lol
I may not have called it out, I can't remember. There were things I intentionally didn't mention or go into great detail on for "security" reasons.

Hnthrdr

WKR
That was my impression and I was hoping that @Hnthrdr had experiences too. I'd imagine the fire safes give some protection, but I also imagine a typical house fire exceeds those parameters.
For the amount of house fires I’ve been on I’ve yet to encounter a gun safe/ mess with one post fire, but as far as the secure it goes, I’d be surprised if anything could survive much in there. It’s more of a keep kiddos away and giving a potential thief a little trouble