Secrets of the Blind

4IDARCHER

WKR
So my hunt this fall is all lined up, and I can't wait. I will be hunting early in the season (start of SD season). I am hoping it is hot as all get out, makes for a tough sit but the hotter it is the more the goats have to drink. What I am looking to do is pick the brains of those that have sat by a waterhole, what tips or secrets do you have to give. I was thinking of the new ameristep quiet battery fan for the blind, then to strip down to a wicking shirt and a pair of boxers once all set up in there. Pleanty of water, and some book to read. Any other good advise to give? Also this will be a walk in hunt, and I plan to get back there and away from the crowd how did you guys get the cape back and not have the hair slip when its hot and you have a couple of miles to cover?

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
I get the cape off, and get the meat cooling asap. The wind usually helps cool things down fairly quick, bag everything and head for the truck. I always have 3 150 qt coolers packed with ice and ready to get the cape and meat on. Good luck.

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
I do much the same. Cool clothing and reading material.

I also do like Les says. Back at the truck I have a Trophy Bag Kooler waiting for me.

>>>---WW---->

Lil-Rokslider
I freeze up a gallon jug of water. That way I have a cold drink as it melts all day. A little pocket radio with an ear bud helps to pass the time. Get you animal in the cooler ASAP.

Lukem

WKR
Depending on how much rain there's been, bring DEET.

Of course if it's that wet, sitting in a blind would be a waste of time anyway.

Last edited:

J-Daddy

WKR
A comfortable chair!!!!! Nothing worse than being stuck in a 100+ degree blind all day in a chair that's miserable to set in, been there & done that and it freakin sucks. I hunted a buddy's blind one day last year and he had this tiny little 3 leg, triangle stool, no back and was maybe 16" tall at best...My ass hasn't been the same since then.
I know people never seem to brush in a blind for speed goats, but if there is any kind of structure around the water "tree, windmill, old tank, berm, etc.." set the blind up against that. Those private ranch goats you see on TV in Wyoming just stroll right into water with a blind setting out in the open...Pressured public land goats will hang up a few hundred yards away and burn a damn hole through your blind for hours it seems like and if you so much as fart they are gone. A little structure goes a long way with them.
2 years ago we hunted a small alfalfa field they were hitting, rancher had a bunch of round bales of hay on the edge of the field and we set the blinds up against the hay bales...Antelope never even looked at the blinds then, to them it was another bale of hay....I had does & fawns feeding within 5yds of my blind on that field. Heck I had a young doe walk up and dang near stick her head in the front window of the blind, she was maybe 3'-6' away at the most.

I killed a goat last yr New mex temps were 103 outside the blind never had them slip as of yet ,