Second Load Pack

Rucker61

WKR
Most of us here have a really nice pack for backcountry hunting that is designed to haul a significant load out of the woods. For those who hunt prey that requires multiple trips back to the truck, do you continue to use your Kifara/Sky/Exo for subsequent loads or do you have a frame pack/load hauler that you switch to?

If I know that I'll be returning to a vehicle or my boat, I just leave the Barney's frame in there for the other loads.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Traditional externals are great at stabilizing loads, but they vary widely in how efficiently they transfer that load. Some are really good, some are really really bad.

Bottom line is that if you spend $300-$400 ++++ on a pack and it isn't more comfortable than a traditional external frame, you need to rethink your purchase.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm with Justin duplex for everything but I have the cargo chair in the truck that I'll swap the bag for

Terrapin

WKR
I always have a kelty frame pack with a heavily modified suspension. I think I bought it used in '93 and have hauled dozens of elk, bear, deer, treestands, goose decoys, grease (bear bait) and kids. I have never found a semi-rigid pack that worked as well for me. I used my SG for the first load repeatedly this year and always switched to the kelty. It feels more comfortable... But I am always happy when the frame goes on so that might sway my opinion.

Kifaru KU5200 for hunting and first load, then my old 2000 era Longhunter for subsequent loads.

ridgefire

WKR
bikini with the dt2 bag did it all this year, worked great. was really eyeballing the exo pack but ended up loving the bt2 setup. gonna hold onto it for the long haul.

tenth1

Lil-Rokslider
Hmmm

Interesting, I've never thought about it that way. I have always leap frogged the loads so that I'm not far from it all times. This obviously requires an excellent do-it-all pack.

Since buying the bikini emr2 set up I'm having a hard time thinking about any other pack. It compresses and expands very well. Gonna take a look at the EXO when it gets in but I don't think I "need" to change from the bemr2 to anything else. It's near perfect for me

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
If it is a big load, there would a couple of packs for me. TC, Ed and Chance..................

Randy

Attachments

• All Photos on card reader one 840.jpg
    All Photos on card reader one 840.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 63
Yep like the others my EXO for all loads. Now years ago when our packs werent as good, I used to use a badlands sacrifice for the first load then a frame pack or meat hauler for the rest. Thank god hose days are over. Ha ha

stephen b

WKR
Traditional externals are great at stabilizing loads, but they vary widely in how efficiently they transfer that load. Some are really good, some are really really bad.

Bottom line is that if you spend $300-$400 ++++ on a pack and it isn't more comfortable than a traditional external frame, you need to rethink your purchase.

Agree with most of this. I am usually only using one pack now days, but have a lot of experience with a good external pack. And if it ( external) is a good one - IMO, I can think of and have used a few $300-400 internal packs that do not do near as well for true load hauling. Situations vary as far as terrain etc, but a very good external ( such a Barney's ) transfers weight very well and do a great job with heavy hauling. Yes, a lot of the hybrid packs are changing the game. But for heavy loads there a number of $300-400 packs out there put out by some manufacturers that I would leave sitting on the ground if they were sitting next to a great external like a Barney's.

Not all packs are equal in this area. For all around one pack use though- a SG, Kifaru, or a EXO is probably the way to go. They are probably much better for all around use.

Moose quarters are the reason I carry my Barney's Frame for backup loads. I just don't like to try and stuff one of them into my SG or onto the frame, although I'm sure it would carry it. My Barney's, with all of the cam-lock straps on it, just make it super fast and efficient at moving big loads.

mmw194287

WKR
For my moose I hunted with my MR6500 and packed meat with a Kelty Cache Hauler (frame only). I'm sure the MR could have done it (and done it comfortably--although I did wonder about the comparative dimensions of the pack "mouth" and the bottom of the rear quarters), but I appreciated the ease of loading quarters onto the shelf and the rigidity of the frame. Loaded up with a rear quarter, it was nice to be able to grab hold of the metal frame to stand the pack up, drag it around, throw it into the truck bed, etc. I have to say that for a frame/suspension that you can get a hold of for under $100 on sale, the Kelty carries 100+ lb loads incredibly well.