Seattle Area Fly Fishing

cayres67

FNG
Hi Guys,

I am heading to Seattle for work next week and have planned to get there a day early to try and get some fly fishing in. I am from Chicago and love to fly fish. That being said I rarely get to fish for trout and have actually never caught a rainbow. I have fished quite a bit for driftless browns and brooks. I was wondering if anybody could give any recommendations of some good rivers or streams to spend about half a day this Sunday hiking around and hopefully get into a couple fish. Also, any pattern recommendations would be appreciated.

Also, any good fly shop recommendations would be appreciated as well. Will probably go pick up some flys.

If you want something completely different that is only available in that part of the country, look at fishing off the beach for sea-run cutthroat and coho. I've never had the chance to do it but have wanted to. Google see-run cutts and there's quite a bit of info. Any local fly shop should be able to point you in the right direction.

OP
cayres67

cayres67

FNG
Thanks guys. I didn’t think about trying for any of the sea run species. I will do some research and see what I come up with.

I've had some great days on the Cedar River east of Renton, however always dreaded coming back to a vehicle prowl.
The Snoqualmie Forks are pretty, however a decent fish would be 12".
A great fly shop is Creekside in Issaquah, about 14 miles east of Seattle right off of I-90.
If you don't mind driving 2 hrs, the Yakima river just south of Ellensburg is great right now for hopper fishing...I would rent a driftboat from Red's and drift it because it's running high for irrigation.

OP
cayres67

cayres67

FNG
Hopper fishing is really intriguing as it is my favorite type of fishing in the drftless. Is any of the Yakima wadable right now? I would go on a boat but as a solo those prices get pretty tough to swallow

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
If you're into hiking and seeing some badass country the high lakes in the cascades offer fantastic trout fishing. Especially if you have a packraft.

Hopper fishing is really intriguing as it is my favorite type of fishing in the drftless. Is any of the Yakima wadable right now? I would go on a boat but as a solo those prices get pretty tough to swallow
You can wade the Yakima, however right now, the flows are high to support irrigation.
Definitely the most challenging time of year to wade.
Solo fishing from a driftboat is pretty challenging as the boat positioning is pretty important to get a proper drift.
Maybe a guided trip?
Check Red's, The Evening Hatch, and Worley Bugger for possibilities and maybe give them a call for Yakima Canyon and Farmlands conditions.

Bachto

WKR
Reds fly shop rents smaller personal inflatable's if you wanted to do that. Let me talk to my Fiance, i might be able to get out fishing Sunday. We have a whitewater raft that I use on the upper Yakima.

Reds fly shop rents smaller personal inflatable's if you wanted to do that. Let me talk to my Fiance, i might be able to get out fishing Sunday. We have a whitewater raft that I use on the upper Yakima.
I hope you guys connect.
My favorite time of year to fish the Yak.

OP
cayres67

cayres67

FNG
Thanks for all the info guys. I’m getting super excited to get out there. I should be getting into the area around 1pm Sunday and be able to fish the rest of the day as well as a little Monday morning. I’ll let you guys know how I do.

OP
cayres67

cayres67

FNG
Hey guys. Thanks again for all of your help. Ended up doing really well on the Naches river catching about 20 trout. Cutthroat and rainbows. Didn’t have any luck on the Yakima but we will get them next time. Absolutely beautiful scenery. IMG_1019.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0994.jpeg
    IMG_0994.jpeg
    379.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0991.jpeg
    IMG_0991.jpeg
    435.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0988.jpeg
    IMG_0988.jpeg
    464.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0976.jpeg
    IMG_0976.jpeg