Search for a new rifle..........general use, hunting, target etc.

From another thread @Formidilosus posted "
Correct, there is nothing that competes with a T3x now.

For me, it’s more about that if I want a new rifle there really only is Tikka or newer Sako’s, Blaser, Sauer. There isn’t a single factory or custom American made action/rifle that competes with those when taken as a whole for a field rifle. Maybe an American made CRF that is reliable and takes prefits could change that."

My question, I was going to ask, but I feel you may have already answered. Forgive this old fart, I haven't bought a bolt action in over 25 years, (all of those prior were Rem 700's 308, 7Mag etc) I have been playing with AR's, TC Encores, and not to mention 12 ga slug guns, but now that I have a grandson, and another one coming in October, the thoughts of me passing down legitimate rifles down to them, from todays normal "factory" production in a PF (not a micro brand or custom) ie, Remington, Bergara, Winchester, Savage, Howa, Weatherby, Ruger, Browning, Sako(which one?), Tikka T3X, Sauer (cant afford a Blaser lol) as far as accurate, reliable, etc the Tikka T3X will have the least issues. If I was looking for a CRF then, then which would it be? The new Win 70, Ruger 77 or Kimber? Im guessing Win 70? If I forgot any please mention them, and @Formidilosus thanks for your time in advance. Oh, caliber wise, Im thinking 243, 6CM 6.5CM, 308, 6.5 PRC. I have enough .223/5.56 in an AR (s), but switching the barrel out in one of them for a 1 in 7 twist instead of the 1 in 9. Even comparing now the 22ARC vs 6 ARC in another one....too many options lol Thanks again for y'alls time.

TaperPin

WKR
How many failures to feed have you had that a CRF would have prevented?

I don’t see the advantage to a Tikka - I was going to buy one just to have hands on experience with it, but I’m just not that excited about them. After hearing about loose trigger attachment screws causing slam fires, it just doesn’t sound all that safe. :)

OP
S
How many failures to feed have you had that a CRF would have prevented?

I don’t see the advantage to a Tikka - I was going to buy one just to have hands on experience with it, but I’m just not that excited about them. After hearing about loose trigger attachment screws causing slam fires, it just doesn’t sound all that safe. :)
Funny ya mention slam fires, I did that on my Rem 700 7 mag one time. I thought I was a gunsmith, and lightened my trigger screws, lol flipped off the safety and boom, last time I tried to adjust a trigger too lol, that was in 1991. Just glad I was looking through the scope and on a target. But it did end the day..........and besides in my ar's I havent had a failure to feed. I just want to know which of the CRF's are better than one another. Thanks.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
from todays normal "factory" production in a PF (not a micro brand or custom) ie, Remington, Bergara, Winchester, Savage, Howa, Weatherby, Ruger, Browning, Sako(which one?), Tikka T3X, Sauer (cant afford a Blaser lol) as far as accurate, reliable, etc the Tikka T3X will have the least issues.

Correct. Tikka will have the least chance of issues, and highest probability of correct functioning.

If I was looking for a CRF then, then which would it be? The new Win 70, Ruger 77 or Kimber?

From what I am seeing, I would choose an MRC if it is within budget. After that it’s pretty spotty, but Win M70. In general, I would look at a Pre 64 for a Winchester however.

Im guessing Win 70? If I forgot any please mention them, and @Formidilosus thanks for your time in advance. Oh, caliber wise, Im thinking 243, 6CM 6.5CM, 308, 6.5 PRC. I have enough .223/5.56 in an AR (s), but switching the barrel out in one of them for a 1 in 7 twist instead of the 1 in 9. Even comparing now the 22ARC vs 6 ARC in another one....too many options lol Thanks again for y'alls time.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I don’t see the advantage to a Tikka - I was going to buy one just to have hands on experience with it, but I’m just not that excited about them.

“I have zero experience, but I don’t see the advantage”. Insightful.

After hearing about loose trigger attachment screws causing slam fires, it just doesn’t sound all that safe. :)

Every single common bolt action rifle made- save the Blaser and Sauer 404, will fire when the bolt is closed if you loosen the trigger from the action. That is a nonsense statement.

OP
S
“I have zero experience, but I don’t see the advantage”. Insightful.

Every single common bolt action rifle made- save the Blaser and Sauer 404, will fire when the bolt is closed if you loosen the trigger from the action. That is a nonsense statement.
LOL funny as in my statement above with my 700 7 mag Sendero I had, after that seasons whitetail season in Tn I traded it even for my first AR15 lol. I still have a regular 26" barrel 700 7 mag and a 26" 308 varmint in a Magpul stock that I have put together over the years, but have not put 10 rounds through them both combined lol. Heck I even hunted 2 seasons with a FAL. Should have kept it, I even fell in a creek one time, shoved mud in the barrel and broke it down, and cleaned it out in the same creek lol

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Funny ya mention slam fires, I did that on my Rem 700 7 mag one time. I thought I was a gunsmith, and lightened my trigger screws, lol flipped off the safety and boom, last time I tried to adjust a trigger too lol, that was in 1991. Just glad I was looking through the scope and on a target. But it did end the day..........and besides in my ar's I havent had a failure to feed. I just want to know which of the CRF's are better than one another. Thanks.

Yesterday I was in UM picking up a rifle and the Rem TT trigger was firing every time the bolt was closed.