SEAK Pack Choice

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
In case anyone was wondering - he's going to use a Barney's Freighter, it is an impressive piece of gear. As '+1' I'm taking an Exo K4 7200. Between this thread and PMs lots of gear questions to the community, and all the advice and experience has been very helpful.

We're both caulking boots per Ed. Originally just wanted to do microspikes but multiple people have steered that thought clear out of my mind.
I highly recommend reconsidering caulking your boots. I know someone that did that and regretted it for 2 reasons. First, you'll be on rock above treeline and caulks are really slick and noisy in that scenario. Think studded snow tires on concrete. Second, you'll likely use the boots for that trip and nothing else unless you ice fish, because there isn't much of a use case beyond that. Caulking boots come from loggers walking on wet/slippery logs which is very common in SEAK and PNW, which I believe that's Ed's background.

I recommend Petzl Leopard crampons if you need them. They're aluminum so they're light, but they don't hold up well in rocks where you don't want them anyway. For mixed ice/rock, you would just be mindful. Go steel if you don't want to worry about it.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I highly recommend reconsidering caulking your boots. I know someone that did that and regretted it for 2 reasons. First, you'll be on rock above treeline and caulks are really slick and noisy in that scenario. Think studded snow tires on concrete. Second, you'll likely use the boots for that trip and nothing else unless you ice fish, because there isn't much of a use case beyond that. Caulking boots come from loggers walking on wet/slippery logs which is very common in SEAK and PNW, which I believe that's Ed's background.

I recommend Petzl Leopard crampons if you need them. They're aluminum so they're light, but they don't hold up well in rocks where you don't want them anyway. For mixed ice/rock, you would just be mindful. Go steel if you don't want to worry about it.
Interesting - the rock thing I've been worried about, but have mostly seen vegetated tops in photos and videos from that area. Was planning on have them resoled after, I don't need caulks for anything in Montana, where microspikes are just fine.

One downside to crampons is you have to be mindful you've got them on - they can shread clothing and yourself in an instant. And I'm pretty clumsy.

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
I recommend asking Ed if you can get in touch with your guide to meet them ahead of time. Then you can ask them for their opinion when you get in touch.

I like wearing OR croc gaiters, and I find them to be pretty much bullet proof with crampons.

OP
E
I recommend asking Ed if you can get in touch with your guide to meet them ahead of time. Then you can ask them for their opinion when you get in touch.

I like wearing OR croc gaiters, and I find them to be pretty much bullet proof with crampons.
Hunter here, I hunted bear last year with the guy that will be guiding me for goat as well so I had plenty of time to pick his brain on goat gear recommendations. The two things that were hammered into me by him, Ed, and another guy I've known for a very long time that guides for Ed were calk boots and rubber rain gear.

I'm sure there will be points in the hunt that neither will be ideal, and possibly cumbersome, but I'm not going to rock the boat and try to figure that stuff out on my own and on the fly. I do appreciate the revival of this thread and additional feedback though. Hoping to be flying back from Ketchikan four months from today with a big old billy in tow...can't wait!