Scratched Anodized Aluminum Pots

Longrifle

Lil-Rokslider
Are scratched aluminum pots dangerous? Mine are scratched from packing the burners and gas inside them, but I never thought much about it. Recently I read some posts where people were advising to throw away scratched pots due to aluminum leaching into the food or water you're heating in them. People used aluminum to cook in well before hard anodizing became a thing. I honestly can't imagine anyone that packs their stoves down trails not having scratched pots, but I'm just curious how everyone else felt about it.

EdP

WKR
A lot of non-anodized aluminum household cookware came out around the mid to late 1970's to the best of my recollection. It has been in use for decades and no positive connection has been made to it causing health issues. That doesn't mean there are not health effects, but large numbers of people use/have used it on a daily basis. If that hasn't revealed a health issue at this point, I have difficulty believing the occasional use of your backcountry kit could be a problem. I am more concerned with scratching off the non-stick coating on my pot so I put the scratchy stuff in a stuff sack before tossing it in.

sneaky

"DADDY"
If non anodized pots were that bad for you then a lot of commercial kitchens would have already killed everybody by now. Just go to a restaurant supply store and look at the selection of plain aluminum cookware. Anodized finishes don't last long in high volume settings. Those scratches on your pot aren't hurting anything.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk