Scouting

dotman

WKR
So which month does everyone prefer to scout in, this is mainly for the guys that would only have one opp. I'll be doing it over the 4th of July weekend mainly due to having a free day off work.

ElkNut1

WKR
The month of Aug as well is best for me! Any earlier & generally the elk have a good chance of being in a different location. I scout that entire month, both physically & with trail cameras.

ElkNut1

Ralph

FNG
August I really put the time in; start glassing individuals and deciding who's coming home for dinner! (Think positive, right :))

yrovikle

FNG
My scouting always starts Father's Day weekend with my three kids making the 7 mile hike with me for the past four years...tradition. Normally that early we are really just scouting terrain, looking for a new little setup area, bench, or ridge. I have three main hunting spots for elk...1) main spot is 4 miles back-country high alpine rugged, 2) bit lower elevation where the family can come and spend labor day weekend with me in the camper and my oldest daughter and I can still get back in deep, and 3) is just 1.5 hours from home and nice for those weekend only hunts. All my spots I start serious scouting in August and scout right up to the opener.

Happy hunting!
Yrovikle

yrovikle

FNG
lightbox

lightbox

lightbox

Last edited:

aggieland

WKR
Its hard living hours away from your hunting areas. The only way I can scout it take another week of vacation and drive from Tx to Colorado pack in etc. I have never been able to do this in the past but I'm considering it this season. I can tell ya just showing up and packing in then trying to find elk with no scouting sucks and makes your hunts much less successful..

>>>---WW---->

Lil-Rokslider
I usually don't even bother with scouting. Once you have 3-4 good hot spots you will find that elk, as a general rule, will be there year after year. This year may be slightly different as I got a couple of trail cams for Christmas. They will be set up in a few places in August.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am with WW. After 30 yrs in the same area in Idaho and 10 yrs in Montana, I have many areas figured out and know where the elk will typically be. That being said i always try to add one new spot each year and with wolves now changing the equation in many areas it definately helps to have a back up spot or two if they happen to be in your hot spots!

I usually don't even bother with scouting. Once you have 3-4 good hot spots you will find that elk, as a general rule, will be there year after year. This year may be slightly different as I got a couple of trail cams for Christmas. They will be set up in a few places in August.

I felt the same way untill this year. all of my honey holes were empty because of the late winter and hot temps during season. Then I had to go into new areas blind to try and locate elk. This year I plan on hunting a completely new area and will scout as much as possible to find as many areas as I can.

bowhnter7

Lil-Rokslider
I’m jealous y’all have places to scout.

I haven’t felt the need to scout my places in the last many years but I love to be in the high country so I usually beg off a scouting trip and help a friend find some deer, hit a remote lake and catch some trout, or just get out and enjoy the mountains. Been doing some research on a backup spot for deer and just may have to do some poking around this summer.

Otherwise I might spend a day the weekend before the opener to take inventory for deer, for elk I seldom get back there before it’s hunting time unless I’m stashing food. The elk always seem to be there.

even though i live closer to elk country than alot of guys, most of my scouting has consisted of Google Earth for the first 3 years of my brief elk hunting career. last year, (4th year) i actually scouted the unit i hunted twice. (4th different unit in 4 years hunting elk) i still looked at those areas on Google Earth before making the 7 hour drive to scout. honestly? 4-6 days really isn't a whole lot of time on the ground in a new unit but i have found that the places i look for on GE usually do hold elk when sept rolls around. when on GE i look for the habitat essentials, food, water cover/shelter and space/area. i will call the local game dept to find out more about their food sources but the rest is pretty easy to see on GE

Last edited:
OP
D

dotman

WKR
So for us guys that live 800 miles from elk ground i'm assuming where i'll scout in early July the elk will have possibly moved on in late August? I'll be looking mainly for watering holes, hidden benches/saddles and covering ground i had sucess in finding elk last year. What else should i look for come early July?

I will start looking around the first of August. I have my few little holes that I will get cameras up in this year probably mid-july and then I will check out some other areas that are eye appealing on maps.