Scouting question

Christopher.Reed

Lil-Rokslider
Let me preface this question with explaining that this is my first season hunting with a bow, hunting public land, and scouting as I have always hunted permanent stands, with a rifle, on private land and it was as simple as show up, climb in, and shoot.

I went and checked out a spot on public land that someone had turned me onto which was a pretty remote feed plot that had historically had plenty of sign but when I got there the field had been tilled within the last few days. My question is pretty simple, is that a good thing or a bad thing?

b490c00cb4f58fb5799abb8399c2f3d5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If somebody else is working that field like that I'd imagine they'll be spending some time hunting there as well. Weird to see something like that on public.

Btaylor

WKR
Game and Fish maintain plots on the WMA's here and it is time for them to be getting cleaned up and planted. Did you check to see if it had been seeded? I dont hunt around them because they are a magnet for other folks and get lots of pressure but wouldnt hurt to check it out in a couple weeks if you get some rain to see if it is germinated and growing. I would maybe look for a mast type food source within a couple hundred yards where they might stage and feed before moving out to the plot after it gets dark.

BravoNovember

Lil-Rokslider
Id probably expect to see a lot of other people. Could be reseeded for a winter mix. Here in Wisconsin farmers lease land from the DNR and vise versa, so crop fields are harvested as the framers deem necessary

OP
Christopher.Reed

Christopher.Reed

Lil-Rokslider
Game and Fish maintain plots on the WMA's here and it is time for them to be getting cleaned up and planted. Did you check to see if it had been seeded? I dont hunt around them because they are a magnet for other folks and get lots of pressure but wouldnt hurt to check it out in a couple weeks if you get some rain to see if it is germinated and growing. I would maybe look for a mast type food source within a couple hundred yards where they might stage and feed before moving out to the plot after it gets dark.

It didn’t appear to be seeded but the till wasn’t more than a couple days old as not even weeds had popped up. I will check back this weekend to verify.

It didn’t appear to be seeded but the till wasn’t more than a couple days old as not even weeds had popped up. I will check back this weekend to verify.

Likely putting down winter mix. Not sure where you're located, but still time for brassicas, oats, and rye if we get some rain.