Scouting Help/Hunting Tactics - Found the bulls, now what?

cford115

FNG
First off, I wanted to introduce myself on the forum. This is my first post on here after browsing the page for help year after year. I am a beginner/intermediate elk hunter mostly focusing on archery OTC units. This season I drew a better unit and I've already been out scouting and setting up some cams.

This past week I was evening glassing from a high alpine vantage point when I spotted a group of bulls. I was lucky enough to watch them feed for awhile until tucked away into dark timber. A few days later I hiked back in and saw them in the same spot at almost the same exact time.

My questions are:
1. What do you think is the best tactic to continue to watch these bulls/pattern them? I am concerned by the time September gets here they will continue to migrate and/or eventually split up.
2. Have you seen examples of bulls staying in the same spot and in a bachelor herd up until prime rut? These bulls were already in high alpine, thick, extremely hard to get to terrain with minimal to no other hunting pressure.

As of now my simple plan was to continue to watch that spot and surrounding bowl in the upcoming months to see if they stop showing up or go somewhere else. Just curious if there's anyone out there with some experience willing to give me some tips on how to approach this situation going forward. Appreciate any of the help!

jgilber5

Lil-Rokslider
I'm no expert but if it were me id try to find the nearest few big groups of cows. Figure out the most likely travel route from the bulls to the cows. If nobody has messed with them they should either be where you see them now, with the cows, or somewhere along that line come season.

IdahoBeav

WKR
As of now my simple plan was to continue to watch that spot and surrounding bowl in the upcoming months to see if they stop showing up or go somewhere else. Just curious if there's anyone out there with some experience willing to give me some tips on how to approach this situation going forward. Appreciate any of the help!
There is no telling how many other people also know about those elk and will be watching them and planning to hunt them. The elk could also move out on their own. There is no need to keep tabs on them. You just need to know if they are there when it's time to hunt. Between now and the end of Aug, I would focus on trying to find as many spots like this that you can, where you can glass bulls at long distance, and then in a couple months when it's time to make a plan on where to hunt, take a quick look at your spots, pick one and make a plan for the hunt.

hiker270

WKR
If your in Colorado odds are somebody else has seen them also. If your talking archery I'd try and keep track of them through the summer and if they remain in the same place consistently I'd formulate a plan for early archery season. Other than the first week or so they will break up and look for cows. My plan for many years is find the cows the bulls will show up.

Once the velvet comes off all bets are off
What cnelk said. Also, during the rut, bulls run cows, and aren't in bachelor groups. Focus on learning the whole unit, eliminate the "no way elk will be here" areas, access, trails, etc. Try to get in a few days before opener, really look for elk then (will be a lot different).

Marble

WKR
This time of year, bulls are in groups. They will generally leave that area in search of cows. Might be 1/2 mile, might be 25. Find the cows. That is what they will all be searching for.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Mag_7s

WKR
The only thing I have figured out about bulls are I can't figure them out. They are so nomadic from my experience. For me, I would focus on the cow behavior, habitat and terrain features conduce with elk movement between feeding and bedding areas. Learn the wind and thermal patterns for those areas. From my experience, (maybe its just where i hunt) elk prefer areas where the winds are very inconsistent, and always swirling. Curious if anyone else had observed this.

WTFJohn

WKR
If it was Aug 29, pattern them and get one in the opening days.

It's June 29. Go find more bulls in 4 other spots. Find cows. Learn as many things about the area as possible without thrashing around your hunting grounds all summer.

What Cnelk said X2, once they rub off they will break up and start staging closer to cows for the rut. Finding the cows now will typically pay off more than finding bulls. That being said the cows will also move some following the best feed but shouldn't be too far, most likely just changes in elevation for the most part.