Scouting a new area this year?

I scout units I have hunted for years. Darn elk move around, "big bull valley" one year, devoid of ungulate life the next. If I drew a unit I had not hunted before, especially if it was something that one can't draw consistently, investing in boots (or tires) on the ground will increase odds for sure. Everyone can see that water hole on Google maps. Not everyone notices the seep tucked up by the rocks 1/2 mile from a point that is not seen from a satellite.

LFC911

WKR
I drew a WY general elk tag with a buddy and we're planning on going with an outfitter the end of September with a rifle. Just going to e-scout to get familiar with the area but relying on them for where to go.

Also snagged an ID OTC A tag on 12/1 to an area I've never been to before. I applied for an LE tag this month and should find out either way on that soon. If the LE tag doesn't pan out I will also try to exchange the OTC tag on the 27th to an area I have been to before and saw success. If neither of those work out I have to decide whether to return it and hunt KS Mule Deer OTC ML in Sept or go out to ID in Sept and figure it out. I'm leaning towards the former to save my feet for the WY hunt. Signed -Lucky to have options

1) E scout: Put down markers for access points and potential water sources. When I E scout I look for areas that have water, patches of open grazing terrain (elk are grazers! they love grass) and fringe areas where the terrain will transition. Also for access I have been able to find trails that lead to amazing areas, but they are not very evident and are usually more of a suspicion then a confirmed pathway.

2) Truck: I like to drive the roads and get a visual, so I have a mental image on what the country actually looks like and also for camping areas.

3) Boots: Hike trails and look for old rubs, potential wallows or drinking areas and hammered down trails and sign. I set out trail cameras in places I feel will be productive. The 'suspicious trails I mentioned while E scouting are now confirmed through hiking. Some don't pan out and others lead to fantastic game trails that are definitely not visible with E scouting... just have 1 thing lead into another.

Short of finding access points and camping spots, I don’t see the point in scouting elk this early.

Either way, glad to see people out and about enjoying the outdoors!

LostArra

WKR
Some of the best Intel we've received was from local cowboys who are getting cattle out of the mountains off grazing leases. The cowboys can be a blessing or a curse while hunting. The largest group of elk I've ever seen was pushed towards us off private land by two cowboys on horseback with one cattle dog that were gathering strays a half mile away. We never got closer than 100 yards but it was quite a sight.

While checking our coolers of quartered cows at a mandatory check station two game wardens asked us about seeing any big bulls. Of course with cow tags we had seen some monsters. When asked where, my buddy replied "chasing these cows between the trees and the rocks". They had a good laugh and let it go.
His usual answer was "if we tell ya, we have to kill ya"

tdhanses

WKR
I decided to check out a new area close to some land I own this fall but instead of getting a tag I’ll just scout it during season to see what pressure is like and try to find where the elk get pushed, no need to waste money on a tag for the unknown.

LostArra

WKR
I decided to check out a new area close to some land I own this fall but instead of getting a tag I’ll just scout it during season to see what pressure is like and try to find where the elk get pushed, no need to waste money on a tag for the unknown.
Bad plan.
You are pretty much guaranteed to be overrun by elk.

An elk tag, filled or not, has never been a waste of money.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Short of finding access points and camping spots, I don’t see the point in scouting elk this early.

Either way, glad to see people out and about enjoying the outdoors!
Yep… other than a few cams on water sources that will turn into wallows, most places I hunt the bulls are miles away from where they end up in Sept bachelored up. I’d say good intel will come Aug 15-20 forward, and then years of experience in certain areas

I drew a top tier WA elk tag a few weeks ago!
I’ve been talking to guys I know that have helped in that unit or hunted it themselves. Been DM’ing with guys on forums that are willing to help a brother out. I’m headed over first weekend of July to vet out some areas and place 4 or 5 cameras. I’ll be back in mid August poking around, and back Labor Day weekend to finalize my plan of attack and set up camp and my season starts Sept. 9th. It’s only 4hrs from my house so it makes these things possible without have to take extra vacation days