Scott S2? Carter Like Mike 2? Tru Ball Execution?

Anyone have experience with these release and can compare the length of the release head? I am trying to find a new index release for primarily hunting purpose. I shoot a handheld (carter too simple) for the off season but have really only hunted with an index. I don't have huge hands and when I shorten index releases to hook my finger some of the heads are so big my finger has to reach. I can't shoot rigid style connections for this reason, they are simply too long.

I tried an original like mike but the head was too long, even when I shortened the release all the way it was still too long. I also shoot a fairly light trigger (not spot hog wiseguy light). Also interested in the lightness of the trigger as well. I know the like mike 2 says it can be as light as 10oz, but I have no idea what oz weight trigger I prefer so I can't really reference what that means for me. Hoping someone has some experience wtih a least a few of these.

Thanks.

A friend I shoot with bought the Execution, was pretty disappointed with it. He is now using the Scott S2 and is pretty pleased with it. I think he has issues with consistency out of the Execution, now if you can find an older Execute, that's a very good index.

I don't shoot an index, so I don't have personal experience.

OP
B
Well that's good to know. It's hard to get a feel for these releases. And they are all about $179 or more. So buying them all and dropping $600 to test them all is not feasible. Appreciate the feedback.

I've been shooting a Wiseguy for a while and have been pretty happy with it, I like a really light trigger. Just picked up a Like Mike 2 to try out - I don't care for it at all personally. Even at its lowest setting the trigger is too heavy for me, and I don't like the length of the head either (specifically the distance between the hook and the trigger).

I've got it listed for sale in the classifieds if you want to give it a try.

OP
B
That is good to know your comparison to the Wiseguy. I have shot them and they have a very light trigger for sure. I am looking for something just a bit heavier, but not a lot more than the Wiseguy. I just ordered a Carter Rx1 to try. If I don't like it I'll PM you as I know you mentioned a trade if you don't sell the LM2. Thanks!

That is good to know your comparison to the Wiseguy. I have shot them and they have a very light trigger for sure. I am looking for something just a bit heavier, but not a lot more than the Wiseguy. I just ordered a Carter Rx1 to try. If I don't like it I'll PM you as I know you mentioned a trade if you don't sell the LM2. Thanks!

The RX1 seems like it should be a nice middle ground between the WG and LM2, I hope you like it!

setch

WKR
I picked up an S2 and love it. It is very adjustable on tension and as I have it set, there is NO creep. I as well have small hands and find it comfortable to reach the trigger when I have it set to my anchor-spot.

If you search online, you can do better than $179.

I looked very hard at the RX1 and shied away as I didnt want magnets. I also looked at the LM2 and found the locking mechanism to be a bit wonky.

...let us know what you think of the RX1.

OP
B
Thanks for the info. Rx1 comes tomorrow. Going to try to test it this weekend. I’ll report back when I get some reps!

DanimalW

WKR
I recently got a LM2 to replace an old flip back release that I always had to reach for on its shortest setting. I think I have pretty average sized hands, and initially had it set too short for me (with plenty of room to go shorter yet). It was so short I couldn’t get my thumb onto the button to reset the release. So I lengthened it some, but still pretty short. I know they shortened the head from the LM1, but not sure how much of a difference that makes. I’m very happy with the LM2.

OP
B
Thanks for that about the LM2, that makes me think it could be an option for me.

OP
B
So I had some time to put the RX1 through a bit of testing this weekend. It is a pretty good release. Carter has changed to an all black look with the trigger and hook which I really like. The trigger is crisp. It had a bit of travel set in it from the factory. I took that out pretty easy with the travel screw. It breaks pretty clean without slop that I can detect. The strap is comfortable and is from b3 archery. The worst part about the strap is the way the nylon connects to it with the single screw (see pic attached). Previously carter has used straps by Scott archery (I know Scott was started by the current B3 owners) that attached with two screws compressing the nylon. Now with this B3 version there is a single screw and at first it would slip and would loosen as I would draw. It took a good bit of tightening to secure. It's not a deal breaker but was a bit concerning about how it will hold. I left the stock trigger spring in. It comes with 4 springs total each increasing in tension. The stock spring feels the lightest. I wanted a semi light trigger and the stock spring is about the heaviest I would go for me. I would like it a touch lighter but you can't adjust the compression on the trigger spring. It's just swap the spring in or out. So while I would say it's a light trigger, I would like it a touch lighter, but it's not so heave for me that it starts to affect my shot process. The trigger is curved and is ergonomic and I can curl my finger in deep to get a good pull. It does break clean and consistent. The hook doesn't always auto return. After the shot there are magnets that are supposed to pull the hook back into the set position. From there a simple trigger pull allows a full reset with a positive "click", similar to the sound of cocking a thumb release. If you are a guy who has to have a fully silent release, this is not the release for you. The cocking noise as the hook is fully reset isn't loud, but you can hear it. It's quieter than my Carter Too Simple cocking noise. At the shot there is no click noise at the point of fire. As I said though the auto return isn't reliable. What happens is the hook gets stuck in the open position and requires you to put it into the set position to then allow the trigger pull to fully reset. I took a picture of how it gets stuck requiring a manual push to allow the trigger reset function. IMG_7272.JPG

It's not a big deal, but it would be nice if it is consistent one way or the other. I am getting used to always manually pushing it into the set position so I can pull the trigger for a full re-set. This is the only way I can think to insure that when I need a quick follow up shot I'm not fumbling around.

Final thoughts: It's a pretty good release and I will likely keep it. There is no travel and it is a clean break. The auto return doesn't work all the time, but I don't care. I like the "click" as it fully resets to tell me shot is ready. I still would like to try both an LM2 and Scott S2 if I can get my hands on them to compare. But for now, I like this release the best of the ones I've tried. It is a heavier pull than the Wiseguy, but lighter than the B3 Hawk.

Thanks for the responses!

Attachments

• IMG_7270.JPG
    IMG_7270.JPG
    220.4 KB · Views: 25

setch

WKR
Interesting that the RX1 auto-return is not resetting as it should. I can tell you the s2 is completely reliable - once you set it with the set button, it is locked and ready to fire.

I have run probably 400-500 shots and have had zero issues whatsoever.

OP
B
yea it's weird. It's like 50% that it auto-returns. It's easy to tell if it is ready to fire though, I mean if you don't hear that "click" it isn't ready. Then it takes a little manual push and it is good to go. It's not a big deal really. I shot a scott silverhorn and that need a manual finger reset too. I really want to compare it to the Scott S2. I want to compare the triggers. The S2 is a little more adjustable as you can dial the tension on the trigger and travel and the Rx1 only has that for the travel. The spring change thing is fine, but it means only 4 tension settings, which may cover most people, but it's not as customizable for sure.

Point Man

Lil-Rokslider
I have been eyeballing the Scott S2 also just because I want a double sear index release. I also considered the Like Mike II , also a double sear. I agree that the hook up on the LMII is kind of wonky but the return hook-up on the S2 is powered by a rubber band. That bothers me a bit because rubber bands eventually break. The Carter Quickies had that problem. I am also worried that the distance between the hook and the trigger is so long that I might have to change the set up I have now on my bow with draw length and peep sight that works so well with my Stan SoleX . Carter Wise Choice and my newly bought Stan Onex. I will tell you though that the Stan SoleX is the cat's meow. I was going back and forth trying to decide on the SoleX or the RX1. The magnets lost out. I have the SoleX with the nylon web connection. I can hook my index finger around the trigger and have good back tension execution.

Edit: In my post,I state that the S2 has a return set by a rubber band. I stated that because in Lancaster Archery video review of the S2,he mentioned that the hook returns via a rubber band. However,I just had a reply on another forum from a guy who has the S2 and he said it is returned via a spring. That puts better like on the subject and puts the S2 in the running.

Last edited:
I use an Execution and have no issues.
I was asking a few buddies that are shooting year around and both recommend.Page pierce recommendation as well.
That was a few years ago so maybe something else is better now but I have no plans to change.

Point Man

Lil-Rokslider
Edit: In my post # 14 ,I state that the S2 has a return set by a rubber band. I stated that because in Lancaster Archery video review of the S2,he mentioned that the hook returns via a rubber band. However,I just had a reply on another forum from a guy who has the S2 and he said it is returned via a spring. That puts better like on the subject and puts the S2 in the running.

ncavi8tor

WKR
I've been shooting the Like Mike for several years. I like the trigger adjusted heavy enough that I can wrap my index finger around it to the second knuckle. Great release!

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

LostArra

WKR
TRU Ball Short and SweetR has been good for me. I think it has to do with the trigger positioning. I like the swept back configuration compared to the 90 degree trigger on my Scott.