Score this buck ?

hobbes

WKR
He looks bigger in the second photo with his held up high, but it's tough to get a good feel for mass with velvet on and main beam length without a side shot also. My first instinct would be pushing up against 150 but trying to run some numbers with modest main beam puts me a little under. I really need a side shot to get a better feel for it. In MT, he'd get an incredibly hard look and I think most folks, especially those from WA (it's a joke :)) would lose their bowels and dive out of their pick-up truck like a lunatic, guns a blazing.

He looks bigger in the second photo with his held up high, but it's tough to get a good feel for mass with velvet on and main beam length without a side shot also. My first instinct would be pushing up against 150 but trying to run some numbers with modest main beam puts me a little under. I really need a side shot to get a better feel for it. In MT, he'd get an incredibly hard look and I think most folks, especially those from WA (it's a joke :)) would lose their bowels and dive out of their pick-up truck like a lunatic, guns a blazing.

Yep, it's a pretty buck. Hard to pass on something like, no matter where it is. Possibly as much as 90% of hunters would be waffling that thing without hesitation. No fault in that, but it's not a 150+ inch deer.

Fact of the matter is that most hunters that don't see a number of mature mule deer each and every year, don't realize just how much antler it takes to get to 160, 170 or 180 inches.

It's much like the "380 inch elk phenomena", where every above average bull is a "380 inch" or "400 inch" elk, but in reality, is a 330 or 340 bull.

Extrapale

WKR
I come up with 158". I have a nearly identical 3 point to this buck that grosses 148. Those backs are 5 inches each.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

feae85d12cd61a9e80b6f6e01c09b689.jpg

This buck is 142” gross and looks pretty similar, minus the extras.

*******************************************************************************************
e6cd3c51ffc26d5145298cfdf6b8fc03.jpg

This buck is 147” gross.
********************************************************************************************

b9b16dcc757f4ca48e5156ec495ece98.jpg

This buck is 163” gross.

Last edited: