Scope with 1” Tube for Dialing

This may be an odd request, but I am looking for a scope for my wife. I am wanting a 1” scope for dialing 500 and in. We don’t need the added elevation or weight of the 30 mm tube. Since she’s always complaining about rifle weight, keeping the weight down is important. We have done the hold over and BDC reticle deal and much prefer dialing elevation at 300+. It won’t be dialed a ton but I’d like to have the option in certain scenarios. Are there any reliable 1” scopes that dial? Do the Trijicon Hurons have the ability to reset zero and dial? Any other options? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Guide

WKR
This may be an odd request, but I am looking for a scope for my wife. I am wanting a 1” scope for dialing 500 and in. We don’t need the added elevation or weight of the 30 mm tube. Since she’s always complaining about rifle weight, keeping the weight down is important. We have done the hold over and BDC reticle deal and much prefer dialing elevation at 300+. It won’t be dialed a ton but I’d like to have the option in certain scenarios. Are there any reliable 1” scopes that dial? Do the Trijicon Hurons have the ability to reset zero and dial? Any other options? Thanks!

I just put a 3x9 Huron on my 223. Got the bdc reticle and I am impressed so far. Sighted in easy. The elevation and windage are both reputable to zero but have no zero stop/lock. Entered the zero of 1" hight at 100 yards with BH 77tmk (mpbr to 250 yards) into my ballistics app and dialed 4.5 MOA on a steel plate at 330 yards for a first round impact. Dialed to 11 MOA on a small rock at 515 yards and first round impact again. Dialed back to zero and was still 1" high at 100. It is a very basic scope and I'm not sure how far it would make it through Form's scope evaluation due to the amount of plastic it has. Clicks are positive and firm. Not as solid as my Trijicon-Credo but for $300 on eurooptic.com it is well worth the price at this point in my experience. I might even see if Form wants to test one.

Jay

16975891989323613103042508597157.jpg

OP
beerbucksducks
I just put a 3x9 Huron on my 223. Got the bdc reticle and I am impressed so far. Sighted in easy. The elevation and windage are both reputable to zero but have no zero stop/lock. Entered the zero of 1" hight at 100 yards with BH 77tmk (mpbr to 250 yards) into my ballistics app and dialed 4.5 MOA on a steel plate at 330 yards for a first round impact. Dialed to 11 MOA on a small rock at 515 yards and first round impact again. Dialed back to zero and was still 1" high at 100. It is a very basic scope and I'm not sure how far it would make it through Form's scope evaluation due to the amount of plastic it has. Clicks are positive and firm. Not as solid as my Trijicon-Credo but for $300 on eurooptic.com it is well worth the price at this point in my experience. I might even see if Form wants to test one.

Jay

View attachment 615304

Good deal, I appreciate the info!

OP
beerbucksducks
I hadn’t seen the $299 Huron deal on euro optic. For that price, I ordered one up and will give it a go! I think it should be perfect for her. Thanks for the feedback.

Waterboy

Lil-Rokslider
I hadn’t seen the $299 Huron deal on euro optic. For that price, I ordered one up and will give it a go! I think it should be perfect for her. Thanks for the feedback.

I have one headed my way. Have you gotten yours?

Fowl Play

WKR

Just cause I am generally curious. Are there actually weight differences between 1” and 30mm scopes? Which ones are you comparing? It’s 4.6mm larger diameter, but larger diameter also allows them to be stiffer so you can drop wall thickness of the tube, my gut says comparative scopes would be nearly identical in weight.

Last edited:

Macintosh

WKR
Just cause I am generally curious. Are there actually weight differences between 1” and 30mm scopes? Which ones are you comparing? It’s 4.6mm larger diameter, but larger diameter also allows them to be stiffer so you can drop wall thickness of the tube, my gut says comparative scopes would be nearly identical in weight.
COULD be. Or manufacturers could be utilizing the larger tube for greater rigidity and durability or simply more room for internals. Or a mixture, depending. I think I recall a thread that discussed this (“why 30mm” or something like that), but havent looked for comparables.

OP
beerbucksducks
I have one headed my way. Have you gotten yours?

I did receive the scope from euro optic. I am waiting on a rail to arrive so I can get the scope mounted a bit further back for her. The 2 piece bases on the gun now didn’t allow enough adjustability to get perfect sight picture.

As far as weight savings, I can’t say I actually compared 30mm vs. 1” side by side. I assumed a larger would weigh more, even if it’s minimal. For her, I’ll take any weight savings I can get.

Fowl Play

WKR
I did receive the scope from euro optic. I am waiting on a rail to arrive so I can get the scope mounted a bit further back for her. The 2 piece bases on the gun now didn’t allow enough adjustability to get perfect sight picture.

As far as weight savings, I can’t say I actually compared 30mm vs. 1” side by side. I assumed a larger would weigh more, even if it’s minimal. For her, I’ll take any weight savings I can get.

Cool, whatever works!

Just cause I was curious I looked up what a comparable 30mm tube would be. A Leupold Mark 3HD 3x9x40mm with 30mm tubes at least is advertised to weigh exactly the same as the 1” tube Trijicon Huron (15.8oz). Not saying ones better than the other. Whatever works for you. But seems like you prob only save maybe a couple grams on mounts between 1” and 30mm?

Macintosh

WKR
I think you’ll find most trij scopes to be heavier than their leupold counterpart because they simply choose to build more heavily constructed scopes across the board in any given category—so no surprise to me that a “bigger” scope from leupold weighs the same as a “smaller” scope from trijicon. Example, my 1” 3-9 trij scope is several ounces heavier than the closest equivalent 1” model from leupold. My guess is since I think there might be multiple reasons for a manufacturer to use a 30mm tube versus a 1” tube, that one would find variability in how different manufacturers choose to apply those differences, ie leupold might choose to apply weight savings while another company might choose a heavier build in favor of increased rigidity, etc, or both. Also the SAME manufacturer probably isnt going to build a scope that essentially duplicates that 1” model with a different design so would guess they would choose to maximize other advantages of a larger tube apart from only making it the same weight…ex leupold used to make their 4.5-14 in both 1” and 30mm, and quick look online suggests the 30mm version was 3oz heavier. But by also adding a different magnification (ie vx3>>vx5) it’s opaque whether the 30mm tube in a vx5 is adding any rigidity over a vx3 or if they’ve chosen to use a thinner tube and keep rigidity the same but make it lighter than it would otherwise be.

Waterboy

Lil-Rokslider
Cool, whatever works!

Just cause I was curious I looked up what a comparable 30mm tube would be. A Leupold Mark 3HD 3x9x40mm with 30mm tubes at least is advertised to weigh exactly the same as the 1” tube Trijicon Huron (15.8oz). Not saying ones better than the other. Whatever works for you. But seems like you prob only save maybe a couple grams on mounts between 1” and 30mm?
I’d say that your best bet would be to find a comparable scope from the same company. That way you don’t have too many different variables. Sticking with leupold… Not exactly perfect but a 3-9x40 Vx freedom is 12.2 oz in a 1” tube and a 3-9x40 mark 3 is 15.6 oz. In a 30mm. The freedom is moa and the mark 3 is mil.

OP
beerbucksducks
Thanks for all of the input! I ordered the Huron and have it in hand, the rail should be in today, so hopefully we can get out and shoot it tomorrow.

zusmc

FNG
Both my Leupold VX2 and VX3 with CDS have been very reliable. Both of them are 1" tubes. I have taken them out to about 700 yards and back with reliability.
I second this. The glass quality on Leupold is hard to be and they are very light. The firedot reticle is my personal favorite for hunting, especially in low light prime time conditions.

OP
beerbucksducks
Just to update the thread. I sighted in the Huron last weekend. Tracking was spot on for sight in. I haven’t figured out the dope 100% but I took it out to 500 and back to 100. So far so good. The eye box is definitely tighter than the Nikon that came off of the gun. We have it set as best we can for sight picture at 3x and 9x, but still requires a slight change in cheek weld. Time will tell if she likes it, but so far seems like it’ll work for her purposes. Hard to beat for $300 I’d say.