Scope recommendations for Kimber Mountain Ascent?

TNHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Just pulled the trigger on a new Kimber Mountain Ascent in 300 wm and I’m looking for scope recommendations... I want to keep it as light as possible with a range of 500 yards max... I will be hunting elk and deer with this rifle ... budget around $600 ... I’ve got Vortex and Nikon on my other hunting rifles but not totally brand loyal. Thanks in advance from Nashville

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s a tough one, I’d personally throw on a nightforce SHV 3-10 but that’s a bit over your budget, my mountain ascent 300wsm is sitting here with a leupold vx5 2-10 but only
Because I had it sitting around.

For what it’s worth, my go to rifle is a kimber Montana 308 with a nightforce shv 3-10.

Swarovski Z3, have them on 2 kimbers . 3-10x42 and 3-9x36. Light with great glass.

I agree, swaro Z3s are great scopes. Reasonably priced, light and crystal clear. With that said, I just ordered a Nightforce SHV 3-10x42 for my next mountain rifle build based on reviews and feedback on this forum.

Just put the nightforce f1 on my browning hells canyon and love it. Although a bit out of your price range, paid $1100. I also have the vortex equivalent, don't recall the model, but similarly spec'd and probably a better value than the nightforce.

I have been intrigued by the ultralight SWFA for this purpose. I don’t have experience with it, but am really considering this for an ultralight rig.

My Forbes wears a FFP 42mm March, which I like a whole lot, but is not budget friendly to say the least.

I really like the Nikon Prostaff 5 FFP models. They have the BDC reticle and with the Nikon app you can put in your scope, bullet, and will show where you will hit at each yardage bubble on the scope. I have one on my mountain ascent and my Kimber hunter. And I think they are only 2 ounces more than the Leupold VX3i. I really like them

The lightest is gonna be a Leupold VX-2/3 variant. Will you be hunting in low light conditions or after the sun has come up?

I’ve got the Leupold VX3 2.5-8. Lightweight and bombproof. I got leupold to put the dial on it with a zero stop. All in it was still under $500.

I’ve shot game from 100-450 yds with this setup and I think if you are going for a lightweight setup, anything heavier is overkill.

If you're looking to stay light as possible, your lightest option is the vx2 ultralight. I have the 3-9x33 and its 9 oz. The 2-7x28 will save you another ounce or so

Even a Swarovski Z5 5-25 at 17.5 oz. I have one on my 280AI and I’m close to 6.5 lbs.

Leupold VX-2 3-9x33 with CDS (9 oz.), otherwise, for a bit more $$, wt. penalty, and quality, Swaro Z3 3-9x36
(12 oz.).

I agree with the above,, I own 2 Mountain Accents, one in 280AI and the other 30-06, Had the Luppys on them and upgraded to a Z3 on one and a Z5 on the other for better low light and ability to dial.

Back