Scope mounting issues

WCB

WKR
If everything looks ok level wise and you remount a scope. Remove the bolt and bore sight looking down the barrel. I messed around with enough bore sighting b.s. products and get way closer from the get go just looking through the barrel. However, in general it doesn't make any sense that the scopes would run out of opposite travel.

OP
Grundy53

Grundy53

WKR
If everything looks ok level wise and you remount a scope. Remove the bolt and bore sight looking down the barrel. I messed around with enough bore sighting b.s. products and get way closer from the get go just looking through the barrel. However, in general it doesn't make any sense that the scopes would run out of opposite travel.
That's what I usually do to. But with the original problem I figured I would use a laser. To clarify both scopes are running out of up adjustment with these new bases. Previously I ran out of down adjustment with the original bases.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

JMundy84

Lil-Rokslider
Does it have a brake on it? I've had issues with the way a laser boresight sits against a brake before

10 yards I can almost get to the laser. But then I would have zero ability to dial.

If you’re at 10 yards and 2 inches low or less I’d shoot and see what happens. If you’re 2” high at 10 yards you’ll be stupid high at 100.

The front base is so low that the rings will not clamp down to it properly, you need to grind a small radius out of under the ring claws

Extend a straight edge across those bases and see what the calipers distance from the barrel to the straight edge is at the receiver and as far down the barrel as your straight edge will go. If that barrel is threaded properly it should be equal distance down across the barrel.. If it isn’t, your barrel either isn’t true to your action or your bases arnt the same thickness.

You could do this in a Bridgeport with an armed indicator and some gauge blocks as well.

Kinda difficult to explain but I think you get the picture.

WKR
It was mentioned before, but maybe dial the Nightforce all the way up and all the way back down. Keep track of how much vertical you get. If it varies from the published amount, I would bet the zero stop is causing the issue. Go on youtube, watch a video on that scope and reset that.

Hope you figure it out as that stuff always is annoying. You'll like the one piece rail regardless, big fan of those.

OP
Grundy53

Grundy53

WKR
I just did this. It appears to have fixed the problem. I still have to shoot it to confirm but it looks good.

WCB

WKR
I just did this. It appears to have fixed the problem. I still have to shoot it to confirm but it looks good.

Hopefully...I refuse to use any bore sight devices. Even ARs I just remove the upper and BCG and look down the barrel. I have never been more than a couple inches off of a 100 yards zero. I usually do this at 50-60 yards through the window in my "gun room". I don't mess with anything under that.

Did it see like it still took "a lot" of travel to get there? or did it seem to be more towards the center of the scopes travel range?

OP
Grundy53

Grundy53

WKR
Hopefully...I refuse to use any bore sight devices. Even ARs I just remove the upper and BCG and look down the barrel. I have never been more than a couple inches off of a 100 yards zero. I usually do this at 50-60 yards through the window in my "gun room". I don't mess with anything under that.

Did it see like it still took "a lot" of travel to get there? or did it seem to be more towards the center of the scopes travel range?
It felt normal. There will be plenty of elevation to play with. I never use a laser bore sight either. This just confirms why. I usually bore sight the way you describe too.

OP
Grundy53

Grundy53

WKR

I finally got time to shoot. I was able to sight it in with no issues.