Scope lens covers

I'm taking a rifle for spring bear hunt and I want to get a good scope cover/ lens covers. What type do you like best?

I've used the clear lens bikini type that come with Swarovski scopes and they are not clear enough to shoot through and too loud when removed.

Not crazy about the plastic Leupold flip ups, I had a pair snap of in cold weather. Are the butler creek any better? I like the idea of the neoprene covers for a little protection.

The neoprene covers are ok and I could tether it to the front sling swivel.

Has anyone tried the leupold Alumina flip ups?

How about the horn hunter "snapshot" neoprene type?

So what do you use and like?

Jimbob

WKR
Alumina flip up are awesome but so pricey. Butler creek are good for the price but they will eventually break. Broken scope covers will not make my scope inoperable so I don't care that much if they break. I would rather the alumina for sure but the cost hurts so sometimes butler creek gets the nod. This are the only two I have tried.

elkguide

WKR
The most success that I saw hunters using that I was guiding was with the neoprene ones that they had rubber banded to their scopes and just flipped them up.

Me, I use toilet paper to clean my lenses and don't hassle with something else to break or fool with when it comes to time to take the shot.

tttoadman

WKR
I bought the vortex with the doping ring. This thing is goofy. It slides on with a soft rubber section. You cant actually flip it open or closed without pulling it off completely. I think the only reason it won't break is because you pull it off in your hand instead. It worked OK by opening and "half" locking it down. Then it would flip up without coming off. When it dies or pisses me off enough, I will be getting something different.

mmw194287

WKR
I bought the vortex with the doping ring. This thing is goofy. It slides on with a soft rubber section. You cant actually flip it open or closed without pulling it off completely. I think the only reason it won't break is because you pull it off in your hand instead. It worked OK by opening and "half" locking it down. Then it would flip up without coming off. When it dies or pisses me off enough, I will be getting something different.
Same experiences here with the Defender caps...pretty frustrating.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I'm taking a rifle for spring bear hunt and I want to get a good scope cover/ lens covers. What type do you like best?

I've used the clear lens bikini type that come with Swarovski scopes and they are not clear enough to shoot through and too loud when removed.

Not crazy about the plastic Leupold flip ups, I had a pair snap of in cold weather. Are the butler creek any better? I like the idea of the neoprene covers for a little protection.

The neoprene covers are ok and I could tether it to the front sling swivel.

Has anyone tried the leupold Alumina flip ups?

How about the horn hunter "snapshot" neoprene type?

So what do you use and like?

I use the Leupold Alumina on most my Leupold scopes and really like them. I'm also testing a set from AADMOUNT Flip Up Scope Caps on my Nightforce SHV. So far, I really like them and they have a lifetime warranty. They won't save you much compared to the Leupold caps though with a price of $100 per pair.

sab

Lil-Rokslider
PantherCity:

Over the years, I have used nearly every method that you've considered. Here are my thoughts regarding the ones you've mentioned:

Clear Lens Swaro-style Caps - too heavy for what they are, too noisy clanking and clunking during removal, but most importantly, way too clumsy to remove or take off in a hurry. I cannot figure out why Swaro supplies such a useless cover with their scopes.

Butler Creek Covers - I have these on several scopes, and the only problems I've experienced are caps opening while stillhunting through the thick stuff and losing a cap (one time) in the same environment. Luckily, I re-traced my steps and found the cap later. The fit and function seems to be hit-and-miss for me. Some fit well, and some don't. The huge benefit of these is that they are very inexpensive, so you can try 'em without wasting much money if they don't work for you.

Leupold Plastic Flip-ups - I have these on a Mark IV scope mounted on an AR in 6.8SPC that I use occasionally for whitetail. They fit better than the Butler Creek, presumably because they were tailor-made for that scope. This is not a bad option because they are not terribly expensive, but they are not available for many scopes.

Leupold Alumina Covers - I have these on a VX-3L scope (with the funny-shaped objective) because Butler Creek doesn't make anything to fit. I was hesitant to spend that much on covers, but since they were the only option for that scope, I splurged. Yes, they are expensive and heavy (by backpacking standards), but they have all the advantages of the Butler Creek covers and none of the disadvantages, plus they don't look like an afterthought! If you have to have covers, and you have a Leupy, I think these are worth the investment.

Scopecoat-style Neoprene Covers - I've been using these almost exclusively these days. They are cheap, lightweight, provide more protection for the entire scope, and very versatile. I don't bother with rubber bands or anything like that (Scopecoat has some with retainer loops, if that interests you). I stillhunt with them installed on the scope, and when I come upon game, I just pop it off and stick it in a pocket in one coordinated, fluid move - easy, peasy!

Horn Hunter SnapShot - I have not used this, or even seen one in person, so these comments are based on a fair bit of conjecture. This cover is relatively inexpensive, and it looks like a good cross between flip-ups and a Scopecoat. One issue I see is that it appears to me that the elevation turret is left exposed. Also, I'm not sure I'd like the "clump" of neoprene above the scope, obscuring my field of view. Honestly, I don't think I'd prefer these over a standard Scopecoat. It's hard to beat simplicity.

I hope this helps!

Regards,
Scott

sab

Lil-Rokslider
I have had great luck with these, lifetime warranty if you ever break one. AADMOUNT Flip Up Scope Caps

I'm also testing a set from AADMOUNT Flip Up Scope Caps on my Nightforce SHV.

rblosser/Justin Crossley:

I was not aware of these until I saw rblosser's post above. Do you know what these are made of (plastic, aluminum, ?), or how they are made (injection molded, CNC-machined, 3D printed?) They honestly don't look like they are worth $100...

Thanks,
Scott

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
rblosser/Justin Crossley:

I was not aware of these until I saw rblosser's post above. Do you know what these are made of (plastic, aluminum, ?), or how they are made (injection molded, CNC-machined, 3D printed?) They honestly don't look like they are worth $100...

Thanks,
Scott
They are some type of composite or plastic. I believe they are molded but not 100% sure. They definitely don't "look" like they should cost that much but they are very good quality.

AdamW

WKR
I'm checking out vortex for my next set. I've got several sets of butler creek and they have worked fine until this year when I broke both the front and rear on my rifle. :D

mtnkid85

WKR
I feel like just about any scope cover is going to break if its open when it shouldn't be. Ive broken a few butler creeks when they've popped open when slung over my shoulder and rubbing against my pack. Ive started slightly filing down the nubs on the front cover so they're less likely to catch on things.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I have been using these on all my hunting rifles since 2012. Great product. Keeps the rain off and protects the scope a bit (though not sure any scope should need a cover to offer protection to work correctly but the added protection I guess is a bonus).

I like the loop integrated around the stock of the rifle so you don't have to worry about losing it in the heat of the moment. In fact I have on occasion use it between my rifle and a rock as a rest a few times shooting critters or a little padding. Works well over all. Cheap and effective.

Bmcox86

WKR
Neoprene cover for me, next time I plan a hunt where there's snow I'll be getting one of those rapid rifle covers that go over the scope and barrel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Neoprene cover for me, next time I plan a hunt where there's snow I'll be getting one of those rapid rifle covers that go over the scope and barrel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why do you want one that goes over the barrel? Wouldn't a little tape on the end of the barrel accomplish the same thing?

I have been using these on all my hunting rifles since 2012. Great product. Keeps the rain off and protects the scope a bit (though not sure any scope should need a cover to offer protection to work correctly but the added protection I guess is a bonus).

I like the loop integrated around the stock of the rifle so you don't have to worry about losing it in the heat of the moment. In fact I have on occasion use it between my rifle and a rock as a rest a few times shooting critters or a little padding. Works well over all. Cheap and effective.

Luke, using what?