School me on Tripods

I'm looking for a compact tripod for a straight Athlon 65mm spotter and potentially a pair of binos. I'll never shoot off it, it's being used this year for a pretty unique archery elk hunt. I've used the search feature here until my head started spinning. My budget all in is about $200. Big plus if they are on GovX or similar discount sites. I'd like it to weigh around 2lb and be tall enough to be used seated looking down. I'm 6' tall. Thank you guys in advance.

lukebrowning

Lil-Rokslider
Even though you don’t intend on shooting off it, suck it up and carry the extra weight of a solid tripod. Skinny and light tripods are nicer to carry but if they shake then it’s just useless weight. I would much rather cut weight somewhere else…

MrAKGuy

FNG
Hard to get a quality light weight tripod below $200. You can check out Tricer. Above your price point but they do offer a discount on GovX. I have no experience with that brand. Otherwise, check out the Sirui. I use the Sirui T-024SK VA-5X Fluid Head Carbon Tripod Kit and it works great for uses as you described. Sirui currently has a mail in rebate if that helps.

I use a slik 532 series for what you’re describing. You can’t expect rock solid when you go ultra light, but absolutely usable for throwing a lighter spotting scope on and field judging. Especially if you are backpacking it makes sense to go lighter. Elk are not that hard to spot..guessing you mostly need it for field judging

Cannonball

Lil-Rokslider
Sirui T-024SK for lightweight
SIRUI ST-124 for a little more weight but stronger and taller

small rig head on either

I am 6' tall as well. I bought the Sirui T-004SK aluminum tripod. I had a Viper 65mm spotter and a set of binos I glassed with. Tripod has the VA-5 head (awesome tripod head), i picked this up for 130$ on sale. Great lightweight tripod. Right around the 2 lb. mark.

Definitely give this a look, I do 90% of my glassing sitting. It will work standing, but the last leg section can be shaky when windy.