School me on Snowshoes

crich

WKR
Id like do get the 101 on snowshoes from some of you with experience. I realize they're probably like boats and ideally you'd have one for each specific scenario/condition. Im looking for an economical setup (not junk) that I can winter hunt caribou with and still tackle some elevation gains effectively if needed.

- Is a do it all shoe even worth messing with? Id like to not spend the money on more than one set if I can help it.

- What specific features should I be looking for? Good and bad...

- Any recommendations? Fwiw I have access to the pro discount at MSR via cascade designs.

Thanks for any insight.

Mark at EXO

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You should be able to get away with something pretty economical for the winter caribou stuff, but if you start working in a lot of ascents and/or mixed terrain (snow, ice, rock, etc), I'd use the pro discount and spring for the MSR Lightning Ascent. They should be a good do-it-all option as well. If the ruggedness isn't a primary concern, I'd look for something with optional/removable floats, allowing you to customize the length based on the conditions or what type of load you're carrying. No matter the model/style you go with, the heel lifters are a must if you'll be gaining elevation.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’ve bear on a pair of atlas montagne snowshoes for the past 5 or so years. I don’t have any complaints about those and would probably buy another set if I broke them or something. I’ve climbed mountains and done long treks in them with no issues. The bindings are easy to use and they stay secure. They also have heel lifters built in church work well.

Id like do get the 101 on snowshoes from some of you with experience. I realize they're probably like boats and ideally you'd have one for each specific scenario/condition. Im looking for an economical setup (not junk) that I can winter hunt caribou with and still tackle some elevation gains effectively if needed.

- Is a do it all shoe even worth messing with? Id like to not spend the money on more than one set if I can help it.

- What specific features should I be looking for? Good and bad...

- Any recommendations? Fwiw I have access to the pro discount at MSR via cascade designs.

Thanks for any insight.
I’ve got a set of MSRs with the fins I’d sell.

Love them but moved to where it rarely snows and haven’t touched them in a couple years. Pm if you’re interested and I’ll send pictures. They’re great.

Wrench

WKR
I’ve got a set of MSRs with the fins I’d sell.

Love them but moved to where it rarely snows and haven’t touched them in a couple years. Pm if you’re interested and I’ll send pictures. They’re great.
This is the ticket. I have several sets of shoes and the msr can take the place of multiple shoes. I'd take this offer if I were you.