School me on .30-06

robtattoo

WKR
I've heard it said, in fact, I've said it myself, that the .30 caliber of 1906 is the finest, most versatile cartridge in the world.
I always felt justified in parroting this pearl of wisdom, because logic &, frankly, hundreds of thousands of people prove it to be true.
However I always felt a wee tad hypocritical saying this, as a complete caliber whore, because until today....I've never actually owned one.
I've bought several, but only because it's the cheapest way to buy a Savage that I've immediately rebarrelled to something sleeker, sexier, faster, bigger etc... I've never actually touched a single round of from an '06. In. My. Life

So now as the immensely proud owner of an American classic, the Rifleman's Rifle, the venerable Winchester model 70, lovingly nestled in a stunning, quilted walnut stock; I need someone to school me on the rascal.

What bullets work for which critter?
What powders are giving the best, consistent loads?
Who likes what brass?
What've you shot, how far was it & how happy were you with the performance?
Who wants to buy a Savage 110 in .280ai? ;)
Why did I have the visceral urge to buy this thing?
Is it compulsory to buy a full sized 1911 now?
Shouldn't it have come with a Greencard?

Stid2677

WKR
This is my pet load, near max so work up. With modern powders the old 06 gets near 300WM velocity. Feeds like a dream and you can find ammo anywhere, about the widest range of bullet sizes of any chambering even reduce recoil loads for stating new shooters. Killed about everything in Alaska with mine. If I had to sell all my rifles, but one. My Kimber Mountain Ascent in 06 would be the one I would keep.

200 yard group.

IMG_0759_zps1b086c5b.jpg

ianpadron

WKR
This is my pet load, near max so work up. With modern powders the old 06 gets near 300WM velocity. Feeds like a dream and you can find ammo anywhere, about the widest range of bullet sizes of any chambering even reduce recoil loads for stating new shooters. Killed about everything in Alaska with mine. If I had to sell all my rifles, but one. My Kimber Mountain Ascent in 06 would be the one I would keep.

200 yard group.

IMG_0759_zps1b086c5b.jpg
How long is the barrel on your aught six Stid? 2917 with a 180 grainer makes me rethink ever going the 300 WM route for sure.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Brass these days seems to be whatever you can find. Win seems to show up every now and then. I haven't seen an Rem on sale in years.

As a general rule:

4350-ish with 150 and 165 grain bullets

4350 or H4831 with 180's

H4831/RL-22 with 200's

Ramshot Big Game (if you can find it) with 150's will break 3000 fps. Use Mag primers.

Ramshot Hunter (again, if you can find it) with 180's will break 2800 fps. Again, use Mag primers.

Stid2677 seems to be having luck with RL17. That is a double base powder that approximates 4350 burn rates. I haven't tried any 17, but I hear good things.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use h4350 and 165s for everything. I did get some rl17 to try stids rocket load but haven't gotten around to loading up any yet

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

How long is the barrel on your aught six Stid? 2917 with a 180 grainer makes me rethink ever going the 300 WM route for sure.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

He's over book max by 3 grains.

'06 data is below pressure of similar rounds due to many military rifles chambered for the cartridge.

It can be exceeded, but tread carefully.

Stid2677

WKR
He's over book max by 3 grains.

'06 data is below pressure of similar rounds due to many military rifles chambered for the cartridge.

It can be exceeded, but tread carefully.

When I developed this load ReLoader 17 was brand new,, there was NO published data. As I said work up, I shot a ladder and went higher then backed off 2 grains. I did get a hard to open bolt at 59 grains. I use this load in a Winchester model 70 and my Kimber Mountain Ascent. Both have been fired hundreds of times.

Never blindly use anyones internet reload data. Always use published data and work up in YOUR rifle. There are many factory 06 loads pushing 3K these days. Reloader 17 is known to generate about 200 FPS over other powders.

What bullets work for which critter?
What powders are giving the best, consistent loads?
Who likes what brass?
What've you shot, how far was it & how happy were you with the performance?
Who wants to buy a Savage 110 in .280ai? ;)
Why did I have the visceral urge to buy this thing?
Is it compulsory to buy a full sized 1911 now?
Shouldn't it have come with a Greencard?

- Almost anything .308 diameter will work well. Advantage to the medium velocity of the '06 case is that it's hard to screw it up. I've used a bunch of different bullets in mine from plain Hornady interlocks to expensive Barnes ... Thus far haven't detected much difference on game. Mostly I shoot 180's for everything, but sprinkled a few 168's, 175's and 200's in also. I've never settled on a single load, but the if I was to do that I'd likely stick with the 175 LRX driven at max speed. Countless other good choices though. Accubonds and Partitions are always a safe bet. Considering your gun... I'd start with a NPT. Winchester + Nosler just seems right?

- The old school 4350/4831 powders seem to be the simplest and most consistent for me. However, a HUGE number of powders work well. It takes medium burn rate powders, and there are dozens available. Hunter has been super consistent in shooting fast and well with almost any of the 180's, but is dang hard to find and I find it loses velocity below zero degrees if that's an issue. RL-17 is slightly more finicky than the single based stick powders in my gun, but is faster than most and accurate enough if I find the right load.

- Brass is what you can find anymore. I got most of mine from range pick ups and trades. A mix of a few hundred R-P, Win, Fed, and a few Norma on the shelf right now Most of your buddys will have a dusty bucket of '06 brass sitting on top of the gun safe or under the loading bench. The mainstream stuff all acts identical in my gun, but the Norma has a little more capacity which can result in slightly lower velocities (pressures) for the same load.

- I've shot game up to moose and grizzly in size. Quite a few assorted caribou, sheep, and even a couple mountain goat too. Longest was about 400 yds personally, although I witnessed a cow moose dropped at 470 with one a few years ago. Penetration gets a little weak at that range, but it did the job. Although plenty of other calibers have been mixed it, my family has been killing moose in Alaska with '06's since likely sometime in the 1930's. Fairly certain if they could be counted, we would be well into triple digits at this point with that caliber alone. No complaints so far...

When I developed this load ReLoader 17 was brand new,, there was NO published data. As I said work up, I shot a ladder and went higher then backed off 2 grains. I did get a hard to open bolt at 59 grains. I use this load in a Winchester model 70 and my Kimber Mountain Ascent. Both have been fired hundreds of times.

Never blindly use anyones internet reload data. Always use published data and work up in YOUR rifle. There are many factory 06 loads pushing 3K these days. Reloader 17 is known to generate about 200 FPS over other powders.

I didn't tell you to stop.

brushape

WKR
My dad and I have been shooting 30-06 exclusively forever (untill last year for me). I started handloading three seasons ago and he has killed a bunch of game with the 165 sgk I load for him all one shot kills out to about 250 yards. My savage 110 will hold 1/2 moa with 185 Bergers and has performed pretty good also on game ImageUploadedByTapatalk1479349369.405422.jpg. Here is a group I somehow shot at 625 with mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brushape

WKR
Forgot to add my rifle alone has probably killed another 30+ blacktail, bears and wild pigs with 150 grain Winchester power points sighted in 2" high at 100

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

57 grains of imr 4350, 168 TTSX gets me 2860-2890 fps and 1/3" groups when i do my part.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

hodgeman

WKR
There is nothing in the world wrong with 180gr bullets at 2700fps.

Been knocking critters in the dirt for a very long time. It's one of the most splendidly boring ballistic combinations ever devised.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
There is nothing in the world wrong with 180gr bullets at 2700fps.

Been knocking critters in the dirt for a very long time. It's one of the most splendidly boring ballistic combinations ever devised.

Well thats good! I don't feel so bad about my 20" .308 shucking the 180 Sciroccos at 2650 fps.

Well thats good! I don't feel so bad about my 20" .308 shucking the 180 Sciroccos at 2650 fps.

2650 is all the faster that a book load of IMR 4350 will push a 180 Hornady from my '06. :)

Obviously all I use that load for is to punch paper and field position practice. Clearly not something I would take hunting. I've got real loads for that. :D.