Schnees Timberline alternative.

pyrotechnic

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone have reccomdation for boots that fit similar to the timberlines.

I'm on my 3rd set in 4 years.
****EDIT it's been closer to 5 years I purchased my first set around the holidays in 2017***

They have all been replaced due to leaking. I just got back from walking around in the rain for 3 hours and the right boot is leaking. I feel like schnees has done a bang up job with their customer service but I'm ready to move on to a different boot. I still have a set of insulated beartooth 2s that I wear infrequently when its really cold and at that point its dry and I'm not worried about the membrane leaking.

Maybe I need to adjust my expectations when it comes to the level of water resistance these type of boots. But, the first set got replaced shortly after my trip to New Zealand was canceled due to covid. If I had wet feet down there for a week because it rained on the first day walking into the mountains I'd have been livid. Replacing $450 boots that still look brand new preemptively isn't an option for me.

Sorry about the rant, again I feel like schnees has taken care of me and their boots fit me really well so I'm hoping someone has reccomdation for a boot that fills the same roll and fits similarly.

Thanks

Last edited:

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Does anyone have reccomdation for boots that fit similar to the timberlines.

I'm on my 3rd set in 4 years...

First, sorry for the trouble you are having with your boots! I have to say, for a single pair of boots to leak is very, very uncommon. Every boot company has a failure rate of some sort for their membranes, but Sympatex has been very solid. We hardly get boots back to leak test anymore honestly. So for 3 of them to have issues is mind blowing. I would love to chat and see if there might be something going on, specific to your environment and/or use. - Matt

OP
P

pyrotechnic

Lil-Rokslider
Matt,
I called on Sunday and didn't get through to anyone and then got busy this week. If I call the shop and ask for you is that the best way to get ahold of you?

I don't believe I'm doing anything particularly crazy. Visually all 3 pair have been in good shape when they started leaking and I'd clean them up and apply nikwax a couple times a year.

Thanks for responding and let me know the best way to get ahold of you.

OP
P

pyrotechnic

Lil-Rokslider
Figured I'd update this.

I called last Friday and talked to Tanner (Matt wasn't available). I believe he is the store manager. He got me a return label and I dropped them in the mail Monday.

I called to inquire today and was called back after they tracked the boots down. I unfortunately managed to immediatley forgot the name of whom I talked to. I was informed that they do leak and since they only warranty the membrane for 365 days from purchase that I could get a new set at 40% discount. I declined and asked that they send the boots back so I can hunt.

Like I said, I've essentially had a new set of boots on my feet for the last 4 years and am not unhappy with the customer service but I don't believe I will be purchasing schnees branded boots going forward.

All 3 of my boots had the sympatex membrane. I bought my first set right after they switched from the outdry.

sndmn11

WKR
Figured I'd update this.

I called last Friday and talked to Tanner (Matt wasn't available). I believe he is the store manager. He got me a return label and I dropped them in the mail Monday.

I called to inquire today and was called back after they tracked the boots down. I unfortunately managed to immediatley forgot the name of whom I talked to. I was informed that they do leak and since they only warranty the membrane for 365 days from purchase that I could get a new set at 40% discount. I declined and asked that they send the boots back so I can hunt.

Like I said, I've essentially had a new set of boots on my feet for the last 4 years and am not unhappy with the customer service but I don't believe I will be purchasing schnees branded boots going forward.

All 3 of my boots had the sympatex membrane. I bought my first set right after they switched from the outdry.
How long have you had the pair they just tested?

OP
P

pyrotechnic

Lil-Rokslider
How long have you had the pair they just tested?
I believe right around a year and a half. Possibly 2 years. I didn't keep receipts. I'm pretty sure I noticed both prior pair leaking while snowshoeing in the spring. The first in 2020 and the next in 2021.

I bought the first set around the holidays in 2017. So they lasted the longest at just over 2 years.

ETA so to correct my first post. It's been closer to 5 years than 4.

Honestly I wouldn't want another pair anything like the timberline's. I got a pair about three weeks ago and they are horrible. Or anything from schnees mtn boots.

I've been doing my normal dog walks on the mountain behind my house here in Colorado and I'm so unimpressed with these boots. First off the tongue of the boot is to thin and the laces cut into your foot. Buy a boot with a better tongue set up. The boot has ankle support but has horrible lateral support down low. It also doesn't do well under load. Been rucking with a 30lb pack to see how they would do. I'd recommend the scarpa kenosis or something along those lines.

Btw I sent them an email saying I'm not happy and they ghosted me. $450 for boots that can't even handle dog walks on a trail. I'll probably write a whole review on how bad these things are eventually. I'm playing with insoles now to see if they help so far they are still a struggle bus. Also the leather on these boots are weak. Already showing signs of wear. So sad cause their pack boots are epic.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Having used the schnees boots in the mountains, the breaks, packing out animals, snow, all day rain, heat, deadfall, etc - not really getting your comments westrnwild. I mean after extended trips via backpack, I’ve always been impressed with their comfort over a lot of other boots I’ve used. Write your review - but clearly they don’t work for you…..doesn’t make them a bad product, certainly bad for you though. PM them, or call them?

Schnee’s - I get there’s a cutoff on all product lives, membranes etc…..But if you’re rocking the premium mountain boot category, I’d like to see you bring it a bit more than every other boot company out there. If your stuff straight up fails (I’ve only experienced this once with outdry) and it isn’t abused, AND there’s a history there, get on it. This 40% off stuff is certainly a nice gesture, but no one pays $450+ for a pair of boots to last a year. That’s a piss poor experience, regardless of your written policy. I would imagine that policy is one of the reasons they cost so much - that’s totally fine. If I call Sitka, I sure as hell am not getting read the fine print on warranty when stuff fails.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
First, sorry for the trouble you are having with your boots! I have to say, for a single pair of boots to leak is very, very uncommon. Every boot company has a failure rate of some sort for their membranes, but Sympatex has been very solid. We hardly get boots back to leak test anymore honestly. So for 3 of them to have issues is mind blowing. I would love to chat and see if there might be something going on, specific to your environment and/or use. - Matt
BTW since I’m calling you guys out a bit, Matt: I’d also like to say I sincerely appreciate you guys being engaged on here, and sponsoring the forum.

Having used the schnees boots in the mountains, the breaks, packing out animals, snow, all day rain, heat, deadfall, etc - not really getting your comments westrnwild. I mean after extended trips via backpack, I’ve always been impressed with their comfort over a lot of other boots I’ve used. Write your review - but clearly they don’t work for you…..doesn’t make them a bad product, certainly bad for you though. PM them, or call them?

Schnee’s - I get there’s a cutoff on all product lives, membranes etc…..But if you’re rocking the premium mountain boot category, I’d like to see you bring it a bit more than every other boot company out there. If your stuff straight up fails (I’ve only experienced this once with outdry) and it isn’t abused, AND there’s a history there, get on it. This 40% off stuff is certainly a nice gesture, but no one pays $450+ for a pair of boots to last a year. That’s a piss poor experience, regardless of your written policy. I would imagine that policy is one of the reasons they cost so much - that’s totally fine. If I call Sitka, I sure as hell am not getting read the fine print on warranty when stuff fails.
So maybe mine is my experience vs yours. I talked to them before buying. Guy said they fit like salewa and function like scarpa. I can tell you that's not the case. The leather seems a bit soft and definitely creates some issues for as I know it will break down quickly. Might be part of your waterproof issues as well. But it also creates some stability issues IMO. I guess I'm just picky and spoiled. Living in Colorado with some of the biggest Mtns around I take stability seriously. Granted we don't have the moisture of Montana so I never seem to have those issues. I guess I was spoiled with my scarpas and I'm very frustrated that more expensive boots don't have the same quality.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
So maybe mine is my experience vs yours. I talked to them before buying. Guy said they fit like salewa and function like scarpa. I can tell you that's not the case. The leather seems a bit soft and definitely creates some issues for as I know it will break down quickly. Might be part of your waterproof issues as well. But it also creates some stability issues IMO. I guess I'm just picky and spoiled. Living in Colorado with some of the biggest Mtns around I take stability seriously. Granted we don't have the moisture of Montana so I never seem to have those issues. I guess I was spoiled with my scarpas and I'm very frustrated that more expensive boots don't have the same quality.
Yeah they are nothing like a “real” mountain boot from a mountaineering brand, 100% agree with you there. The timberlines are super flexible (which is nice for archery) but beyond archery I prefer a stiffer boot for sure - especially on steep stuff where you’re side hilling. I don’t agree that the leather is low quality (or that it’ll break down quickly), but I’m surprised at the fit comments they gave you - I don’t think they lock to your foot the same as salewa, for example. I think if you had some beartooths at least, the experience might have been a bit more positive.

Good discussion, certainly some takeaways to consider for people on the fence with them.

OP
P

pyrotechnic

Lil-Rokslider
Between the 3 pair I've put a decent amount of miles on them hunting and just tooling around, nothing extreme.
While I've definitely been above treeline in them, the majority of my use has typically been a mix of trails, side-hilling, and cursing my way through dead fall because it would be "shorter".

They've always been comfortable and I've felt like they gave me a good amount of support without being overly stiff for just walking on a trail or hiking through the prairie.

That's mostly why I'm so bummed, because they worked well for pretty much everything I do. I really love the boots, but I do want something that will stay waterproof. And if that is not a realistic ask from these types of membranes then I probably need to look for a cheaper option that I can afford to replace more frequently.

sndmn11

WKR
do want something that will stay waterproof. And if that is not a realistic ask from these types of membranes then I probably need to look for a cheaper option that I can afford to replace more frequently.

We just bought the Timberlines that were on sale for @KickinNDishin because she had wore out her Salomon Quests. I had also gone through some boot ordering this summer and a big thing I was looking for was boots that could be re-soled, and the uppers would be 5 year lifespan or so. I ended up with a free pair of Hang Alverstone Wide (suede and corder) that were free, and Hoffman Explorers. I chose the latter due to price, and they both are very different boots so they serve some different purposes, although each could probably be used for everything.

I almost bought Schnees, and if I hadn't bought either of the above I would have bought some timberlines on their last sale.

A HUGE part of why we got the Timberlines for Cindy was the belief that their guarantee https://schnees.com/our-guarantee/ would carry her into a five year boot should anything go wrong with the upper.

If they genuinely do only have a one year membrane warranty, then it brings up the consideration of a less expensive boot that is expected to be replaced much sooner. Another pair of Salomons or some Innov8 are about $100 right now. If life expectancy for all is a year, then I hope the Schnees we just bought can beat that handily.

OP
P

pyrotechnic

Lil-Rokslider
If I had just experienced leaking with my first set that I bought. I would be looking to buy a new set of timberlines. As almost 5 years of use would be pretty good I think.

If I can only expect the membrane to last <2 years then I'm not going to spend $460 on a boot.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I wouldn’t let this veer anyone away from schnees. I have 2 pairs of bear tooth’s, a pair of granites, pacboots, a set of womens beartooths for my wife, and gotten other family members 3-4 more sets. They are great boots, zero issues with any of those. My original pair of beartooths have 6 seasons on them, easily 500+ miles, probably closer to 800, and they just lost water proofness. Any experience I’ve had with schnees CS has been great.
That being said, I wanted to try the timberlines when they came out, but went in store and did not like them. I’m not saying they are a bad boot, but not for me. OP that experience sucks, but don’t think you can apply it brand wide.
As far as Scarpa/Salewa goes, have pairs of each, love them but never had the water proof last more than 8-10 months on either.
Also, I might have too many boots!

OP
P

pyrotechnic

Lil-Rokslider
I have a set of insulated beartooth 2s that I wear when it gets really cold and I know I'll be I'll alot of sitting. I hope that I'll get quite a few years out of them, and imagine I will.

I don't think I would notice a membrane failure in those boots as snow is usually not melting at the temps I use them.

Like I said though. For what I use the timberlines for (the majority of my boot use) I'm not going to buy another set considering my experience with them. I hope that my experience is not the norm.

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Figured I'd update this.

Wow, theres a lot to unpack in this thread.. guess that's what I get for trying to go hunting for a few days. haha.

I would love to know who you spoke with, as thats not how we typically handle these situations. Either way shoot me an email [email protected].

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Honestly I wouldn't want another pair anything like the timberline's. I got a pair about three weeks ago and they are horrible. Or anything from schnees mtn boots.

I've been doing my normal dog walks on the mountain behind my house here in Colorado and I'm so unimpressed with these boots. First off the tongue of the boot is to thin and the laces cut into your foot. Buy a boot with a better tongue set up. The boot has ankle support but has horrible lateral support down low. It also doesn't do well under load. Been rucking with a 30lb pack to see how they would do. I'd recommend the scarpa kenosis or something along those lines.

Btw I sent them an email saying I'm not happy and they ghosted me. $450 for boots that can't even handle dog walks on a trail. I'll probably write a whole review on how bad these things are eventually. I'm playing with insoles now to see if they help so far they are still a struggle bus. Also the leather on these boots are weak. Already showing signs of wear. So sad cause their pack boots are epic.

No boot out there will work for 100% of peoples feet. This is one reason why we also sell other brands on our store. The Timberline is a mountain boot, for guys that like a lot of flex. I personally recommend the Beartooth for 90% of folks that do any amount of mountain hiking/hunting. The extra stiffness and torsional rigidity are excellent, and would probably be exactly what you're needing based on your use and feedback on the timberline.

Also, what is your email address, when did you email us and what email did you send it too? I would love to look into this.

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Just want to say thank you to everyone participating in this thread. While we aim to have the best boots and customer service in the industry, no body bats a thousand and no company makes a boot that works for everyone/different feet out there. The honest feedback we get on here and from other places help us correct any issues and do better next time! If anyone has any issues or feedback, please feel free to email me and I'll do my best to help you out. - [email protected]