Schnee's Pac Boots?

sr80

WKR
Anyone have any experience with schnees pack boots? They look warm as can be, but i am more wondering how they are to hike in? I usually wear a stiff boot for most my hunting. Can these pac boots handle climbing and side hilling?

Lawnboi

WKR
They are pac boots. Warm when needed. Clunky, heavy, generally not the best support. But when you need them you need them.

I prefer Hoffman pac boots. If your doing any hiking is 0 degrees Fahrenheit or more don’t buy the warmest ones.

Around home I pretty much live in pac boots from December to March. Have a pair of schnees hunter IIs and Hoffman mountaineers

TSAMP

WKR
It must be an out west thing but I struggle to see how for chores and general stuff a typical slip on "rubber boot" isn't less hassle and far more reasonably priced.

I've been considering a pair for years for late season upland hunting here in iowa. Just can't seem to justify it.

Lawnboi

WKR
It must be an out west thing but I struggle to see how for chores and general stuff a typical slip on "rubber boot" isn't less hassle and far more reasonably priced.

I've been considering a pair for years for late season upland hunting here in iowa. Just can't seem to justify it.
I’d buy a slip on pac for chores if Hoffman made one at a reasonable price. I’m not spending 300 bucks on boots that will be covered in crap most the time.

I hate rubber boots. I have a set of mucks that I use for chores but my feet sweat too much in them. Pac boots feel like slippers when it’s negative digits in comparison.

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Anyone have any experience with schnees pack boots? They look warm as can be, but i am more wondering how they are to hike in? I usually wear a stiff boot for most my hunting. Can these pac boots handle climbing and side hilling?

I have a fair amount of time in them... haha.

They aren't going to be as stiff and supportive as a mountain boot, but they aren't bad to hike in really. I spend most of my rifle season in a pair, have for about 8 years now, and im happy with mine. I'll take warm feet over anything when its below freezing out. Side bonus, you can remove the liners and hang them near your wood stove for toasty warm liners in the mornings. - matt

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

Generally the rubber ones don't breathe, which causes moisture build up, especially when you're hiking hard. This in turn causes your feet to get colder, faster. This is much less of a problem in a pac boot or a boot with a removable liner. Our liner is made with a Cambrelle inner layer, which is a wicking fabric and does a great job and transporting moisture outwards, away from your skin. Hope that helps - matt

Tenstrike

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Hunter II and the heavier model as well. My wife and I walk five miles about 4-5 days per week all winter, if it is colder than -20 we skip it. I have several hundred miles on my Hunter II's and will be sending them in for new rubber shortly ($110). Most of our walking is pretty flat but I did wear them on a late season elk hunt in SW Montana a few years ago and they did fine. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another pair.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Yeah what Matt said - I love mine, but they don't sidehill like Beartooths. It's also noticable going uphill in snow (extra flex) but they aren't like hiking in sorels, much better (for me).

Scorpion

WKR
They definitely have a lot more flex in the sole than a traditional mountain boot, but far more support and stability than a heavily insulated rubber boot (if using for chores). Your feet will get more tired if doing a lot of steep hiking. That said, most late season hunts are probably less hiking intensive overall than a September elk hunt.

I haven’t worn mine for western hunts but they work great for me in rifle season in PA when the temperatures or conditions dictate. I do find them ideal for sneaking through the woods if raining or snowy while keeping my feet very warm.

One minor issue that I had is sizing, since there are no half sizes. I have to wear thick socks in the larger pair if I’ll be doing much walking to prevent slippage. The smaller pair is nice with a lighter sock and I’ll be hiking a lot.

I have the Hunter II in Buffalo hide. Would definitely recommend them.

I wear a pair for deer hunting when very cold out, I am a sit down and hunt from before daylight until last shooting light deer hunter, feet stay comfortable, bit bulky but that is to be expected for a pac boot. Dont think i would want to hike very far in them. But with that being said I could if needed. For me they rate as a good boot, if you get a pair and will be in cold weather I suggest getting the extra in sole liner, and a second pair of boot liners, that way you can switch out from day to day for longer trips.

Whisky

WKR
What length do most prefer, and why? I know it's a give and take between weight, support and snow protection. How do gaiters work over a 10-13" pac?

76chevy

FNG
how is the sizing? I wear 12 in tennis shoes but 13 in winter boots for thick socks. I ordered 13s and hope they aren't huge

Coldtrail

WKR
I use the 13" hunter II's with wool pants tucked in and no gaiter for prob 20 years and on my second pair for the past 5yrs or so. They are not bad to hike in, I go with a thinner sock and put an insole in my liner. The good thing is that they take a beating in the woods....not sure about at a job site? I use mine following hounds in pretty rough and wet terrain daily in the winter with good results, I like being able to pull liners out to dry and or replace with dry ones in the field. The bad is that I found that I get about 2 seasons between resoles due to the rubber bottoms cracking at the flex points, at $110 a resole and the up front price of the boots you will be spending some serious $$ for just "pac boots" over the course of several years but if you need your boots daily and routinely get them wet there really is not any alternative to a decent Pac boot. Never had any other issue with them other than a resole, but you need to keep the leather treated.

76chevy

FNG
Please post how you like this sizing. I'm in the same boat. I'm guessing I should order 13s with heavy socks as well.

I bought the 13 and they are too narrow in toe box and NO wide option exists, I wear a 12D medium width in nike, asics, merrel, crispi summti GTX, danner and every other shoe and boot I own

Quality is top notch but they are not for me, $25 to ship them back too. Costly mistake

xcutter

WKR
I bought the 13 and they are too narrow in toe box and NO wide option exists, I wear a 12D medium width in nike, asics, merrel, crispi summti GTX, danner and every other shoe and boot I own

Quality is top notch but they are not for me, $25 to ship them back too. Costly mistake
Thank you for the update.

I've worn schnees pac boots for years. Mostly for ranch work and I used to wear them for hunting. I switched to schnee's/kenetrek mountain boot for hunting and I really like this option. I've got some old 13" hunter pacs and the outfitter pull-ons. The hunter pacs have decent traction for hunting. The outfitter pull-ons don't have as good of traction but they don't track in mud and snow as much. I really like the outfitter pull-ons for horseback riding.