Scentless muzzy lube?

Does anyone have a rec for a muzzleloader lube/oil that doesn’t have a strong smell? I’ve been using bore butter and checked out a few others in the store but all have an overwhelming minty smell. It’s an odd trend for a hunting related product.

OP
Shō[t]gun
Are you lubing your rifle or your bullets?
Lubing the rifle bore (tc triumph) after cleaning for rust prevention. Not sure if it’s just me but it seems to clean up easier between groups of shots now that I’ve used it for a while. Been putting it on the breech plug threads to keep it lubed up too. Its got a pretty loose bore at .501 so I never had the need to lube bullets in this gun.

I don’t lube the bores of my muzzies. I usually run a patch with Hornady One Shot through after cleaning. It is superior to nearly all other similar products in some of the testing Ive seen. Most guys have moved away from Bore Butter and other similar products. They tend to smell (as you note), don’t really work as intended and often gum up the bore. Another option might be some light oil.

Last edited:
Here’s one of the corrosion prevention tests that prompted me to use One Shot:

Maverick1

WKR
I have used Super Lube synthetic grease on the breech plug for quite awhile. Use dawn dish soap and rubbing alcohol to clean the barrel. And CRP break free or rem oil on the barrel, but those have a stronger scent to them.

cnelk

WKR
Ive been using anti-seize on the breech plug threads, and alternating Windex and carb cleaner on a swab to clean the barrel, along with
light oil to finish

Not worried about smell

OP
Shō[t]gun
Birchwood Casey Barricade
That’s what I use on everything else so this is probably what I’ll do.
I remembered something about the waxier muzzy lubes being better for preventing black powder carbon buildup/corrosion at the breech side but it appears that’s not an issue at all based on the responses here. I’ll just ditch the muzzy stuff altogether.

Thanks for the responses.