Scammers/Hackers

There has been a recent increase in scammers hacking accounts and trying to sell item from WTB posts by members. I was hacked on this site and one more with different passwords and two buyers figured it out luckily figured out the scam and both texted me on another site, one member here was not that lucky. They looked at my history of 20 plus years on the site and great trader references. Both of the guys on the other site, felt something was off and texted me and they did not send the money. There is a Jamaican scam ring out of Florida that are working gun related sites. They send photos of very good IDs that they stole the photo from some place else, often the item is priced just under market to really tempt you and often a video of the item from someone else but no one in the picture.
Any WTB'er especially should watch out for this and take extra caution. Always do a video chat with the seller in the picture and have them hold up the item. Sometimes the scammers say they are hearing damaged and cannot do that. Red flag. They seem to mostly like to use zella. Take care and upgrade your passwords. I also posted my area code prefix with my visible profile you can look at that and compare to what area code is calling you or wanting you to call. I am 71 retired and not moving or changing numbers!!

Last edited:

Bwhitey

Lil-Rokslider
Found one just now. Username is AntiqueOs. Who is the admin so I can share?

Attachments

• IMG_7631.png
    IMG_7631.png
    183.3 KB · Views: 38

Bwhitey

Lil-Rokslider
Found another scammer here. Reported him. He also hacked someone’s 24h account used it as a reference and messaged me back. I let admin know. He also has an account on theoutdoorstrader. Username Rickymontagne.

Does anyone in here have an account on that site and could help report him?

I need a legitimate person to sell me a scope?? 0/3 so far. Thanks guys.

Attachments

• IMG_7661.png
    IMG_7661.png
    258.5 KB · Views: 21

fwafwow

WKR
Found another scammer here. Reported him. He also hacked someone’s 24h account used it as a reference and messaged me back. I let admin know. He also has an account on theoutdoorstrader. Username Rickymontagne.

Does anyone in here have an account on that site and could help report him?

I need a legitimate person to sell me a scope?? 0/3 so far. Thanks guys.
I’m on outdoorstrader. I looked that name up and it might be another example of a hacked account.

Loo.wii

WKR
Generally best practices that everyone here should follow;
- complex unique password, The internet is full of password lists that an attack could use to brute force your account, youd be supprised how many times ive guess the password to a critical system using one of these lists. I recommend using a unique 10-17 character passwords with special keys for every single site.
its trivial to search a site like dehashed for a targets email and get their password(s)

- when i am in talks with someone here and im buying something that costs more than $100 i like to have them write out a timestamped note with their user name and date, i also request that the image also include a piece of certified mail that they received along with the item on sale.

That being said with a $10 sub to chat gpt you can make AI spit any number of fake images out at you. which scammers use all the time to gain unauthorized access or authenticate themselves as someone they are not. At my day job we are already seeing scammers use AI to create false identities and mask their voices.

you will always be your first and last line of defense against these types of attacks so if it doesn't pass the smell test RUN!

Source: I hack companies for a living.

fwafwow

WKR
- complex unique password, The internet is full of password lists that an attack could use to brute force your account, youd be supprised how many times ive guess the password to a critical system using one of these lists. I recommend using a unique 10-17 character passwords with special keys for every single site.
its trivial to search a site like dehashed for a targets email and get their password(s)

- when i am in talks with someone here and im buying something that costs more than $100 i like to have them write out a timestamped note with their user name and date, i also request that the image also include a piece of certified mail that they received along with the item on sale.

That being said with a $10 sub to chat gpt you can make AI spit any number of fake images out at you. which scammers use all the time to gain unauthorized access or authenticate themselves as someone they are not. At my day job we are already seeing scammers use AI to create false identities and mask their voices.

you will always be your first and last line of defense against these types of attacks so if it doesn't pass the smell test RUN!

Great suggestions. One challenge - who gets certified mail anymore? Plus, at least for me, I'm not giving anyone on here my name until the deal is agreed upon, and that's whether I'm the buyer or the seller.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Great suggestions. One challenge - who gets certified mail anymore? Plus, at least for me, I'm not giving anyone on here my name until the deal is agreed upon, and that's whether I'm the buyer or the seller.

Who gets mail anymore anyways. The only thing that comes in my mailbox is junk and property appraisal increase notices.

CorbLand

WKR

The username or anything written on any piece of paper is really easy to photoshop and not really an effective way anymore.

Only "guarantee" anymore is facetime and/or phone calls but I am not giving my number out for small value items.

Loo.wii

WKR
The username or anything written on any piece of paper is really easy to photoshop and not really an effective way anymore.

Only "guarantee" anymore is facetime and/or phone calls but I am not giving my number out for small value items.
In that case I suggest creating a google voice account and number.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
In that case I suggest creating a google voice account and number.

I'm not bagging on you bud. BUT. Sometimes if the buyer is just too high maintenance its easier to just not do the deal. I get that your job makes you see some of the worst case scenarios on the daily.

Loo.wii

WKR
I'm not bagging on you bud. BUT. Sometimes if the buyer is just too high maintenance its easier to just not do the deal. I get that your job makes you see some of the worst case scenarios on the daily.
Totally understandable. I only go through all those steps in particular situations