SC bear hunters?

OP
Old-Cat

Old-Cat

Lil-Rokslider
If so, they've sure kept it quiet to thus point, but the regs publication most folks see doesn't come out til August.
It’s current per this officer. I’m not so sure it’s commonly enforced. How often are they roaming around the top of hillside and the bottom of hollows?

OP
Old-Cat

Old-Cat

Lil-Rokslider
Screenshot_20240621_190621_Chrome.jpeg
This is what he just sent me. Abandoned equipment is how it’s treated. Specific exemptions are made for deer stands for the season, but they don’t have specific exemptions.

OP
Old-Cat

Old-Cat

Lil-Rokslider
Hmmm - not sure if leaving for a day is abandoning it?
Idk.

All I can tell you is on the mountains behind my house they’re coming down.

And when I see them in other spots I’m gonna tell him where they are. They were everywhere this year, from the horse pasture to Oconee County and in the National Forest, they legit covered the mountains.

Public land is a strange dilemma. Why do you get to place your camera on a ridge top or a saddle, and I don’t? We both pay taxes don’t we? Can you just go place cameras all over and it’s first come first serve, you get control of the mountain for the rest of your days?

I’m glad DNR doesn’t allow it. What a cluster it would be!! I don’t think it was much of an issue prior to the Cellular cameras. Batteries ran out cards got full etc., cell cameras change everything. It effectively allows a person to lockdown any mountain they want.

Last edited:

KenLee

WKR
View attachment 727190
This is what he just sent me. Abandoned equipment is how it’s treated. Specific exemptions are made for deer stands for the season, but they don’t have specific exemptions.
If cell cameras are illegal, it hasn't been enforced. I know folks running a dozen each.
I haven't had enough time the last 2 seasons to hunt enough on private I have, so haven't touched GMA lately.

OP
Old-Cat

Old-Cat

Lil-Rokslider
If cell cameras are illegal, it hasn't been enforced. I know folks running a dozen each.
I haven't had enough time the last 2 seasons to hunt enough on private I have, so haven't touched GMA lately.
I don’t know. Like I said, I suspect it has to do with just going out and finding them. I would think most DNR officers would consider that a waste of time.

Now, if they have a friend that’s puts in 70 plus miles during bear season alone, and he runs into a ton of them, that’s a different ballgame;” point the way” , yes sir.

OP
Old-Cat

Old-Cat

Lil-Rokslider
Probably close to never unless they have suspicion of wrongdoing
The miles I put in during bear season, late deer and turkey are freakish. I lost count of how many cameras I found this year; I’ve never seen anything like it. I marked every one of those babies on OnX btw. Like I said, suspect it has to do with the cell camera set up now. People don’t have to work like they once did, trudge up one time and eat Cheetos on your couch for the rest of the year..

FLS

WKR
I’d like to see them go away completely on public. You can’t have them out at all on the NWRs.

OP
Old-Cat

Old-Cat

Lil-Rokslider
Tiss the season, well close to it. Sadly, I’m gonna have to live vicariously through y'all this year. I may get a change to hunt the single Saturday this year, that’s if I’m lucky; work is gonna be crazy right as season is opening.

I’m pretty disappointed. I don’t think I’ve missed a season in tens or more years. It’s not a complete loss however, the plan is to hunt GA at a minimum and possibly NC in Dec.

I suspect I’ll wantonly post in this thread anyway

Best of luck!

wyldman

FNG
I'll have to miss the GA season this year due to a new one on the way and getting prepared for that.