SC bear hunters?

Bernie

FNG
Do you hunt private land or WMA? I'd like to find some private land to bear hunt so I can also hunt deer with a rifle during the bear season. I've seen some big deer while I've been bear hunting and bc I don't have my bow I have to let them walk.

Swamp Fox

WKR
Go Tigers!
OIP.GXEjRbjWxw9EKRJskm5A1gAAAA

fwafwow

WKR
Yeah. My post was done when remembering better times.

Here’s what I sent yesterday to my family as a summary of the post-game Dabo interview:

1696817967157.jpeg

KenLee

WKR
KenLee where exactly in lower Spartanburg county are you seeing 10 bear per year? Spartanburg county has a bear season and I live in Spartanburg county and I’d love to bear hunt here. For the past 17 years I’ve been driving all the way to Pickens and Oconee counties to bear hunt.
Yes sir I actually found this out 2 werks ago. Guess I'd never noticed before, as I'd never seen a bear here until 18 months ago. I think I read there were only 20 bear kills allowed for the area.
Of course now that I know there's a season here, I haven't seen a bear in 2 months.
I hunt in Pauline/Glenn Springs/Caanan/ Stone Station.

My pops is hoping to get one this week, been trying for a few years now. There are quite a few on the club land that he hunts. Can't seem to get the meeting arranged though.

OP
Old-Cat

Old-Cat

Lil-Rokslider
It’s been rough going so far this year. 40+ miles and zero fresh sign. The best I’ve found is week old scat, and I found that today. Haha

I’ll say this, there are people all over game zone 1 that are not from here. I was on the foothills trail camping yesterday, I saw 15 people, none of whom were from the upstate; 15 people during the work week! Wow!

I’m off to a new spot tomorrow.

Swamp Fox

WKR
It’s been rough going so far this year. 40+ miles and zero fresh sign. The best I’ve found is week old scat, and I found that today. Haha

I’ll say this, there are people all over game zone 1 that are not from here. I was on the foothills trail camping yesterday, I saw 15 people, none of whom were from the upstate; 15 people during the work week! Wow!

Word's leaking out somehow ...

OP
Old-Cat

Old-Cat

Lil-Rokslider
Word's leaking out somehow ...
The state gov is advertising all over the nation, and people are flooding in.

Every hiker I saw, save three young boys from Columbia, were out of staters. One man planned his trip for six months??? What kinda of voodoo marketing get a fellow to plan hiking the upstate state of SC six months out?? I want to hire that team.

Jim828

FNG
Instead of marketing SC, they need to spend the money on gates at the state line! We’ve got enough people now.

OP
Old-Cat

Old-Cat

Lil-Rokslider
Crap boys. 47 miles and week old scat is all I have to show for my effort. 😂😂😂. It’s been so bad all one can do is laugh.

I’m not giving up however, I still have Monday left for regular season.

I do have dog week but would be hard to justify taking more days off work with no prospects in view- Thanks again @Jim828 for that tip. I can use those privileges next Saturday at a minimum.

Swamp Fox

WKR
Okay ... So it's settled: Few bears in SC.

I would direct everyone to Pennsylvania .... ; )

Bernie

FNG

A bear hunter I met yesterday told me he overheard "we treed nine bear last night" from an adjacent table at breakfast on opening day. People are running dogs at night and chasing bear out of areas we still-hunters can reach. They use the excuse that they're coon hunting and the game warden can't stop them from running bear unless he sees the bear being treed and that's impossible to see. Please write your SC legislators to make it illegal to run dogs for any reason on WMA land other than during the dog bear season otherwise a few jerks are making it hard fo us to see and kill any bear.