Sawtooth 45 or the Pop up 28

Lochtsa71

Lil-Rokslider
I've been struggling with this decision for about a week and I just can't make up my mind. Granted, I don't need another dayback but I want one and I've convinced the wife that it's necessary. If you need tips on how to convince the significant other that you need another, let me know I've got 20 years of experience and I have finally figured it out.

My needs:
1. Has to be able to carry at least a hind elk quarter comfortably.
2. I hunt steep country (Idaho) and need to be nimble walking through timber.
3. Empty weight less then or equal to 5 lbs.
I mostly day hunt, but I do stretch it to 2-3 days if I have the time.
4. I need the pack to stick to my body and move with me.
5. I never take my pack off when I hunt unless I'm eating. In other words, I need to be able to have the ability to go full draw wearing the pack.
6. The main game I hunt is elk, deer, bear, and turkey. However, I occassionay will go hound hunting for cougar.

I'm still considering exo and initial accent, but my focus is on more of day back that can haul an elk quarter. More specifically, the Sawtooth 45 and Pop up 28.

Thanks

BluMtn

WKR
The 28 has the ability to remain compact until you need to haul with it. I have one and have not used it to haul anything with it yet. I like the storage capabilities of the pack.

Trial153

WKR
The 28 checks all the boxes except as 3 day pack. To that you will have to add dry bag between the frame a pack. Even still you can add one without the frame "popped " up and it will still be nimble.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on managing the wife so well.

I am a bit of an MR fanboy so will limit my comments to their line but I assume the same applies for other similar packs from other brands. I run a pack whitetail Bowhunting hunting with portable blind material for ground ambush. Almost exclusively a day pack but I need it to haul a quartered deer on occasion. Here are some thoughts based on my experience.

- MR pop up 28 - excellent day pack. Fairly capable hauler. Small bag. By mid season when I am packing layers it fills up quick. $$
- MR pintler - great size. Heavier frame. Hauls better but weighs and costs more. $$$
- MR sawtooth - same as a pnitler in most respects. Newer / slightly better frame and more pockets. $$$
- MR crewcab / cabinet / mule - these are the true convertibles. Cheaper than the pintler. Very strappy. Can be a pain to load and rig up. $$

If I wanted a pack that could be a mobile hunting day pack and haul meat, the pop up 28 has a lot going for it. If I wanted something to pull dual duty as a long haul pack for backpack hunting I would look to the pintler or sawtooth.

I have hauled 70# in my pop up - quartered deer and gear. It did it but it wasn’t as pleasant as a a full size, full frame pack. For me the decision turns on what role you want the pack to play best. What you give up for the pop up 28 - back size and hauling stability - is offset by lighter and more compact bag in daypack mode. However, although it hauls well it isn’t a freighter like the small bag / full size frame packs - mule, pintler, sawtooth - and if you haul a big load too far, you may wish you had the full size frame.

Dvidos

Lil-Rokslider
The 28 has the ability to remain compact until you need to haul with it. I have one and have not used it to haul anything with it yet. I like the storage capabilities of the pack.
+1
BB.jpg

Bcaulder

WKR
I have the 18 and the Sawtooth and from what you described the Sawtooth makes more sense to me than the 28. It is ultra mobile while still big enough to put some gear in it. I also think that if your hiking with a elk quarter in the shelf, the frame will shine over the 28.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the sawtooth and my son has the popup. The popup fits really good on his back and is a great comfortable day pack. However, the bag is really small and gear is limited. There is no real good way to strap a gun or bow to it either. I love my sawtooth but it is a lot bulkier than the popup.

Trial153

WKR
I added a pair of straps to my pop up 18 for strapping my bow to. Really easy to do and works well.
Packed out an elk last bow season and it worked very well. Like was stated above it isnt a freighter like some other full, comparing it to my pintler, Metcalf on the guide lite frame and to Kifaru my frame however it's substantially more nimble as well. Everything is a trade off.
For me hunting from base camp, day hunts the pop up has good nitch. I use the the 18 as tend to carry the bare minimum however inthink the 28 will work better for most people.
ffba292bb0fe8a587c5b4a725ad9e59b.jpg

OP
L

Lochtsa71

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate the input.
I pulled the trigger and ordered the Sawtooth 45 and I'm excited to use it in October.

EmperorMA

WKR
Great choice. I studied and tried on both during a couple of visits to Bozeman this summer. After bringing my September/October kit the first time vs my Winter kit the second time, the choice of the Sawtooth was easy.

I considered both the 28 and the sawtooth. I went with the Sawtooth. I figured the less moving parts the better for me. The 28 did have some attractive qualities.

adamjp

FNG
I've been puzzling this myself. I keep coming back to the Sawtooth for layering, spotting scopes and the possibility of using it as a lightweight overnight pack.

OP
L

Lochtsa71

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats.
Share your impressions soon as you to take it out.
Ledanek.
My first impressions using it for 4 days archery hunting elk were good. I did add two belt pouches for easy access to my gps and mouth calls. Once fitted properly, it felt great with 18 pounds of gear for my all-day hunts. Had no problem with space for food, kill kit, first aid kit, headlamp, diaphram calls, pack bugle, poles, quarter bag, knives, batteries, spare jacket, gps and water.
Didn't haul any meat, but I'm sure at will handle at least 60lbs very easily.
Overall, I'm happy with my choice. The only thing I need to get used to is the belt. I wish it was another inch longer to bring the pouches closer in reach.

Ledanek

Lil-Rokslider
Ledanek.
My first impressions using it for 4 days archery hunting elk were good. I did add two belt pouches for easy access to my gps and mouth calls. Once fitted properly, it felt great with 18 pounds of gear for my all-day hunts. Had no problem with space for food, kill kit, first aid kit, headlamp, diaphram calls, pack bugle, poles, quarter bag, knives, batteries, spare jacket, gps and water.
Didn't haul any meat, but I'm sure at will handle at least 60lbs very easily.
Overall, I'm happy with my choice. The only thing I need to get used to is the belt. I wish it was another inch longer to bring the pouches closer in reach.
Thanks for the feedback

5BtoSB

FNG
I just got back from 9 days of hunting with the Sawtooth 45 and loved it. I've used the Pop up 28 in the past and liked it but the Sawtooth performed comfortably throughout the whole hunt. Really happy with the pack. enjoy!

adamjp

FNG
I just got back from 9 days of hunting with the Sawtooth 45 and loved it. I've used the Pop up 28 in the past and liked it but the Sawtooth performed comfortably throughout the whole hunt. Really happy with the pack. enjoy!
What would you say were the advantages of the Sawtooth over the Pop-Up?