Savage Model 11 Rebarrel

TxLite

WKR
I’ve got a Savage model 11 Hog Hunter in 308 that has been sitting for years and I think I’d like to rebarrel it to 16-18” 204 Ruger. I’ve done a few barrel swaps on Tikka but haven’t done a barrel nut style swap before. I understand the barrel nut process though for setting headspace.

Will any barrel cut for a Savage thread into the model 11 action? Is there anything else I need to be aware of or look out for?

Screenshot 2022-10-11 at 8.49.38 AM.png

03mossy

WKR
The only thing you’ll have to look for is large or small shank barrel. You’re going to need a small shank barrel for your hog hunter. The large shank actions are the WSM cartridges and some of the older varmint models.

OP
TxLite

TxLite

WKR
The only thing you’ll have to look for is large or small shank barrel. You’re going to need a small shank barrel for your hog hunter. The large shank actions are the WSM cartridges and some of the older varmint models.
Perfect. I was figuring it was small shank but wasn’t sure

bbell

WKR
I just rebarreled my model 10. I would recommend getting a barrel nut from your barrel manufacture as well. Then when you are taking the old one off you don’t have to sweat messing it up. Throw on a pipe wrench and give it a few whacks and it should come off. Once I got the barrel off it only took about 20-30 minutes to get the other out on.

IMG_9560.jpeg

03mossy

WKR
That’s good advice too! Junk the factory nut and order a precision nut from whoever you get your barrel from.

I agree with getting a new nut. It looks like you have the smooth nut on your current gun. Rather than purchase the correct tool to remove that, you can just use a pipe wrench to get the old one off. Then get a PVA or Bugholes barrel nut that has flats on it so you can just get the appropriate open ended wrench head to put on your torque wrench.
You may have to open up the barrel nut area of your stock, but it is worth it.

RWT

Lil-Rokslider
Northland shooting supply - shameless plug. Shilen select match 223. My first rebarrel job. Shot it today 1.40” over all 10 shot group. 5-10 mph wind with 90% humidity. Federal premium 77 OTM. Also order a new barrel lug. My factory lug was bent.

OP
TxLite

TxLite

WKR
Rather than purchase the correct tool to remove that, you can just use a pipe wrench to get the old one off. Then get a PVA or Bugholes barrel nut that has flats on it so you can just get the appropriate open ended wrench head to put on your torque wrench.
Throw on a pipe wrench and give it a few whacks and it should come off.
I appreciate the tip. Thanks!

You will need a 223 bolt head. Midway has factory savage <$25 and PTG for $100
Good point. I’ll check out the bolt heads