Savage model 10?

SippyCup

FNG
New to rokslide and new to upgrading rifles. A new found appreciation for long range shooting has me interested doing some work to my savage model 10. It’s currently chambered in .243 but I’m thinking of changing the barrel to a 6.5cm, 270wsm or .308. Then potentially upgrading the wooden stock.
The big question: is it worth doing all this to a savage action?
Others are: what other short action calibers should I consider? Looking for something I don’t reload
If I get the right feedback, what are some prefit barrels to consider for this project?

NickT406

FNG
Classified Approved
I had your same questions a year ago. I had a savage model 110 6.5 prc and was intrigued with the 6.8 western round since I don't reload. I ordered a carbon six barrel chambered in 6.8 western and upgraded to a bell and Carlson stock. Also changed out the bolt handle and knob. The gun was super accurate and the barrel was very easy to install.
The action just never did cut it for me after the build was done. Always had feeding issues and found the bolt getting hung up unless I cycled slow and smooth. (Not ideal for hunting)
If I was to spend the money again I would go with a Tikka action and pay a Smith to install the barrel or go with a remage build.
They also make a remage style barrel for bergara now.

Tobe_B

Lil-Rokslider
I was in the same position recently. I have a .300WSM Savage Model 12 that shot great, but I was having a hard time finding the ammo I wanted. I tried selling it and didn't really get much interest. Decided instead to just spend the money on upgrades making it into something I liked more. I ordered an Xcaliber 6.5 PRC barrel and found an XLR Envy Pro that fit the action. I'm looking forward to getting it all put together and trying it out. I'll eventually get my suppressor approved and add that to the whole project.

I know there are better actions out there than a savage, but its pretty easy to just swap the parts out and have a rifle chambered in something I can find ammo for. I'm even thinking about picking up a spare bolt with a standard face, so that in the future I could just change the barrel out to a different caliber if ammo gets hard to find for the PRC.

Titan_Bow

WKR
Always seems to be disdain for Savages on this forum LOL. I’ve owned a handful of Savage rifles and the only one that ever gave me any issues and didn’t shoot absolutely lights out was my 6.5cm Lightweight Hunter. Problem ended up being in the original non-accustock Tupperware stock. I put it in a Bell and Carlson stock and it now shoots tiny little groups. I’ve currently also got a 270 WSM model 16 that also shoots sub MOA consistently. I’ve been thinking of refreshing my 270 as well. I want to put it in a folding stock chassis and rebarrel it in something new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OdinIII

Lil-Rokslider
I like all of my model 10’s and have never had any feeding problems but honestly have fed thousands more rounds single shot than from the mag.

I feel that you’re asking too personal of a question. It’s usually cheaper to buy what you want instead of “upgrading” but rarely can you get exactly what you want without “upgrading”. You just have to follow your heart. There is no right answer.

280Ackley

WKR
Both of my custom rifles in 280AI and 338 Norma are on Savage actions. I have no regrets at all. They both function without issues and are perfect for me. I know there are actions with better finishes and such but for what I use them for they are great. I am also a fan of the accu-trigger!

KenLee

WKR
Y'all out there swapping barrels out from some of my favorite chamberings. 243, 300wsm, 270wsm.
I actually like the camo stocked cheap Apex line of 110s with the adjustable LOP and comb height. It surprised me. Bought it intending to give it to my brother and decided to keep it.