Savage 116 - .30-06

Once I had the barrel floated how I wanted it, I worked on the tang... this is VERY important for savage accuracy.
Remington 700s have the back action screw on the outside (back) of the trigger guard and can have them tight to the stock...
but with savages, the rear action screw is in the FRONT of the trigger guard and if the tang is pressed against the stock, it can torque the action and impact accuracy. So this step was a series of attaching the action, and checking fit, using a metal file to remove any touching material until I was happy with the float:

20150429_025118334_iOS_zpshqpeflvn.jpg
[/URL]
temporary_zpsc1f5987e.jpg
[/URL]

That is pretty much it... All in all I spent about 4-5 hours working on it, but this was the first time I have ever done any stock work, so I was learning as I went. I am quite happy with the result and I believe it can outshoot me... have been able to get sub moa without a whole lot of effort and believe I will get better with time:)

It wasn't as hard as maybe I made it sound... I'm handy but not gifted at working on things if that makes sense:)

Any questions feel free to ask. Hope this all made sense:)

Last edited:
OP
P

ppreston

FNG
That is pretty much it... All in all I spent about 4-5 hours working on it, but this was the first time I have ever done any stock work, so I was learning as I went. I am quite happy with the result and I believe it can outshoot me... have been able to get sub moa without a whole lot of effort and believe I will get better with time:)

It wasn't as hard as maybe I made it sound... I'm handy but not gifted at working on things if that makes sense:)

Any questions feel free to ask. Hope this all made sense:)

Thanks for posting the detailed steps with accompanying pics. This was very helpful in getting me to wrap my head around what is involved in fitting an aftermarket stock.

I have to say, for it being your first time, you did a great job!

Note - Not sure what I was thinking when I posted that I had a blind magazine, as my 116 has a hinged floor plate.

Now I just need to decide on what route I want to go:
-Keep as is and focus on other needed gear for now and then look into buying a purpose built lightweight setup
-Retain VX-II 3-9x40 and upgrade to B&C stock
-Retain original Savage classic stock and upgrade scope (either 2-10x50 or 3-15x50)
-Go with McMillan Classic w/ Edge Tech and upgraded scope (Edge Tech stock would help offset moving to a 3-15x50 scope)

Thanks again,

Paul

lcxctf2000

Lil-Rokslider
If you are seriously considering the upgraded scope option Midway USA has a nice sale going on Leupold VXIII 4.5-14x40mm CDS and 3.5-10x40mm CDS right now.

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?sortby=1&itemsperpage=20&dimensionids=4294846276&dimensionids=4294846723&newcategorydimensionid=11493

I called Leupold to see what they changed 2014 to 2015 on these - just the reticle - went from duplex to windplex.

They also have the Wheeler scope mounting tools - alignment and lapping bars as well as reticle leveling systems - on sale right now too.

Nice way to get some good lightweight glass on the gun if that's the route you want to go.

Me, if I had your gun I'd hunt it as is and spend money elsewhere. Nothing is broken, it shoots, weight is reasonable and it's paid for.

I got one of the VXIII's coming b/c my .308 has a VXIII 1.75-6 on it right now for WI whitetail hunting needs. Other than that running a stock Savage like you and it's going to be great!

Yea good advice... decisions decisions :)

My $.02 are that if you have decent optics (binos, spotting scope if you use one), in theory you won't be looking through the scope as much... I personally don't like a higher the 10 power because I don't want to deal with parallax in the field and I don't shoot past 5-600 yards anyway. I have used pro-staffs for years and they always held zero and hit what I aimed at... if a scope holds zero the glass is a bonus that I put that money towards my zeiss binos...

The stock savage stock will win the weight game between it and the B&C hands down... plus you are shooting a LA with the 30-06... so weight will be higher from the get go. So if weight is your game, I guess I would wait and build a low weight setup from the get go.

Now for what you have, it will defiantly work, and work well as is... if you want to upgrade, I like the stock because I hold the dang thing for the whole trip and look at it :) Scope would be second as I don't use it as much...

That is strictly me $.02... and is how I did it.

Have fun, shoot lots, and have a great hunt!