Savage 110 Ultralight Caliber suggestion

The 270/6.8 is pretty much right in the middle of the most common calibers in the US. (.223 to .375). It seems to be available in most places, you said you already load for it. Is the carbon barrel worth the cost? What would a thinner profile metal barrel cost vs carbon? If it is a hunting rifle that will not be shot as much at a matches then a thinner profile barrel should not be an issue. If you do want to have a longer range day with it, cool it off well between strings.

What about in a 270? It has the 22" barrel as well and I already do some reloading with it for my son's rifle so I would already be set up for it. Can I get good accuracy out of it at the longer ranges as well as the energy needed

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
270 will kill anything. I think you just answered your own question.

49ereric

WKR
My savage 06 lost an extractor once.
gunsmith smiled and said hand loading.
full compressed load of imr 4350 Sierra PH 150’s.

Lou270

Lil-Rokslider
I would lean toward the 270 or 6.5 prc. Both about perfect. I would somewhat prefer the premium 150s available in the 270 for bigger game and the higher bc stuff for longest ranges in 6.5 prc but in end probably wouldnt see a diff.

Lou

I have one in 6.5 prc shoots in the .4-.5 range out to 800 pretty easily without much load work. I enjoy the light recoil suppressed and accuracy for a hunting rifle. currently I am shooting the 143s with 56.5gr rl 26 at around 3030fps in lapua brass and have been fairly impressed with the setup. Mine with 10 rounds of ammo on the gun and suppressor scope bipod and sling came in right at 9.01 lbs. shooting suppressed I would only change barrel length probably go with an 18” and shoot 2880-2900 fps. 46A9E1B3-79F4-42FF-944A-F81A7CBF9D2E.jpeg

Mjmaida

FNG
Honestly any round with a diameter above a .277 will do you the trick in knocking down an elk and any game within that region. They will also be plenty accurate enough to reach distances of 500-600 yards and cause extensive damage provided you are using a high quality optic for shot placement. I just got myself a 6.8 western because the round imo is very groundbreaking in terms of energy down range. Equivalent if not better than a 300 win mag assuming ratios are equal. Meaning grain weight to foot pound energy. Also with a heck of a lot less felt recoil. I know ammo is scarce as far as availability and brand but I didn’t care about those things and stocked up and if need be I’ll reload. Also just about as hard to find as the people recommending 300 WSM. Other common rounds I love would be 30-06 (tried and true). The 300 PRC if you don’t care how big your round goes will kill anything in the world with good shot placement.