Satellite phone experiences

WTNUT

Lil-Rokslider
I am going to be in Alaska the month for a month this year and am considering a Sat Phone as a means to periodically check in with wife and daughter. If you have an experience please share the pros and cons. From what I can see the only type with service at the tip of the Alaska Peninsula is an Iridium. I would want a model that can be recharged with a solar charger/power bank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

yfarm

WKR
Garmin Inreach, smaller, less expensive, allows 2 way communication via texts, can integrate with iphone. Uses Iridium network,allows tracking of your location if you are so inclined. What have I left out?

OP
W

WTNUT

Lil-Rokslider
You know after reading more about the phones I believe you are right.

OP
W

WTNUT

Lil-Rokslider
Now the Inreach or the mini 2 hmm

Phone gives you the ability to accomplish 15mins of texting in 2 minutes. But you gonna pay for it. How bad do you want to hear the voice on the other end of the line? You can also text from the Sat phone, but it's takes you back in time to doing it on a flip phone. Pluses and minuses to both.

If you are just looking at a text communicator, there is also Zoleo. They all offer different plan options.

Montucky

WKR
My brother & I rented a sat phone for our moose drop hunt. The company was in Anchorage & our phone was delivered to the front desk of our motel & we got it when we checked in. Phone worked awesome in the field, technology has advanced alot & there was no delay in conversation with the wives. We used my inreach mini most of the trip but in the Bush for 14days was nice to have conversation with the family. Don’t remember how much $ the rental was but it was priceless for backup communication

Beendare

WKR
I have rented phones from Sat Phone store and currently use the Zoleo. I prefer Zoleo as i can pause as needed and total cost per yr is very little.

The sat phones work good but check it when you get it. Some rentals have been beat up. One I got had a loose connection to the antenna and would cut out….I tested it in time to get a replacement before a drop camp moose hunt.

About the only trick to sat phones is they have a directional antenna, don’t move and twist around once you have a good signal.