San Juan / Elk Ridge Questions

Ursus

FNG
With the new management plans I decided to gamble that this would be an excellent year to draw the SJER bow tag. I have 22 points and the weather here is the usual Spring Psychotic of hypothermia one day and heat stroke the next so it’sa good time to research.
My first question is about elevation and where these elk like to spend their late Augusts and Septembers. My natural inclination is 9,000 feet to the highest peak. However, I watched a YouTube video where they were stalking a bull and the wind turbines were right behind the Bull on camera. I realize that elk can be anywhere they want but do you typically find them that low on this unit in September?
Second question: while doing the eScouting and using the distance measuring tool on GoogleEarth it seems that there are rare few spots more than a mile from a road or ATV trail. While I realize that elevation gain can be the same as distance when it comes to getting away from people is it worth it to spike/bivvy camp on this unit?

OP
U

Ursus

FNG
Not against it at all, economically challenged however.

If I had that tag I would hire a guide even if it means borrowing money to do it. You've waited 22 years for a tag, the season dates are not that great for archery and statistically you'll likely never have the tag again.

The outfitters will have every big bull on the unit scouted heavily and have decades of experience in the area. Judging by your fist post it looks like you have little experience in the area and that could prove to be a disaster once the hunt starts and you don't have a quality plan A, B, C, D ect. Meanwhile the outfitters clients will be shooting the bulls you waited 22 years to hunt.

Utah archery hunts are tough even on the best LE units and there won't be a big bull behind every bush.

OP
U

Ursus

FNG
That makes a lot of sense. I admit I don’t know what a guide would charge so I’ll look into it.
Thank you again for your time and information.

Any of the outfitters worth using are going to be $8-10k and they'll book up very quickly once the draw results are available. I'd be talking to them now and put a deposit down if you're confident that you'll draw. If you want to go guided don't drag your feet or they'll all be booked by the time you make up your mind.

OP
U

Ursus

FNG
That makes a ton of sense. I know Mossback and Black Timber are working down there. I’ll do some research.
Thanks again

OP
U

Ursus

FNG
That’s correct. Just been waiting for my once-in-a-lifetime/LE chance.

Gbfan

FNG
With the new management plans I decided to gamble that this would be an excellent year to draw the SJER bow tag. I have 22 points and the weather here is the usual Spring Psychotic of hypothermia one day and heat stroke the next so it’sa good time to research.
My first question is about elevation and where these elk like to spend their late Augusts and Septembers. My natural inclination is 9,000 feet to the highest peak. However, I watched a YouTube video where they were stalking a bull and the wind turbines were right behind the Bull on camera. I realize that elk can be anywhere they want but do you typically find them that low on this unit in September?
Second question: while doing the eScouting and using the distance measuring tool on GoogleEarth it seems that there are rare few spots more than a mile from a road or ATV trail. While I realize that elevation gain can be the same as distance when it comes to getting away from people is it worth it to spike/bivvy camp on this unit?
Are you only inquiring about the elk ridge side of the unit? Far from an expert on the SJ, but I did spend some time on it chasing bears one year. I wouldn't see a point in spiking out for elk. Day hikes in and out seemed to work just fine.

OP
U

Ursus

FNG
Thank you, I appreciate the information. I was trying not to ask for honey holes so left it San Juan and Elk Ridge.
Thanks again

David-D

FNG
You'll find them just about everywhere, even in the low desert. You'll have to find some deep hell holes to get that 400 incher. Start at the notch.

Killed quite a few cows on the SJ on late season rifle hunts. It’s steep and lots of oak brush. Be careful on the skyline trail if you take an atv on it. I rolled my atv on it and lost it more than 800 feet down the mountain and I rolled about 100 feet myself. Definitely not what it used to be.

Killed quite a few cows on the SJ on late season rifle hunts. It’s steep and lots of oak brush. Be careful on the skyline trail if you take an atv on it. I rolled my atv on it and lost it more than 800 feet down the mountain and I rolled about 100 feet myself. Definitely not what it used to be.
Hey man, a guy turned in a late archery SJ.
I have extremely limited time to make a decision. Any help??? I’m scrambling.
Also, I’m just up the road in Durango