Salt Lake City

GodSpeed1

Lil-Rokslider
Guys,
Hope you are great. Please give me your thoughts on Living in the Salt Lake area. My state is slowly going down the toilet in Colorado it seems. Legislators here are trying to illegalize gun ownership, buying guns, & trying to make it so you are tracked if you so as much as buy a case of ammunition or a tent. What the heck. & they just released a dozen wolves. Tell me about Salt Lake. Do they have OTC elk hunting opportunities for residents? (like we, [for-the-time-being] have here in Colorado?) I'm just trying to learn more about other areas. God bless America

Last edited:

Westhunt

FNG
Salt Lake itself is a miserable place to live IMO. The surrounding areas are pretty nice, though. There are plenty of OTC opportunities. However, the OTC quality isn't as nice as Colorado. Limited entry has really high quality, but getting a tag is pretty rough. You can buy an archery tag every year and go hunt.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

SLC is not a good place to live. As others have said surrounding areas are much nicer. Either way you will deal with a commute to work and horrible traffic 90% of the time. I hate going to Utah from Idaho. If it's south of Ogden you might as well double your commute time until you're out of Spanish Fork.

I grew up in Wyoming though and hate traffic and alot of populated places. I'm a country boy at heart so my opinion is based on growing up on a ranch in a town of 3k people and 100 in my graduating class. Take my advice with a grain of salt if your used to cities and alot of people.

Last edited:

CorbLand

WKR
I avoid SLC as much as possible. Ogden to Provo is crowded, traffic sucks and the politics will pretty much be what your leaving, although on a local level, not state.

Way better places to live than SLC and Utah wouldn't be my first choice if you want hunting opportunity. Yes there are OTC options but there are way better OTC options in other states.

OP
G

GodSpeed1

Lil-Rokslider
I avoid SLC as much as possible. Ogden to Provo is crowded, traffic sucks and the politics will pretty much be what your leaving, although on a local level, not state.

Way better places to live than SLC and Utah wouldn't be my first choice if you want hunting opportunity. Yes there are OTC options but there are way better OTC options in other states.
I like it. states like?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Guys,
Hope you are great. Please give me your thoughts on Living in the Salt Lake area. My state is slowly going down the toilet in Colorado it seems. Legislators here are trying to illegalize gun ownership, buying guns, & trying to make it so you are tracked if you so as much as buy a case of ammunition or a tent. What the heck. & they just released a dozen wolves. Tell me about Salt Lake. Do they have OTC elk hunting opportunities for residents? (like we, [for-the-time-being] have here in Colorado?) I'm just trying to learn more about other areas. God bless America
Salt Lake County in general is pretty left leaning so if that's what your trying to escape you'll end up disappointed.

Hunting wise Utah is barren waste land of limited hunting tag opportunities. You can get elk archery tag annually but the vast majority of the state is spike bull only. Archery dates end typically during the pre- rut so can make for some really tough hunts. Rifle spike elk tags are capped and sell out fairly quickly.

About any state that touches Utah is a better choice for hunting and I'm not just saying that because I live here.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

jeremy.b

Lil-Rokslider
Having lived 3 1/2 years in the Salt Lake valley, I was ecstatic to get the opportunity to go full-time remote and move back near family.

There are worse places to live, but there are certainly better as well.

TBH you'll be challenged with left-leaning politics in MANY moderate to large population centers. There are a few that stand out but population centers seem to attract that challenging set of mindsets.

As a Utahn that hunts Colorado annually (on landowner tags), I’d give my left nut to live in Colorado as far as hunting goes. Sure politics may suck, but your hunting opportunities as a resident are so much better.. stay in Colorado, if you have to move, go to Wyoming for what you are looking for..

OP
G

GodSpeed1

Lil-Rokslider
As a Utahn that hunts Colorado annually (on landowner tags), I’d give my left nut to live in Colorado as far as hunting goes. Sure politics may suck, but your hunting opportunities as a resident are so much better.. stay in Colorado, if you have to move, go to Wyoming for what you are looking for..
Just not going to be happy if they take away archery OTC residents you know what I mean? They have a proposal in the works for that now - don't know if it'll pass or not but fingers crossed that it doesn't!

Gerbdog

WKR
From what the response looks like from CO, OTC is going away for archery for everyone, including residents. Not pleased, but, i can see their view.... i think.... if i squint....

Even if OTC archery elk gets taken away for residents (which I’d be shocked if that was the case), your hunting options as a resident in Colorado are still 10x what we have in Utah..

bwhit175

FNG
I wouldn't want to live within 45 minutes of Salt Lake City. We are about an hour north and I'm within a 3 hour drive of about 5 different states while still living in the country. Utah is great, but not if you are in the bigger cities.

As mentioned the Salt Lake valley is crowded. There are great places in Utah, some pretty close to SLC in my opinion. I live 35 minutes from downtown and have an acre of land but my community is growing a lot. Since you posted this in the elk section I will give my opinion on elk hunting here. You can get a spike or any bull tag every year. The spike tags are like finding a needle in a haystack. Those hunts are on the limited entry areas so the haystack can be amazing. The any bull tags are for low elk density areas that everyone is funneled into. As you can imagine they get very crowded. You have to bring a lot of patience if you hunt those areas. Even if you pack miles in you will find other hunters. Also those tags sell out in a day. Simply put there is good opportunity to get OTC elk tags but the quality of the hunt is lacking.

OP
G

GodSpeed1

Lil-Rokslider
From what the response looks like from CO, OTC is going away for archery for everyone, including residents. Not pleased, but, i can see their view.... i think.... if i squint....
Yea I don't know if I can brother they making it hard for folks who call this area home

OP
G

GodSpeed1

Lil-Rokslider
Even if OTC archery elk gets taken away for residents (which I’d be shocked if that was the case), your hunting options as a resident in Colorado are still 10x what we have in Utah..
only time will tell the outcome

OP
G

GodSpeed1

Lil-Rokslider
As mentioned the Salt Lake valley is crowded. There are great places in Utah, some pretty close to SLC in my opinion. I live 35 minutes from downtown and have an acre of land but my community is growing a lot. Since you posted this in the elk section I will give my opinion on elk hunting here. You can get a spike or any bull tag every year. The spike tags are like finding a needle in a haystack. Those hunts are on the limited entry areas so the haystack can be amazing. The any bull tags are for low elk density areas that everyone is funneled into. As you can imagine they get very crowded. You have to bring a lot of patience if you hunt those areas. Even if you pack miles in you will find other hunters. Also those tags sell out in a day. Simply put there is good opportunity to get OTC elk tags but the quality of the hunt is lacking.
Yea I can relate to the crowds for sure thanks for the insight