Salomon Trail Runners??

J-Daddy

WKR
OK, anyone hunt in Salomon Trail Runners??? Something like the Salomon X Ultra TGX.
I'll be honest with you, in warm weather I HATE wearing boots, my feet sweat like crazy and I just like the lighter weight of a shoe like that. Next year I'm planning a mule deer hunt out in western Wyoming, it'll be in the first part of the archery season so hopefully the weather is still pretty warm when we go and I'm really thinking about a shoe like this. As of right now I'm not sure if we will be doing a full on back pack hunt or only day style hunts. It'll be all spot n' stalk hunting either way though and I want something light and quiet for that. So I'm thinking a shoe like this and some light weight gaiters from REI or something like that so I can keep my feet dry.

aggieland

WKR
Me and my dad used the Solomon XA Pro 3D Ultras and loved them. Considering the taller version this year or the Wings Sky GTX .. Pretty nice

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I have used the same shoes Aggie mentions above as well for a few years now. However, they are at the end of their life as of late with the soles delaminating and lacing system worn and even a hole in the top of the shoe. Not Salomon's fault though they are great shoes, I have just used the heck out of them. I am going to be giving the Speed Cross IIs a shot this go round though as they are a bit lighter and have some gnarly traction. It really depends on the hunt though. If I was just straight caribou hunting or black bear hunting I'd opt for the Salomon's but if its a mountain hunt give me the extra support of a quality mountain boot like Lowa Sheephunters, or we'll see this year how I like Hanwag Alaskan's and Mountain Lites.

OP
J-Daddy

J-Daddy

WKR
The materials are pretty nice but I think they run a bit narrow for my flintstone feet... Make sure you try a few different comparable brands...
J-
www.TheNewMexicoSportsman.com
Yeah that's the thing I have to worry about too, I've got wide feet and that can be a pain sometimes...I know I've never found a pair of Danner boots that fit me worth a crap because of that.

Jordan

Lil-Rokslider
I love mine, I wear out a pair of XA Pro 3d Ultra GTX every year. They are great for most of the year, don't do that well with snow and tend to break down quickly when packing a heavy load. But they don't give me bilsters and that's the most important thing. I have a heck of a time finding a boot that fits so these will continue to be my 1st out until I find something. Paired up with gaiters and there really nice in wet weather too.

OP
J-Daddy

J-Daddy

WKR
I think when we head out to WY next year I'll sport some of them...Get some short gaiters and be good to go I think.
Talked to my buddy out there about the area he's gonna put us in to hunt "he was a professional guide there for about 10 years" and he's saying we won't have a super deep hike to get in some of the areas he knows...Couple miles at most and pretty easy hiking for the elevation we will be in "up to 10,000ft". I don't think I'll be pulling an Aron and packing 100lbs out "he's got pack horses if need be" so I think the Salomon's will be the thing to rock out there. Light weight, comfortable & water proof "plus quieter than heavy boots" sounds like a good plan to me...I know the FMP guys run them all the time for mule deer hunting, seem to work for them.