Salomon quest winter for elk hunting?

AgentP

Lil-Rokslider
IMG_5562.png
Does anyone have any experience elk hunting with the Salomon Quest Winter thinsulate? I need a pair of insulated boots but these drew my eyes over the danner pronghorns because I do a lot of other winter activities and would enjoy the versatility of them for snowshoeing and winter hiking. Can’t find much in terms of people hunting in them online though

I have a set for sale, I haven’t tried hunting in them. The insulation is nice. It’s 200g which gives you a little warmth without roasting your feet when you’re hiking.

OP
A

AgentP

Lil-Rokslider
I have a set for sale, I haven’t tried hunting in them. The insulation is nice. It’s 200g which gives you a little warmth without roasting your feet when you’re hiking.

Unfortunately those would be massive on my feet

Jbxl20

WKR
I’ve had a few pairs of regular quests. I wear them for work everyday and love them for comfort but waterproofing and durability aren’t the greatest even when new.

OP
A

AgentP

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had a few pairs of regular quests. I wear them for work everyday and love them for comfort but waterproofing and durability aren’t the greatest even when new.
Any recommendations on a better boot?

I have tried many different pairs of quest boots, and I enjoy using them. I've never tried the winter version, but all the others work well for me and don't really require any sort of break-in period. I take them out of the box and go!

I personally can't do insulated boots, I run too damn hot. I also am not a fan of Danner boots after wearing through a pair in ~18 months of "light use".

My roommate has hunted Idaho elk the last few years into late November using Salomon quest 4's. I think they are damn near the same boot as your photo, just not insulated. They held up fine in wet/snowy conditions with a pair of gaiters. If you find a pair for a good deal and they fit well, I'd give 'em a try.

poboy2214

FNG
I used the regular quests for a long time and they were the best performing boot I’ve owned. Pair them with some gaiters and you’ll be fine (I use outdoor research, I think they were like $25 on sale). Personally, I’m not a fan of insulated boots unless I’m sitting in a tree stand but to each their own.

Bachto

WKR
Get leather boots for winter, Crispi Nevada uninsulated. They will last way longer and hold up better. If you want slightly insulated they make them with 200g.

NMBigGame

FNG
I've hunted in normal Quests in winter with gaitors and they worked well. Salomon Quests are what I run all the time. Love the boots. Only thing to consider in the winter is if you're doing a long glassing session in the snow you'll need to do something else to keep your feet warm. I usually untie, add another thick sock and just loosely tie back. I have been thinking about those insulated booties. Might have to give them a try next winter hunt.