Salewa Alp Trainer Mid GTX

Jager

WKR
Being a bit of a boot nut, I am always checking out different boots that are available, bit like looking over different packs all the time, I am sure most here can relate to this, ha ha.

Anyway, I was recently researching some hunting pants, and came across this Salewa boot on an arborist site.

I am just completely a^&l when it comes to boots, always preferring lightweight models. Before my last Sambar trip I was going to order a pair of the Salomon 4D GTX boots but never got around to it. I spotted these boots and they appeared to tick a lot of the right boxes (for me), so after some research bought a pair.

I got them on my feet, complete with a new pair of Wigwam Merino's and headed out into the hills for a quick hitout. The most standout feature, apart from being very light for an ultra supportive boot, was the fact that the lacing system allows you to adjust lacing tension perfectly, a bit here or a bit there, never had a pair lace this well before.

First wander, as in any new footwear, a little bit stiff, a few more k's over the next couple of days and adjusting the lacing, they are know feeling pretty good. Plenty of grip on the sole, I will mention here that I was traversing grassy and rocky slopes to muddy creek crossings.

I am not big on trying to have my boots stay waterproof, be good if you could, but I go by the adage, 'if your going into the field, you are going to get wet feet', so
waterproofness of a boot is definitely not a selling point to me. Know, my second hitout was the morning after a torrential storm, so the long grass was very wet, feet stayed dry, and after another wander this morning, feet still dry, pretty impressed with these all round so far.

Will keep an update happening for interests sake.

Thanks for looking.

three5x5s

WKR
I have a pair of these boots. I love them. They are really quite, they grip very good on rock. Been a Saloman fan for years, but I like the Alp better.

OP
Jager

Jager

WKR
Lawnboi, like any new boot they need to loosen up a bit, and I havn't worn them enough to say so. Atm, the sole may be stiff due to the rand needing to break in a bit. However for me, I am finding them very comfortable and plenty flexible for hunting the hills.

edg1967

WKR
I bought a used pair of these from another member who had about 10 miles on them. My feet are kind of jacked-up from Plantar Fasciitis so are pretty sensitive to too stiff of a boot. I always replace factory insoles with Sole insoles on all my shoes and boot including running shoes to help with this, but in a stiff boot such as a Lowa Tibet or Kenetrek Hardscrabble, even that doesn't help. Now, from my use of these over the past week, I have found them very comfortable and fairly flexible. Not as flexible as a my Lowa Renegades, but more flexible than the Tibets that I used to have. I have not had the opportunity to wear them hunting or hiking, but I did have a pretty strenuous day of following my wife around the mall yesterday while wearing them. Normally my feet kill me the next day after doing that even when wearing running shoes, but they feel pretty good today…not good enough to go back to the mall for another year or so, but not bad either.

Bringing this back up Jager... Was going to try the Hanwag Mtn Lites this year but these are intriguing for sure. What kind of foot do you have? I have a long/narrow foot. Have you tried any Hanwags, Asolos, or Kennetreks? Which fit your feet the best if so... Thanks bud

Mike

OP
Jager

Jager

WKR
Hey Mike,

I have just spent the week hunting in these, from rocky mountain bluffs to creek lines, seriously most comfy pair I have owned..

No I havn't tried any of the brands you mentioned.

I have a short wide foot.

The place I bought mine from have them for about $170 atm.

Well I'm in need of a pair of lightweight scouting/early season boots/shoes. Just ordered a pair of their Wildfire GTX shoes! For what I paid for them I really can't complain either way... If I like them this summer I will likely order a pair of the mid height boots for late season hunts. Excited to get into a pair of lightweight "low drag" shoes and see how I like them. Plus they'll look good on the bass boat too haha

Btw got back on insurance and am getting my knees checked out May 14th. Just in time to let me know how my season will go :)

Mike

OP
Jager

Jager

WKR
Jager, how do these handle heavy pack weight? Does it give enough support?

Ironman8, they offer plenty of support with a heavy pack on.

As a few know, I have had both my knees reconstructed and feel confident leaping around the bush in these boots.

Mike be interested to hear how your shoes go.

Good luck with the knees, hope the medicos can get things sorted.

Ironman8

WKR
Thanks for the reply Jager. I'll have to check these out. I really like that the laces go down to the toe.

ethan

WKR
I bought a pair of these recently and really like them, a lot! They are light enough to wear on light hikes and just kicking around, but offer enough support for serious backpacking. The boots are very well made and I haven't had any problems with getting wet feet, but haven't had them get totally submersed yet. Interestingly, if you get a blister or hot spot in these boots they will refund your money. Says a lot for their confidence in their product.