Sako vs Tikka

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
They are nice rifles… just depends on your priorities… tikkas shoot really good, they are light and have a relatively good factory trigger… tikkas are utilitarian, and damn good at it

Rifles don’t have any nostalgic meaning to me, they are just hunting tools, and you may enjoy the nostalgia of a fine crafted rifle
You want a killing machine tikka all the way as is…….nothing to look at other than the grip and grins💯

HiMtnHntr

WKR
I have both. Similar quality. Action on the Sako is tighter, with 3 lug bolt. I do like that. 4 in the mag for a 300 wsm is nice, too. That said, accuracy is comparable.

morgaj1

WKR
Good information, as I never had any experience with a Sako, just heard they were a top tier gun. Picked up an older Tikka years ago, I believe an SA in .243 that my ex has. That gun is what turned me on to Tikka, with an oiled walnut stock that has a palm swell like no other gun I held that fits like a glove. Little disappointed they didn't keep the palm swell in current production.

The Tikka Forrest has the palm swell. I have one in 30-06 and love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
Sako is quite a bit nicer than Tikka. All metal, simi CRF, action length tailored to cartridge, very nice wood (if that is what you want). However, the Sako has very little aftermarket support, so it is either exactly what you want, or you are having to pay for custom work to replace anything.

The Sako has one of the best magazine designs of any rifle for hunting.

I ended up selling my Sako due to lack of aftermarket parts and even difficulty sourcing factory parts.

OP
T

T3X

FNG
The Tikka Forrest has the palm swell. I have one in 30-06 and love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So they do still have that design. Forest is what I wanted to order in the first place at Cabela's to use gift cards that accumulated, but they had no timeline when they would see a wood stock in inventory(at least another year).
Can you post some pics of your Forest and a close up of the palm swell? Website shots are hard to see much detail.

bcnorth

FNG
I went with a sako 85 finnlight in 7mm rem mag. $$ was the reason i nearly went with the Tikka but this was going to be my gun that hunts everything - wolves, deer and up to buffalo. If it was just a deer gun i would have bought tikka.

Tikka is a great gun but if you can afford it, you wont regret buying the Sako. It adds to the experience. The same as buying the best pack u can, it is slightly better.

Any real benefit of enclosed receiver like the Tikka over an open receiver like Sako or Browning XBolt?