Sako vs Tikka

T3X

FNG
How much difference is there in quality/fit/finish between Sako and Tikka, past and present? Quite a jump in price for a Sako, that much better?

vonb

Lil-Rokslider
Same barrels. More metal in Sakos such as trigger guard and magazine. No difference in accuracy. Fit and finish is better on the Sako.

OutHeavy

FNG
^ this. Having owned both I believe the quality is equal while fit and finish both go to Sako. Because the Tikka has some plastic parts it gives the perception of being more fragile, although I've never had a part fail on it. For what it's worth to you my experience has been that they are equally accurate.

Reactions: T3X

stvnshnn

Lil-Rokslider
Had a Tikka T3 in .30-06. Great gun, shot and carried well. Sold it and have a a Sako Finnlight 85 in .300wm. I have not a single regret.
Both are very accurate. Both are reliable. I bought the Sako on here used and feel like I got a good deal on it. For me, that definitely plays into how much I like it.
Everything the Tikka did, the Sako does better. Whether or not it’s worth the extra $ is up to the owner.
I would say if you want a gun to be a great gun, buy the Sako. If you want a project to put into a new stock, try out different bottom metal, etc buy the Tikka.
Honestly, you won’t be disappointed in either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sako has a three position safety and a few other enhancements as well. Based on my limited experience I would agree with the commemts anout performance being roughly equal. as mentioned, sako aftermarket parts are pretty thin whereas tikka has joined others as part of the build-a-gun workshop world. Plenty of ways to tinker with a tikka now.

OP
T

T3X

FNG
Good information, as I never had any experience with a Sako, just heard they were a top tier gun. Picked up an older Tikka years ago, I believe an SA in .243 that my ex has. That gun is what turned me on to Tikka, with an oiled walnut stock that has a palm swell like no other gun I held that fits like a glove. Little disappointed they didn't keep the palm swell in current production.

Ondavirg

Lil-Rokslider
I have a couple tikkas and a couple sakos. Both actions are as smooth as the get. I really like the Sako’s double stack magazine allowing an extra round as well as the bolt release button which allows you to cycle the bolt with the safety on. Aftermarket support favors the tikka. Fierce May be the only company doing Sako 85 inlets these days. T3x and Sako 85s take the same barrels though. I’ve heard that the 85s are no longer in production and a new model will be released this year, but who knows with the current situation in Europe.

I like my tikkas, but my sakos are my favorite rifles. They are what I grab first from the safe.

I have owned sako, sako a7, and tikka

The a7’s are more tikka than sako, besides that, I would personally go with tikka and put the stock of my choice on it… sako are more refined, but I like tikkas just as well.

There are a couple sako I would like to own, but a finnlight vs t3x, I would go with tikka myself

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Sako 85 is a decent step up from Tikka T3X. Probably not worth the money but here’s what you get that tikka doesn’t offer…

.Action size and bolt sized for the rifle chambering.

.Metal trigger guard

.Flush mount double stack stainless mag (more rounds and flush mount)

.Set trigger option

.Many stock options from laminate wood, hard wood, polymer, and even carbon fiber.

Fit and finish overall is nicer as well as feel and balance. I’ve taken apart 4 Sako 85s and 5 Tikkas. Every single Sako had action screws and trigger screw torqued much higher than the Tikkas. Not sure if due to all metal parts versus plastic but after 4 of each it was no coincidence. All 4 of the Sakos had much higher factory torque values on all the major screws.

Love my Sako 85 Grizzlys.. 30-06 and 308.. The Sako 85s are close to custom rifles. The fit, finish and performance is exceptional…You will pay more for the Sako but it will be a collector rifle and the Tikkas will not be……. My Sakos point like a lazer beam, the fit to my body is exceptional like a fine pointing shotgun… Get the Sako you will not regret it!

Nostalgia…1 of the first animals I ever killed was an antelope in MT that I shot with my dad’s best friend’s Sako bull barreled 220 Swift. Almost 35 years ago!! So I literally grew up knowing Sakos were top tier.
Now I own several. I also have 2 completely custom build, high end rifles, set up for long range. But to this day, probably my favorite rifle is my Sako Laminate Varmitor 22-250 with a set trigger. Me and my boys literally laugh like school girls while we shoot less than.5 MOA groups at over 4000fps.
In my opinion, Sako actions cannot be beat. I think they’re worth it. I rebarreled my wife’s Sako 300WM with a short, light, carbon barrel and it’s dialed in for long range. It’s absolutely awesome.
I do think Tikka is a good option, especially if you’re stripping it and building. But if you can save the $, go Sako.

vonb

Lil-Rokslider
One thing I like on my Sako that the Tikka can’t do is top loading the magazine when I’m the gun. I hate having to remove the mag to put the rounds in it.

My bad T3X… I got to reminiscing about generational rifles.
The most notable difference is the stainless steel double stack clip vs. the plastic 3-shot single stack. I also really like how the Sako mag locks in and you have to use your thumb and index finger to release the mag.

OP
T

T3X

FNG
My bad T3X… I got to reminiscing about generational rifles.
The most notable difference is the stainless steel double stack clip vs. the plastic 3-shot single stack. I also really like how the Sako mag locks in and you have to use your thumb and index finger to release the mag.
All good, wouldn't mind picking up an older Sako down the road.

OP
T

T3X

FNG
I thought Beretta was nothing more than the import company, like Ithaca was to Tikka years ago. Nothing to do with manufacturing.

All good, wouldn't mind picking up an older Sako down the road.
They are nice rifles… just depends on your priorities… tikkas shoot really good, they are light and have a relatively good factory trigger… tikkas are utilitarian, and damn good at it

Rifles don’t have any nostalgic meaning to me, they are just hunting tools, and you may enjoy the nostalgia of a fine crafted rifle

OP
T

T3X

FNG
So far a new Tikka T3X lite 6.5cm added to the safe last month. Sounds like I couldn't go wrong with either, just a lighter wallet with Sako.