Sako S20 First 6 shots

fwafwow

WKR
As I’ve just posted in another S20 thread, I’m struggling to come up with reasons why I should NOT buy one of these on sale now. The best I can come up with:
  1. 6.5 CM ammo is more expensive than 223. (I guess so is all of my other ammo.)
  2. I will have to go back thru the 6.5 threads to figure out 77 TMK equivalents. (Ok. I’m game.)
  3. I will need to send it out for threading - and maybe shortening. (Ok.)
  4. With 16.5” RSS and this, why do I keep my threaded Coopers in 25-06 and 30-06?
  5. As soon as I buy this, Sako or Tikka will come out with a 6mm CM.
Except for #5, nine of those seem to be persuasive to me. Can someone talk me out of this rifle?

As I’ve just posted in another S20 thread, I’m struggling to come up with reasons why I should NOT buy one of these on sale now. The best I can come up with:
  1. 6.5 CM ammo is more expensive than 223. (I guess so is all of my other ammo.)
  2. I will have to go back thru the 6.5 threads to figure out 77 TMK equivalents. (Ok. I’m game.)
  4. With 16.5” RSS and this, why do I keep my threaded Coopers in 25-06 and 30-06?
Except for #5, nine of those seem to be persuasive to me. Can someone talk me out of this rifle?
Maybe a weight penalty? But it's not much unless you go with the precision model

kkp005

WKR
#3…. They are already threaded

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
@Ryan Avery hows the ergonomics of that precision stock? It looks similar to my Sako Carbon Wolf stock which is the best factory stock design I’ve ever used. Looks maybe a little longer on trigger reach than the carbon wolf stock but hard to tell.

fwafwow

WKR
Thanks for pointing that out. I might still cut it down.

Does anyone know if the cheek piece and LOP adjustments are limited to the Precision stock?
I think I answered my own question - looks like the LOP and cheek pieces adjust on both.

ThatDUDE

WKR
I have gone back and forth as well. My one hiccup was the fluted barrel, but plenty of people have stated it's not a problem to cut and thread into the flutes. My big hiccup on these is the weight and lack of aftermarket support.

fwafwow

WKR
I have gone back and forth as well. My one hiccup was the fluted barrel, but plenty of people have stated it's not a problem to cut and thread into the flutes. My big hiccup on these is the weight and lack of aftermarket support.
I’m also considering T3X plus RokStock, but that’s going to cost (in total) more than the S20. Does the S20 have the same negative comb raised heel that is expected of the RokStock? Based only on pictures, it looks like the heel of the Hunter stock is below the bore centerline, but the Precision stock is close to the bore centerline.

EDITED - after re-reading @Formidilosus and @SDHNTR discuss the double negative "negative drop at heel"

Last edited:

grfox92

WKR
Would the Sako be considered a step above a Tikka?

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

So it’s like any other Sako… You take it out of the box. Shoot a bullet that’s towards the “lower grain” side of the chambering, and it stacks them.

I’ve owned 6 Sakos from 300 stupid mag down to .204 Ruger… Each one has done something about like this during 200 yard 6-8 shot sight ins (two magazines)…

View attachment 580355
View attachment 580356
Remind me never to loan you my knife....
I was ready to buy a Sako S20 in 6.5 CM then my son threw me a curve....CZ Range 6CM
Pretty amazing it's first time out.