Sako 90

Has anyone here shot one? I really like the aesthetics and features they put in to the 90. I know a tikka will do the same for way less money but life is short and I’ve got plenty of tikkas. Seems like the only batch that has made it to the states went to Euro Optic. Of course they didn’t get any of the hunter stainless models, one of those in .223 or .243 is the only model I’m really interested in. Euro Optics says they have no clue if they will be getting any. I’d be willing to sell some of my surplus collection to pick one up.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I have a 90 Hunter stainless and a 90 Quest.

I like the 90 Hunter stainless because it has the same dovetails as the Tikkas. I have UM Tikka rings on that one. I love the wood stock but the shape sucks after using RokStok and the Quest stock.

The Quest is excellent and the stock fits me great. Fit and finish overall is better than the Tikkas.

Action screws and main trigger screw are torqued tighter than the Tikkas on both rifles. Barrels are very accurate as expected. Actions are a touch faster than Tikka simply because they are sized to the chambering. This can make them feel smoother than Tikka as well.

Flush mount stainless magazine is a thing of beauty and double stack for better capacity. Feeds excellent with zero issues so far. The extraction issues of the 85 on both of mine are non existent.

Barrel twist rates for some cartridges have been improved as well over the 85s. Something they were slacking on for a long time.

Keep an eye on Gunbroker for one to pop up. I got mine pre release because I’m lucky to have friends who work for Sako in Finland.

OP
E
I have a 90 Hunter stainless and a 90 Quest.

I like the 90 Hunter stainless because it has the same dovetails as the Tikkas. I have UM Tikka rings on that one. I love the wood stock but the shape sucks after using RokStok and the Quest stock.

The Quest is excellent and the stock fits me great. Fit and finish overall is better than the Tikkas.

Action screws and main trigger screw are torqued tighter than the Tikkas on both rifles. Barrels are very accurate as expected. Actions are a touch faster than Tikka simply because they are sized to the chambering. This can make them feel smoother than Tikka as well.

Flush mount stainless magazine is a thing of beauty and double stack for better capacity. Feeds excellent with zero issues so far. The extraction issues of the 85 on both of mine are non existent.

Barrel twist rates for some cartridges have been improved as well over the 85s. Something they were slacking on for a long time.

Keep an eye on Gunbroker for one to pop up. I got mine pre release because I’m lucky to have friends who work for Sako in Finland.
Thanks for the input. Can you ask your friends in Finland to strong arm Beretta into importing more to the states lol. It’s like the don’t care at all about the US market. I want the XS action in .223 mostly

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Thanks for the input. Can you ask your friends in Finland to strong arm Beretta into importing more to the states lol. It’s like the don’t care at all about the US market. I want the XS action in .223 mostly
None of them have anything to do with production and product allocation unfortunately. They are on the development side.

The US is a much heavier Tikka market. Europe, Australia, and Scandinavia are heavier Sako markets. US still sells more Sakos than those countries combined but they are more readily available over seas, especially during initial release of new models unfortunately.

OP
E
None of them have anything to do with production and product allocation unfortunately. They are on the development side.

The US is a much heavier Tikka market. Europe, Australia, and Scandinavia are heavier Sako markets. US still sells more Sakos than those countries combined but they are more readily available over seas, especially during initial release of new models unfortunately.
What calibers did you get? I’ve got no problem waiting, it would just be nice to know that they will get here eventually.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Where did you find the hunter in stainless? And is the heel drop from bore line on the quest as much as it looks in pictures?
I think the model is actually a Varmint stainless. This came from Sako direct.

The Quest stock is a slight improvement to the carbon wolf stock from the 85s. It’s not as good of a design as the RokStok but it’s still a really good hunting stock. Anyone who shot my old carbon wolf or this new Quest really likes it after I have them try new grip that works well for most shooters once they learn it.

I don’t know anything about heel drops and bore lines sorry haha. Just know what works in the field and shoots well. Quest stock works very well.

I think the model is actually a Varmint stainless. This came from Sako direct.

The Quest stock is a slight improvement to the carbon wolf stock from the 85s. It’s not as good of a design as the RokStok but it’s still a really good hunting stock. Anyone who shot my old carbon wolf or this new Quest really likes it after I have them try new grip that works well for most shooters once they learn it.

I don’t know anything about heel drops and bore lines sorry haha. Just know what works in the field and shoots well. Quest stock works very well.
The heel is the portion behind the comb that meets the butt pad. The rokstok's heel is above the bore line where all other stocks are below.