Saddle Bags and Packing in without extra stock

Hi All,

For those who don't bring a pack animal, which saddle bags do you use, or are the Trail Max pretty much standard?

Assuming there's grass to graze animals and bringing basically same personal equipment as I'd use on a lightweight backpack trip, how much are you comfortable loading up the bags?

Any tips you've learned from experience when going in simple with just your riding horse?

Are you riding with your hunting backpack on or strapped over the saddle bags, like a cantle bag?

On a WY horseback backcountry trip we would day hunt with the hunting packs on but had pack horses to bring them in on the way to the backcountry camp.

Thanks,

s

Trailmax for me - I have the whole set with horn and cantle bags. I just wear my pack, but it is usually pretty light but the time I stuff everything else into the trailmax bags. My go to horse is a shire thoroughbred cross who is a beast and an awesome mountain horse. I try and keep gear to 40-50lbs in addition to myself. He does good with that.

jthomas

Lil-Rokslider
I use rawhidegear saddle bags but really like the stuff coming from mountainridgegear. Im really interested in the lite meat panniers. They are supposed to be able to be used with a riding saddle, decker, or cross buck. I usually have a pack mule but those lite meat panniers at only 3lbs would be ideal to pack meat out on your riding horse and walk out.

Try to keep bulky but lighter items in the saddle bags and heavier items in the pommel bags as best you can that way you avoid putting too much pressure on your horses kidneys and sections of its back. Are you thinking of hiking in with the horse with saddle panniers then ride out of a spike camp daily? If not, the weight would depend on saddle fit, riding ability, how far in you go, how steep the country, how much you weigh, and the size and confirmation of the horse in my opinion. On downhill sections I would undoubtedly get off and hike.

mcr-85

WKR
These are the ones I use. Not sure the make but they are made out of iron cloth. I carry lunch/snacks, drinks and misc gear in the sides and my spotter wrapped in a jacket and a saw in the cantle bag. I tie my tripod on top or in front of the cantle bag with saddle strings.
493f4761313356db5c5eae36b0c4fbb6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

yfarm

WKR
Try to keep bulky but lighter items in the saddle bags and heavier items in the pommel bags as best you can that way you avoid putting too much pressure on your horses kidneys and sections of its back. Are you thinking of hiking in with the horse with saddle panniers then ride out of a spike camp daily? If not, the weight would depend on saddle fit, riding ability, how far in you go, how steep the country, how much you weigh, and the size and confirmation of the horse in my opinion. On downhill sections I would undoubtedly get off and hike.
Just finished a packing school and the instructor hit this hard. Walk if you are using your equine as a pack animal but specific circumstances change your approach. We weighed and balanced the loads. It was all about protecting the equine. Specifically discouraged the use of saddle bags except for light lunch and rain gear. Was very specific about not using these large combo cantle saddle bags. We maxed loads out at around 150 lbs, had one large Percheron mule at 16.5hh he would go to 170, short trips, flat ground allows more. Saw a guy go in with a full backpack on, loaded bags, guy was about 200, pack horse had one pannier a foot lower on one side by the time he left the parking area. NPS packer was there as well reiterated everything the instructor said. Hauled in sweet feed and alfalfa pellets, grazing isnt adequate if you work them hard. Also if they are a soft ground equine, working in rocks can have them done in 2 days.

Just got back from two weeks in Colorado and spent time at a few different major trail heads.

I saw too many people overloading horse saddle and cantle bags, as well as using the trail max saddle bags with no consideration to weighing anything.

I would highly recommend a set of light panniers so you can individually weigh them. Put one pannier strap across the horn and use the other strap to connect to the opposite pannier. Also breaking your horse to a tight rear cinch is super helpful to maximize your chance for success when packing a riding saddle.

A riding saddle is not meant to be a pack saddle, but with some careful consideration it can get you by.

Also treat the trail max stuff with care, its pretty light duty compared to mom and pop tack stuff.

I got an Erickson saddle out of Ennis,mt. With all the extra rings, rawhide and holes in the cantle it is made for packing. A set of leather ended canvas panniers can be made to fit it so the load can be weighed and balanced. I have even used a lash cinch to stabilize to load. It gives me chance to move items and then use the saddle for riding. I've packed a lot of meat out on it in quarters.

You are correct in that a lot of people with stock need a class or work with a packer enough to figure out what is reasonable for the trip you have planned.

I always use britchen on the saddle. When I put pack saddles on them there isn't anything new for them to get used to.

I use the trail max saddlebags. They have worked well.

I packed exactly like I would if I was going to be on foot, with the exception of what I need to bring to take care of the horses. The only thing that goes in a saddle bag or a cantle bag (packed low I don’t want it full and tall) is horse gear.

Granted I weigh 165 pounds and my backpack for a five day trip will come in around 32lbs so I’m barely reaching the weight of most folks even with my pack on.

I bring a saddle pannier for hauling meat out, which is one reason I keep everything in my backpack and keep it only to hiking weight and gear. Because if we fill a tag, we are hiking.